Tait

joewarkfanclub

8 hours ago, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

The player is the one that has went public.

I would prefer club speaking out rather than saying nothing at all so others can see there side of the story. 

Agree 100%. For too long now, decades in fact, we've had players (or their agents) making controversial statements in the press and the fans jumping up and down slagging off the club as a result. The club is quite entitled to reply to defend itself and in this case it has struck the right note.  As far as the BBC is concerned, it could have waited a tad longer to publish a balanced report.  The story wasn't that urgent. Sometimes journalists can ring you up, pose a complex question/query and demand a reply there and then. If you say that you'll ring them back they'll just go ahead and publish, saying that the organisation wouldn't comment. 

When similar situations arise in future I'd expect and hope that the club will defend itself and reply, in a reasonable tone.

Ffs the guy was interviewed on radio and aired a perfectly balanced thought,  there’s not much to it , he was happy to stay on the terms offered but by time he accepted, the club’s position had changed , he felt wronged and choose to move on,  that’s perfectly ok,

the club changing the offer is also  fully understandable,  imho, as soon as it was known the original offer should have been withdrawn, but I can understand during a pandemic that there were  fast moving and changing scenarios that prevented the formal cancellation of the original offer 

There doesn’t have to be good guy bad guy in every event,  

if anything the players explained he wanted to stay but felt he couldn’t on his principles  and the club have explained why , the emotions should have been left at that

• Like 1

He didn't offer a balanced view though. He accused the club of being underhanded and disrespectful whilst leaving out some pretty relevant details of how the negotiations were concluded. 

He took a gamble and this time he's lost.  That does not mean we have anything to apologise for. 

No great loss anyway, his legs were well and truly gone. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brazilian said:

Ffs the guy was interviewed on radio and aired a perfectly balanced thought,  there’s not much to it , he was happy to stay on the terms offered but by time he accepted, the club’s position had changed , he felt wronged and choose to move on,  that’s perfectly ok,

the club changing the offer is also  fully understandable,  imho, as soon as it was known the original offer should have been withdrawn, but I can understand during a pandemic that there were  fast moving and changing scenarios that prevented the formal cancellation of the original offer 

if anything the players explained he wanted to stay but felt he couldn’t on his principles  and the club have explained why , the emotions should have been left at that

Not sure he did offer a balanced view though, he turned down the offer then changed his mind when he realised Covid was going to make life difficult for many players. By that time the club was in a different position and offered lower terms. 

• Like 1

My opinion is if Tait had signed contract when it was offered it would have been honoured but he rejected it which is his choice . He then signed previous contract offer when Covid 19 hit but Motherwell at this time could not honour old terms so offered less ,again it’s up to them as both parties need to sign contract for it to be binding .Tait then refuses new terms and leaves again it’s his choice . Nobody is in the wrong imo here ,Tait refused original terms then changed mind and accepted them  but by then Motherwell,s financial situation had changed so they offered different terms . The problem is Tait then moans to press about it which means Motherwell have to reply as 2 sides to every story as sure everything Tait said was true ,but he conveniently missed out part he refused contract initially and only signed once season suspended .  Time to move on now he’s no longer a Well player but would have been better fir all concerned imo if he had said nothing  at all as does seem to be having a go at club over not honouring a contract he had actually turned down . In any occupation if you get sent a  new job contract and decline it you can’t expect to be able to change your mind weeks later due to a change in circumstances and expect it to be honoured  unless both parties are still happy to proceed on same basis . 

• Like 1

I'm usually in the "club shouldn't comment" camp. Once Tait went public, however, I can understand why they did. Even then you get stories in papers like The Herald today where they print Tait's side of the story, but not the club's response.

Personally, I think his agent probably gave him bad advice and blamed it on us.

If looking at attributing blame, I’d wager Tait’s agent will be most culpable. Like all things, something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

In this instance, Tait’s agent valued his worth higher than the club did on two occasions.

In Tait and his agent’s defence, they probably would have expected to reach a negotiated middle ground but of course, everything changed.

To genuinely advise Tait to send off a signed copy of the pre COVID contract and expect that it would be honoured is naive. I’d wager he/she knew they were chancing their arm and I’m amazed our Dicky feels sufficiently aggrieved that he’d bump his gums on air.

2 hours ago, Brazilian said:

This.

Guaranteed if the same happened to anyone on this forum at their place of work they would be pissed off about it and probably go on Twitter or Facebook to mouth off.  From Tait's point of view the club have done him over. 

The club however has to take account of the new economic situation and since the contract hadn't been finalised I don't think they did anything 'wrong' but it was definitely an unfortunate situation.

The club statement is, I maintain, badly worded and unprofessional looking.  A multi million pound business putting out a retort in the form of an emotive press release detailing an employees contract negotiations is embarrassing.  It's totally unnecessary. 

If anything the club comes off as bitter that Tait didn't sign the reduced contract.

I wonder if the original contract offer had been made with a deadline attached?

In saying that it might well have had one and Tait returned it signed before the deadline and that’s why he feels aggrieved.

