Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

I put 2021 in the title which is probably being a tad optimistic. 

The draw take place on August 10th and we enter in 1st qualifying round due to take place on Thursday August 27th. 

I looked at Kassies website and there are 94 teams due to play in the 1st qualifying round.  With around 30-40% still tbc but with a coefficient of 5.75 we will probably be in the top half of seeded teams. Likely opponents could be Derry City or Bala Town from Wales. Old opponents such as Breidablik of Iceland are in there also.

Depending on the draw I expect we would be odds on to get through 1st round, slight favourites for 2nd round and non seeded for 3rd round. 

It hopefully will count in our favour that we are playing at the end of August with a few league games behind us rather than late July with only a few friendlies. 

I desperately hope given progress with Covid19 that we may yet get to attend games home or away depending on location. A BIG if but we are still 2 months away so fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I put 2021 in the title which is probably being a tad optimistic. 

The draw take place on August 10th and we enter in 1st qualifying round due to take place on Thursday August 27th. 

I looked at Kassies website and there are 94 teams due to play in the 1st qualifying round.  With around 30-40% still tbc but with a coefficient of 5.75 we will probably be in the top half of seeded teams. Likely opponents could be Derry City or Bala Town from Wales. Old opponents such as Breidablik of Iceland are in there also.

Depending on the draw I expect we would be odds on to get through 1st round, slight favourites for 2nd round and non seeded for 3rd round. 

It hopefully will count in our favour that we are playing at the end of August with a few league games behind us rather than late July with only a few friendlies. 

I desperately hope given progress with Covid19 that we may yet get to attend games home or away depending on location. A BIG if but we are still 2 months away so fingers crossed. 

I also like your positive phrasing, using the word campaign, which sounds much better than game :wacko:

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Countries such as serbia, hungary now have fans back in the ground. France im sure I read were allowing fans back in as of july (up to 5k). Typically I am supposed to go to prague for a stag do on the 27th, so ideally we navigate that round with some ease.

Teams from Serbia, Hungary and France probably won't be starting at Q1 with us, I expect their coefficients to be better, can see us going to Wales or the Faroe islands again

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Teams from Serbia, Hungary and France probably won't be starting at Q1 with us, I expect their coefficients to be better, can see us going to Wales or the Faroe islands again

2 teams from Serbia and 3 from Hungary start in Round 1 with us. Not all decided which teams so dont know the coefficient for seeding but it's a possibility.

Ideally it's a welsh/irish team first and we get a win moving on to something more exciting.

6th team in England enters in quailifying round 2 which could be Man Utd. A nice glamour tie.

Did they not introduce a sort of regionalisation a few years ago to the early rounds, to reduce the distance teams had to travel in the early stages before prize money made it worthwhile? Seem to remember something like this talked about a few years ago, if so Wales/Northern Ireland would be quite likely I’d say. 

27 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

The speed at which the lockdown relaxation is moving, socially distant crowds may well be permitted come August. We may have indicative dates from the Govt. come 9 Jul. 

I had the same thought myself but while it's relatively easy for us to half our capacity, it will be an issue for other clubs. Imagine Celtic or Rangers telling half their season ticket holders that they've got a seat for St Mirren at home but the guy next to them has the Old Firm game. If schools are back full time, I can see it being a case of full capacity in stadiums but you'll be asked to wear a mask...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

The speed at which the lockdown relaxation is moving, socially distant crowds may well be permitted come August. . 

Socially distant crowds, thats normal service resumed for league 1, 2 and most of the Championship then, oh and Accies as well.:nod:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I believe what I am reading on the BBC website

UEFA stating that for sporting fairness all qualifying ties this year will be played behind closed doors. 

WTF - so if we in the UK can allow fans back in stadiums UEFA can decide otherwise ? 

Of course that will all change once the group stages start and big teams come into play. 

Bunch of fucking tossers if true. 

Wait a minute....

The Euro play offs are either home or away games and everyone knows that before ties are even drawn. Luck of the draw. 

If UEFA knew fuck all about sporting integrity they would have scrapped the group stageS and had home and away knockout ties right up to the final. But that would mean no lucrative TV revenue for larger clubs. 

14 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Wait a minute....

The Euro play offs are either home or away games and everyone knows that before ties are even drawn. Luck of the draw. 

If UEFA knew fuck all about sporting integrity they would have scrapped the group stageS and had home and away knockout ties right up to the final. But that would mean no lucrative TV revenue for larger clubs. 

I don't know what you mean by "play-offs" but the Preliminary round, which is the first round of the Europa League, is normally 2 legs.

You can argue about group stages being wrong (and I have many times), and I even suggested scrapping them for this season's tourneys. That shipped has sailed, though, and the only benefit is that it generates a bit more revenue for the share we will be getting.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Not sure I believe what I am reading on the BBC website

UEFA stating that for sporting fairness all qualifying ties this year will be played behind closed doors. 

WTF - so if we in the UK can allow fans back in stadiums UEFA can decide otherwise ? 

Of course that will all change once the group stages start and big teams come into play. 

Bunch of fucking tossers if true. 

Look on the bright side. If we were to get through to the third qualifying round and were drawn away to some Eastern European or Turkish side, absence of a hostile crowd might not do us any harm...

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I don't know what you mean by "play-offs" but the Preliminary round, which is the first round of the Europa League, is normally 2 legs.

You can argue about group stages being wrong (and I have many times), and I even suggested scrapping them for this season's tourneys. That shipped has sailed, though, and the only benefit is that it generates a bit more revenue for the share we will be getting.

The Euro play offs are one legged affairs. So we play Israel at home and then Norway or Serbia away. That is what I mean. That was dreamed up by UEFA and we all accept it.  

Uefa dreamed up one legged qualifying ties for Europa qualifying and again if we got 2 or 3 away draws then bad luck but we accept it. Under normal circumstances Well fans could still travel to these away games. Suddenly deciding that means no crowds for sporting integrity is such a crock of shit. If they said because of Covid then fine but don’t give me sporting integrity from UEFA of all institutions !

• Like 2