Tait

joewarkfanclub

Tait on Sportsound just now. Claims the club did the dirty on him. He had signed his new contract and was waiting for it to be ratified then Lockdown happened and they tried to change his terms effectively reducing them. Claims Flo said he would call him to discuss and never so he walked away.....

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Tait on Sportsound just now. Claims the club did the dirty on him. He had signed his new contract and was waiting for it to be ratified then Lockdown happened and they tried to change his terms effectively reducing them. Claims Flo said he would call him to discuss and never so he walked away.....

I don't know about 'Flo, obviously, but the club said that they had to reduce a number of contractual offers due to financial constraints. Sadly, no different to other businesses. I can see why those affected feel they were hard done by, but there are tens of millions of people in similar or worse situations. At least footballers can work again - lots of others are still waiting for the chance.

Shite that it happened, but it’s also shite that we’re in the middle of an unprecedented public health crisis. I’m going to guess that the likes of Tait and Hartley would have been on a fair bit, and if last season is anything to go by, they would have been squad players. Sounds like communication left a lot to be desired, but in this situation I’d prefer to see the club be responsible with their money.

I'm comfortable with the club having to reduce terms previously offered/agreed before Covid hit. In fact I'd  be more concerned if we weren't doing this where we legally still had the chance to do it. (i.e. where contracts weren't actually lodged yet like this scenario).  I wouldnt at all be surprised if we end up doing it with contracted players too like Aberdeen and Hibs et. al.

Only heard Tait's side of it but it does seem a bit off if we've just went radio silence at a certain point. I'm guessing someone (agent?) contacted Tait to discuss the reduced terms so perhaps a breakdown in comms between there and the club. I'd imagine if Burrows committed to calling someone he would follow it through.

Disappointing to wash the story in Public, he's got a new team and contract so just leave it at that. There will be hundreds of people going back to work on a lot less than he was on being asked to take a cut to avoid redundancy, just a poor show. Poster saying big Pete was the same sort of situation but only heard him saying good things (up till now). 

Tait has certainly dropped down my ratings, but would never been in my top 10 fullbacks anyway. 

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Sounds like the club have properly fucked him over if what he says is true.

It depends. 

You can pitch this story from a number of angles and one would have been Tait to come out and say that we had originally agreed a deal but because of Covid we tried (understandably) to renegotiate. Tait says understands this but was disappointed and decided to try his luck elsewhere.

I liked Tait as we all did. But at a time when literally millions are losing or going to be losing their jobs or having reduced work weeks or reduced contracts then this is a non story. I work in corporate travel (For now) and almost every company is cutting between 30-50% of staff so forgive me for not getting overly upset at this on behalf of Tait. 

Edit to add - at a time when from media reports Hibs, Aberdeen and Celtic have asked or will be asking their players to take pay cuts.  

Be interesting to hear the clubs perspective on this. Absolutely no issues if hard decisions had to be made, the clubs survival is always paramount. Just doesnt sound like the way we would normally do business. We are normally very good at dealing with players in these type of situations.

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yes 2 sides to every story so hard to take sides. I was massive Dicky Tait fan and would rather see a wage spent on him than another unknown non league player.  But again we dont know full facts...COYW

We signed Tait from “non league”Grismby who ironically had just beat ForestGreen Rovers to get promoted To the football league......Tait had only  played one season in the football league 14/15  Cambridge  prior to signing for us..........NathanMcGinley has never played non league football

Rumour I heard he was  obsessed  with becoming a personal trainer ............was warned repeatedly about spending to much time in the gym bulking up in the gym.......only saying

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

We signed Tait from “non league”Grismby who ironically had just beat ForestGreen Rovers to get promoted To the football league......Tait had only  played one season in league football  Cambridge  prior to signing for us..........NathanMcGinley has never played non league football

Rumour I heard he was  obsessed  with becoming a personal trainer ............was warned repeatedly about spending to much time in the gym bulking up in the gym.......only saying

I had mentioned to pals during the seaon that it seemed strange that Tait had lost some pace despite how obessed he seemed to be with his fitness and that maybe he had put on too much muscle.  He isnt that old so you wouldnt expect his legs to be giving way so dramatically. If the club had an issue with that though, why offer him a new contract at all?

TBH, like most (if not all) posters on here, I've had periods of unemployment and been made redundant a couple of times.  From that perspective, some footballers seem to think they are special and should never be subjected to the same employment issues the rest of us deal with. Bottom line is that he was out of contract and a new one wasn't signed. If you're a professional, you suck it up and move on.  Running to the media to complain makes you sound like a bit of a prima donna.

When he left, he left with my good wishes. Now, I don't really care.

He rejected contract offers when given to him jan/feb for increased wage. Tait turns it down which he is obliged to do. COVID occurs and season ends. He then returns contract which he had previously rejected which he had then signed. Club then rightly so offers new contract with Tait on same terms with perks as previously on (even though he is not in first team picture).  Leaves for St.Mirren.

Tait was a good servant for the club and I do believe that it was a miscommunication with management and player. Sour note to end spell though.

I don't think anyone did anything wrong in regards to the contract per se, I can see both points of view, but our statement seems a bit petty especially when it's going on about being 'disheartened' and 'accusations'.

I don't think we should be going public on this at all but if we are the club should be above emotional language in press releases.

Also what do other players think when they see a history of a  former colleagues contract negotiations plastered all over the press?  Probably aren't that impressed.  I wouldn't be.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't think anyone did anything wrong in regards to the contract per se, I can see both points of view, but our statement seems a bit petty especially when it's going on about being 'disheartened' and 'accusations'.

I don't think we should be going public on this at all but if we are the club should be above emotional language in press releases.

Also what do other players think when they see a history of a  former colleagues contract negotiations plastered all over the press?  Probably aren't that impressed.  I wouldn't be.

The player is the one that has went public.

I would prefer club speaking out rather than saying nothing at all so others can see there side of the story. 

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The bold part should have been a huge red flag :D

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm get what you mean but I think the statement and use of a couple of emotive words actually works well in this instance. Strikes the right tone for me anyway.

We need to stand up for ourselves given Tait went public with his grievance and I think the full story is the only way to do that. The full story is more accurate than Tait's take on the matters. Had he not accused the club of taking advantage I doubt we would really have commented. We need to stand up for ourselves in that regard 

Tait's complaint simply makes no sense. Well can't 'take advantage' of a situation arising which makes us broke. It's not a matter of wanting or not wanting a player, it's a matter ofongoing assessment and prioritising. The reality is that a change in financial circumstances has forced us into reassessment (see also every football club on planet Earth right now), and that reassessment rightly included renegotiation in the terms of an unfinalised contract with a veteran/fringe player. 

There is a lot if sympathy and good will towards Tait as a popular player who contributed a lot to the club, but imo he is old enough and smart enough to absorb the realities of the the situation, and either sign up, or move on, without badmouthing the club all over the press. He can now get to Paisley, and I do not at all expect us to regret the decision for on the park reasons.

Tait's tried it on. He was offered two contracts which he turned down, obviously trying to get a better one. Covid hits, and he then tries to accept the offer, he had rejected, in the hope the club would just accept that. In the light of the situation, Motherwell quite rightly, in my opinion, adjusted the offer to what they could afford, while still allowing him to go for his coaching badges.  Tait took the huff at that, and left for St Mirren's offer.  If he can't see the bigger picture, then more the fool him.