If it was open ended and up for ongoing talks (which it sounds like going by the club statement)then he was chancing his arm 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

Guaranteed if the same happened to anyone on this forum at their place of work they would be pissed off about it and probably go on Twitter or Facebook to mouth off.  From Tait's point of view the club have done him over.

Going public is petty and unprofessional.  These days, the first thing an prospective employer does is google a candidate. If they find you bad mouthing even an ex-employer on Twitter there's a good chance your CV is getting filed in the bin.

What happened here is no different to the other thousands of contract negotiations that happen every day. Many of them break down for many reasons and both parties just move on. The guy is lucky he's working in an industry that is back up and running. Lots of people who had been contributing to his wages are out of work and looking at long term unemployment; especially other self-employed contractors not covered by the furlough payments.

I don't know if it was him or his agent that thought going public was a good idea, but given the current environment it was pretty tone deaf.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

Tait's tried it on. He was offered two contracts which he turned down, obviously trying to get a better one. Covid hits, and he then tries to accept the offer, he had rejected, in the hope the club would just accept that. In the light of the situation, Motherwell quite rightly, in my opinion, adjusted the offer to what they could afford, while still allowing him to go for his coaching badges.  Tait took the huff at that, and left for St Mirren's offer.  If he can't see the bigger picture, then more the fool him.

Yeah from what I can see Tait is using 20/20 hindsight then trying to infer the club were wrong. He decided once he saw what Covid was doing to accept an offer he had refused and then objects that the club did exactly as he'd done - assessed the impacts of Covid - but at least in the clubs reassessment they said it would be revisited once fans are allowed back in. I think Taits comments do appear disappointing. As I've said before the devil is always in the detail.

35 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

The fact that the club came out right away to clear comments made up says to me that if anything the agent is more than likely to blame.

Why? It looks to me like the club were just clarifying their side of the story after Tait went public with his? Let's not make excuses for him, he's a big boy. No one is fooling him into making statements that he doesn't believe.

This lies squarely with the player, not the agent. Blaming the agent is an easy cop-out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David said:

Why? It looks to me like the club were just clarifying their side of the story after Tait went public with his? Let's not make excuses for him, he's a big boy. No one is fooling him into making statements that he doesn't believe.

This lies squarely with the player, not the agent. Blaming the agent is an easy cop-out.

Completely agree. Tait has told the club he's not signing the contract, then he realises the season is ending and he has come running back saying "I've signed it, I've signed it!!"

Fuck him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

If I were to reject a contract at my work then return the said rejected contract months after the event then I would be rightly ridiculed and told to fuck off.

There's no industry I can think of that would accept such mincing about from staff during contract negotiations.  He's gambled on a new deal and lost.  It's on him and agent and no one else.

It's not as if Covid 19 came out of nowhere either so I'm not buying that.  Has he failed to watch the news , read the papers or online since November 2019?  We had contract renewals at our workplace on April 1 due to IR35 and every single person was shiting themselves that they weren't going to be in a job due to Covid 19 so I can't believe a footballer would allow such a situation to develop especially when they have offers on the table.

• Like 1

Plenty words of wisdom being spouted on here as usual...but for me, Tait has made a total arse of his contract situation and hes made an arse of himself by trying to make the club look bad.

Going by the two statements, it's pretty easy to see that Tait, is the 'bad guy' and that disappoints me, as I liked him a lot

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burn_Broomfield said:

If I were to reject a contract at my work then return the said rejected contract months after the event then I would be rightly ridiculed and told to fuck off.

There's no industry I can think of that would accept such mincing about from staff during contract negotiations.  He's gambled on a new deal and lost.  It's on him and agent and no one else.

It's not as if Covid 19 came out of nowhere either so I'm not buying that.  Has he failed to watch the news , read the papers or online since November 2019?  We had contract renewals at our workplace on April 1 due to IR35 and every single person was shiting themselves that they weren't going to be in a job due to Covid 19 so I can't believe a footballer would allow such a situation to develop especially when they have offers on the table.

I would contend he was watching the news and papers very closely saw he could be out on a limb and scrambled to get a deal hed already refused. He could have had that deal right up to Covid struck and he chose not to take it. He gambled and it backfired. Really liked Richard but really disappointed how he tried to make the club look underhand when in reality it was him trying to manipulate the situation and Motherwell rightly stood their ground. He was very careful  in his press statement to omit that the contract he'd submitted was one he'd already refused. Even worse was to suggest he left on a point of principle. There was fuck all principled about his actions. He tried to take advantage of the club when he saw Covid could leave him on his arse and the club knew their business.  Hes history now we move on.

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I said it earlier, but I suspect he was on the wrong end of some bad advice from his agent who no doubt told him to play hard ball and he'd get more money. 

And it didn't work. 

That's all very well and good, and that doesn't make him the bad guy....spouting off in the media and trying to spin it in the direction of the club is what makes him look bad

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

That's all very well and good, and that doesn't make him the bad guy....spouting off in the media and trying to spin it in the direction of the club is what makes him look bad

I know. That's why I said earlier in this very thread that spouting off in the media made him sound, to quote my exact words, petty and unprofessional.

Glad you agree with me.