New home kit 2020-21

Ross

50 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I'm not  a manufacturer so if it is technically impossible then so be it. But is it really a massive task to leave out one band on the back for one production run?

Generally yes. Stopping a production line, retooling, restarting for 50, stopping, retooling and restarting would typically be very expensive and the cost overhead could only be spread across those 50 shirts.

Newer technology can make these things quicker, but downtime and idle machines are still something that any manufacturer of any product wants to avoid.

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

The SPFL have different kit rules and as it stands they would have no issue with us having a full front/back hoop. Big clubs like Celtic produce special European shirts and probably auction them off after use. 

Edit: Also worth noting that I don’t think the strict kit rules fully kick in until teams reach the group stages, as UEFA are mindful of the costs involved. Sadly, as yet we have not reached those lofty heights. 

So, in view of that, and the extremely unlikely event of our progressing in Europe to later stages,  we could maintain our tradition without much fear of losing some money if we get to the later stages.

Thanks for clarifying anyway, ubh.

• Like 2

To be honest, in the 50 odd years I've been following MFC I'd guess about half of our kits have had no hoop/band at all.

The first games I went to were in 1970, and until 1984/85 we had less than one season with a hoop. All the other seasons were either plain shirts or the diagonal sash.

So my formative, mpressionable years as a 'Well fan were very much with no hoop or band.

I've said before that I understand that younger fans don't have the emotional attachment to the hoop that older codgers do. Some remember the hoopless jersey when we gubbed Spurs or the "sash" with Pettigrew and Graham, others the anodyne strip when we won the cup in '91, and we could go on from there, even the appalling jester outfit of nightmares.

To me , we have almost unique colours and, in the hoop, a unique pattern but  the club has, for various reasons, chosen to move away from those features.  I actually deplore that but will always support the team  irrespectively.  I  just wish the club had more respect for its rich history. For quite a lot of the time, and  since 1968 in particular, it wasn't too sure even  what amber meant, fgs. Other clubs seem to honour their history. Once you break the chain,  it becomes more difficult to maintain continuity.

Anyhow, has anyone cleaned  the yella splashes off the POD steps in the interval?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

So, in view of that, and the extremely unlikely event of our progressing in Europe to later stages,  we could maintain our tradition without much fear of losing some money if we get to the later stages.

Thanks for clarifying anyway, ubh.

A good example. Celtic in the qualifying rounds (rules relaxed) and Celtic in the ‘proper’ group stage (rules enforced). In the event we reach the ‘proper’ stage our kit would need to be adapted. Up until then we could in theory wear a proper hoop. This is something we have yet to achieve. 

Celtic euro numbers.jpg

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

To be honest, in the 50 odd years I've been following MFC I'd guess about half of our kits have had no hoop/band at all.

From 1970 to now we have had 25 shirts with either a band/hoop. And 10 without. The hoop is dominant even during the period you mentioned.

MFC 50.jpg

• Like 4

Right, but the main argument on here is band vs hoop (and how it's the hoop that is the "traditional" style).  How many true hoops since 1970?

Like I said, my formative years from the ages of about 5 - 20ish were hoopless, and images of guys like Wullie Pettigrew are seared onto my brain wearing the sash kit. So while I am 100% in favour of maintaining traditions and the hoop,  on a purely personal front, the memories of chipmunk crisps, kia-ora and "goal for Pettigrew" will always be emotionally tied to those other styles (even though, aesthetically I'm a big fan of the current version).

It's for much the same reasons I'll never like any change kit more than a white one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Right, but the main argument on here is band vs hoop (and how it's the hoop that is the "traditional" style).  How many true hoops since 1970?

Like I said, my formative years from the ages of about 5 - 20ish were hoopless, and images of guys like Wullie Pettigrew are seared onto my brain wearing the sash kit. So while I am 100% in favour of maintaining traditions and the hoop,  on a purely personal front, the memories of chipmunk crisps, kia-ora and "goal for Pettigrew" will always be emotionally tied to those other styles (even though, aesthetically I'm a big fan of the current version).

It's for much the same reasons I'll never like any change kit more than a white one.

I’m a big hoop/ band fan, but have the same  memories of WP in the sash kit and loved the re run of 15/16 Season

Its a shame that for nearly 15 years 70s to mid 80s the hoop/band disappeared, and in 1991 that we were hoop/band less on that magical  May afternoon......imho ........& don’t get me started on the home white shorts debate !!!!!

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

I’m in my 58th year and yes I loved the 70s sash shirts, the other home tops from that era are in the main instantly forgettable design wise. From the cost cutting plain amber to the short lived final 70s Admiral are two low points from that era. Although I still have a soft spot for our first Admiral home. And, the white Admiral away was a design classic. 

However you said: “in the 50 odd years I've been following MFC I'd guess about half of our kits have had no hoop/band at all.”
The historical kit evidence clearly doesn’t back that up, as the majority had a band or hoop.

The separate issue is... Should the Motherwell home shirt always have a proper claret hoop?
To me there is no debate on that, as our very first shirt in that style had an unbroken hoop. That top set the ground rules which remained intact until season 1969-70. It was only removed due to the hoop stitching repair issues that was mentioned on this forum. The same can be said for the colour. That 1920s shirt was bright amber and set the tone for all subsequent shirts. Sadly the 1970s let the amber slip to yellow, probably due in part to laziness within the club, and the kit providers not giving an arse about our true colour. Luckily we have people in charge now who care about our claret and amber history, and realise we don’t play in maroon and yellow. 

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, Gadgey said:

Why did we have 2 different kits in season 78/79?

The new Admiral ‘fan designed’ kit wasn’t universally liked so we reverted back to the previous Admiral kit. The new kit was produced by Admiral after a competition was launched by then manager Roger Hynd. I was 14 and my lightening bolt sash design (happily?) didn’t make the cut. :lol: Coincidently AS Roma adopted a lightening bolt sash last season, perhaps I was a visionary? 

This was my entry, drawn from memory...

MFC Admiral lightning.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 6:41 AM, MelvinBragg said:

No word on the front of shirt sponsor yet?

I saw today the 'Well Shop has started the process of sending out the pre-ordered away strip. They confirmed the pre-orders will be minus a sponsor on the front.

I don't know where that leaves us regarding the front of shirt sponsor, but it will certainly be a better look.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I saw today the 'Well Shop has started the process of sending out the pre-ordered away strip. They confirmed the pre-orders will be minus a sponsor on the front.

I don't know where that leaves us regarding the front of shirt sponsor, but it will certainly be a better look.

Hopefully there will still be the option for no sponsor once one has been announced.

RE:  a full hoop on the jersey, I  was thinking about those opaque and silly UEFA rules again (which the likes of Sampdoria clearly breach anyway).  While it's ludicrous to suggest a white number over a claret hoop has insufficient contrast, a compromise would be to have a gap  in the central third of the hoop at the back to allow a number to be inserted. Imperfect, I know, but at least it's a nod to the exiatence of a hoop.

Of course, maybe the club doesn't really care about the issue and manufacuters can't be arsed with it anyway. 

Were these daft rules in place when we played in a hoop against Llanelli, incidentally? I was just looking at the game on YT.