Tait

joewarkfanclub

25 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I said it earlier, but I suspect he was on the wrong end of some bad advice from his agent who no doubt told him to play hard ball and he'd get more money. 

Trust me, agents "tell" players fuck all.

There's this weird perception among fans that a player is controlled by his agent as if it's his wife, which isn't the case. Most agents, with the exception of a few "super" agents, tread very carefully because they know fine well they can be sacked and replaced in a jiffy.

Most agents at the lower end of the game spend just as much of their time trying to stop other agents poaching their players as they do actually helping their players.

Anything a player does, is because they wanted to do it. I'd actually wager that Tait's agent would have been more likely to tell him to sign the initial deal in a timely manner than try to play hard ball. Such tactics may work for Paul Pogba, but they don't work for a Richard Tait who's already in a position where he's not first choice at Motherwell.

That interview where he said what he said reeked of a player who had went into business for himself. I'd guess whoever his agent was probably had his head in his hands at that point.

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

You must know different players and agents.

I know the industry well enough to know that agents aren't commanding their players to do anything. 

As I said, this narrative that agents somehow force players into making decisions they wouldn't otherwise want to make is incredibly naive. It's worth remembering that the agents work for the players, not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, it makes it easier for fans to digest if they think the player they like is only leaving their club, or shaking their club down for more money because of an evil agent who's counting the hundreds in his wallet while laughing maniacally, and who is exploiting the poor, innocent player to make money off him.

Not the case in reality though. The football agent business is incredibly competitive. Any agent, outside of the very top two or three, simply cannot afford to piss a player off. If they do, they're out a job and a new agent is in his place within hours.

In fact, sometimes a new agent is in place before the previous one even knows he's been sacked.

He obviosly knew SR didnt rate him as fist team material any more. So a move will see him play evey week now and in the championship next year, which will suit his pace , as he will be even slower by next season.

Still he did always gave 100% for us when he played.  

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The club statement is, I maintain, badly worded and unprofessional looking.  A multi million pound business putting out a retort in the form of an emotive press release detailing an employees contract negotiations is embarrassing.  It's totally unnecessary. 

I think it was necessary.

Part of attracting players is the clubs reputation on how you'll be treated if you sign. From the outside we look like decent employers who will look after you if you've got a long injury, give older players career routes into badges / coaching etc. This all factors into which club players choose to sign for and if he's damaging that reputation by being conservative with the truth then it should be put right.

Also, he's the one that chose to put his own contract negotiations into the public domain so I think the club were free to respond.  Aye, it's not our usual style, but I wouldn't say it's particularly emotive or unprofessional. Out of the 20-odd paragraphs there's one line "we are disheartened".... the rest is more or less a statement of fact. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, David said:

Why? It looks to me like the club were just clarifying their side of the story after Tait went public with his? Let's not make excuses for him, he's a big boy. No one is fooling him into making statements that he doesn't believe.

This lies squarely with the player, not the agent. Blaming the agent is an easy cop-out.

100% agree with you. Im at a loss to why an experienced pro like Tait would have done this.

Bizarre to say the least especially when it appears we had indicated that there could be a longer term future in the position  of coaching with us.

Strange situation.

If Tait had a genuine case against the club, he wouldn't be speaking to the media about it, he would be speaking to a lawyer.

The simple fact is that, because of the Covid 19 situation, the circumstances regarding what the club felt they could offer him changed. If he chooses to see that as being duplicitous on the part of the club or take it as a personal slight, then that is his business. If he goes public with it, then the club have every right to defend their actions. He was a decent servant to the club during his time with us. A good player who always seemed to give his all. He doesn't play for us anymore, which is the way it always goes.

• Like 1