New home kit 2020-21

Ross

4 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

RE:  a full hoop on the jersey, I  was thinking about those opaque and silly UEFA rules again (which the likes of Sampdoria clearly breach anyway).  While it's ludicrous to suggest a white number over a claret hoop has insufficient contrast, a compromise would be to have a gap  in the central third of the hoop at the back to allow a number to be inserted. Imperfect, I know, but at least it's a nod to the exiatence of a hoop.

Of course, maybe the club doesn't really care about the issue and manufacuters can't be arsed with it anyway. 

Were these daft rules in place when we played in a hoop against Llanelli, incidentally? I was just looking at the game on YT.

It’s my understanding that the rules are not strictly enforced until you reach the the group stages, something that we have sadly never achieved. This is mainly due to cost as UEFA realise that producing special kits to conform with their numbering rules can be costly. That’s the reason why Celtic have occasionally been allowed to wear  full hoops in qualifying games.

The number/colour contrast issue is the main issue, however, UEFA leave it to the club and the kit manufacturer as to how they interpret the guidelines.  As such most clubs/kit providers will take the easy option and leave the back free of hoops/stripes, unless the club colours are of a similar contrast and the numbers can be easily read. Barcelona’s blue/red striped shirts are a good example as the contrast on both shades are similar allowing white numbers to be easily read. As a designer there are very simple ways to get around the number contrast issues, which for reasons unknown kit providers choose not to address. The way I see it, Motherwell should stipulate that they want a full claret hoop and let the kit provider resolve any contrast issues by adapting the design/shirt font to conform, but still providing a historical look. Personally I’ve never been a fan of the front only band as it reduces it to an advertising space rather than an integral part of the shirt design. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

The way I see it, Motherwell should stipulate that they want a full claret hoop and let the kit provider resolve any contrast issues by adapting the design/shirt font to conform, but still providing a historical look.

You can do that when you are a big team with brand recognition that is going to shift a load of kit (and gets paid for wearing it rather than having to buy it). 

Having said that,  technology is catching up and it probably won't be too long until manufacturers can produce custom shirts for an economical price.

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

It’s my understanding that the rules are not strictly enforced until you reach the the group stages, something that we have sadly never achieved. This is mainly due to cost as UEFA realise that producing special kits to conform with their numbering rules can be costly. That’s the reason why Celtic have occasionally been allowed to wear  full hoops in qualifying games.

The number/colour contrast issue is the main issue, however, UEFA leave it to the club and the kit manufacturer as to how they interpret the guidelines.  As such most clubs/kit providers will take the easy option and leave the back free of hoops/stripes, unless the club colours are of a similar contrast and the numbers can be easily read. Barcelona’s blue/red striped shirts are a good example as the contrast on both shades are similar allowing white numbers to be easily read. As a designer there are very simple ways to get around the number contrast issues, which for reasons unknown kit providers choose not to address. The way I see it, Motherwell should stipulate that they want a full claret hoop and let the kit provider resolve any contrast issues by adapting the design/shirt font to conform, but still providing a historical look. Personally I’ve never been a fan of the front only band as it reduces it to an advertising space rather than an integral part of the shirt design. 

Pretty much my thoughts too. Where there is a will, and all that..........

• Like 1

One simple legible number ‘solver’ is to thicken the line around the characters. This helps to visually separate the white section from the darker base colour, if the outline is too thin it won’t have the same separation effect. Although worth noting we have no control over the font chosen by the SPFL, however, in euro competitions we can choose our own font so this would not be an issue.

Personally I can’t see how UEFA or the officials would have a problem approving this. The other way to aid the contrast issue would be slightly darken the amber shade and take it back to the original marginally darker 1913 shade. This would allow the white to pop even more when placed on top of amber. 

Motherwell back.jpg

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

One simple legible number ‘solver’ is to thicken the line around the characters. This helps to visually separate the white section from the darker base colour, if the outline is too thin it won’t have the same separation effect. Although worth noting we have no control over the font chosen by the SPFL, however, in euro competitions we can choose our own font so this would not be an issue.

Personally I can’t see how UEFA or the officials would have a problem approving this. The other way to aid the contrast issue would be slightly darken the amber shade and take it back to the original marginally darker 1913 shade. This would allow the white to pop even more when placed on top of amber. 

Motherwell back.jpg

Yes this looks so much better.

Once again UBH :fan:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Is the offical reason for our kit not having a hoop actually due to UEFA regulations? 

Yes that was the reason given by Flow a while back on Twitter. I don’t know his exact words but it’s definitely not due to SPFL regulations as full hoops are allowed. 

Edit: The quote.
1003203213_Screenshot2020-06-11at19_54_23.thumb.png.01f7d111a09efee52701750cf18c8427.png.f08dd07e0ebad5ef317ee82c5eb7c187.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Motherwell back.jpg

Sorry, can't see that number :huh:

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, underboyleheating said:

Yes that was the reason given by Flow a while back on Twitter. I don’t know his exact words but it’s definitely not due to SPFL regulations as full hoops are allowed. 

Edit: The quote.
1003203213_Screenshot2020-06-11at19_54_23.thumb.png.01f7d111a09efee52701750cf18c8427.png.f08dd07e0ebad5ef317ee82c5eb7c187.png

Ah, fair enough.

Down with UEFA and their anti-hoopist policies!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 2:26 PM, underboyleheating said:

Celtic played tonights game wearing their SPFL top with full hoops. Confirming  that UEFA do not enforce kit rules during the qualifying games.

celic numbers.jpg

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Wasn't there some nitpicky rule when we last played in it where we couldn't play the official tune or something at our game?

There was.

Basically the stages we are involved in you could play with invisible numbers and UEFA wouldn’t give a monkey’s. The group stages are the only ones that matter, and without being too negative I very much doubt we will ever be involved at that level. So with that in mind, bring back the hoop. :D

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

There was.

Basically the stages we are involved in you could play with invisible numbers and UEFA wouldn’t give a monkey’s. The group stages are the only ones that matter, and without being too negative I very much doubt we will ever be involved at that level. So with that in mind, bring back the hoop. :D

I second that much-too-sensible-to succeed emotion.

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

No matter thoughts of the traditionalists - white shorts with the home kit provide bad ju-ju. Get them in the bin.

The twice I have seen us get relegated (and the twice we avoided it due to a technicality) we wore claret and amber shirt and shorts. Maybe bin those too for bad ju-ju.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Could we not just have a hoop on our regular shirt and a non-hoop change kit (like a classic white with C&A sash) and play the group stages in the change kit? Best of both worlds.

If by some miracle we ever got to the group stage proper I’m sure our shirt supplier could sort something out. This no hoop euro shirt excuse is nonsense as UEFA don’t give a toss about what teams wear in the diddy stages of the tournament. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...