Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

14 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The Euro play offs are one legged affairs. So we play Israel at home and then Norway or Serbia away. That is what I mean. That was dreamed up by UEFA and we all accept it.  

Uefa dreamed up one legged qualifying ties for Europa qualifying and again if we got 2 or 3 away draws then bad luck but we accept it. Under normal circumstances Well fans could still travel to these away games. Suddenly deciding that means no crowds for sporting integrity is such a crock of shit. If they said because of Covid then fine but don’t give me sporting integrity from UEFA of all institutions !

Ah sorry. I see what you mean now.

For me the European competitions died when they went to groups. I used to love the 2-leg knockout format. But as with all things in modern football, big clubs' profit comes first. And don't get me started on teams that are "demoted" to the later stages of the Europa League when they finish 3rd in their Champions League group.

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Ah sorry. I see what you mean now.

For me the European competitions died when they went to groups. I used to love the 2-leg knockout format. But as with all things in modern football, big clubs' profit comes first. And don't get me started on teams that are "demoted" to the later stages of the Europa League when they finish 3rd in their Champions League group.

I was in a poor mood last night you could probably tell...

Agree with all of the above.  Especially demotion of teams from Champions League. 

As hard as they might try to defend themselves almost every decision UEFA make is to favour the larger, more popular and better supported sides in Europe. It is almost exclusively geared so there are very few small teams able to venture far in their respective competitions. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I read somewhere that if we are drawn against a team from a country that hasn't an air bridge agreement with us then we have to find a neutral venue to play the game or we are given a 3-0 defeat and are knocked out of competition. 

? Anyone confirm. 

1 hour ago, real dosser said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if we are drawn against a team from a country that hasn't an air bridge agreement with us then we have to find a neutral venue to play the game or we are given a 3-0 defeat and are knocked out of competition. 

? Anyone confirm. 

There's a bit about it in The Record.

Apparently Poland, Greece, Hungary and Cyprus have offered stadiums with travel corridors to allow games to be played in neutral venues if necessary.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

There's a bit about it in The Record.

Apparently Poland, Greece, Hungary and Cyprus have offered stadiums with travel corridors to allow games to be played in neutral venues if necessary.

I do appreciate that they're not even pretending at the Record anymore. Headline could simply have said 'Scottish Clubs'.  Nope, it's Celtic and Rangers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone know what time the draw is tomorrow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53706842

As for Aberdeen and Motherwell, they will learn their fate on Monday.

Like Celtic, last season's third and fourth placed clubs are seeded, therefore meaning they will both avoid the likes of Maribor, Rosenborg and Maccabi Haifa in the first round, while facing the prospect of being drawn against Welsh side Bala Town or Derry City and Bohemians of Ireland.

The second round is where it could get tasty, though. Aberdeen would be seeded if they got through but Motherwell would not, meaning they could be drawn against the likes of AC Milan, Tottenham Hotspur and Galatasaray amongst other standout European names.

If we get through the 1st Round which with the way we are playing is not a given, then you can just see us drawing Tottenham or AC Milan since we cannot attend matches. If it was business as usual we would draw a side form Russia or Kazakhstan. Just our luck. 

Imagine what Tottenham would do to the side that has played the opening two games. Thank Christ it would be a one legged affair. Probably still be double figures. Hopefully they would play a B team. 

Should be excited about Europe. But with the inability to attend or travel to games, our form and the form of our streaming company.  Sure I will be up for it once the games come around but a bit meh at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

If we get through the 1st Round which with the way we are playing is not a given, then you can just see us drawing Tottenham or AC Milan since we cannot attend matches. If it was business as usual we would draw a side form Russia or Kazakhstan. Just our luck. 

Imagine what Tottenham would do to the side that has played the opening two games. Thank Christ it would be a one legged affair. Probably still be double figures. Hopefully they would play a B team. 

Should be excited about Europe. But with the inability to attend or travel to games, our form and the form of our streaming company.  Sure I will be up for it once the games come around but a bit meh at the moment. 

Hopefully we get a decent run, but it might only be 1 or 2 games and then we get pumped by some of the big names. But the main thing is we are in the tournament and for 10 of the 12 clubs who start each season in the premiership,  A cup win or European qualifying is the dream.

Over the years we have a decent record for euro qualifying which for a club of our size is a great achievement so its good to be able to look forward to another Euro campaign this year, as I said it might not last too long, but we can live the dream and aim for the group stages. :nod:

49 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Thanks , probably complicated how they work that out but they do have more of a European pedigree than us.

Settle yourself in your favourite chair and enjoy....

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/

.... and if you're anything like me by the time you've digested it all our European campaign may well have come and gone!

Not sure how they've worked this out:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MotherwellFC/status/1292534559649693696

Motherwell FC
@MotherwellFC
Our potential opponents in the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round draw.

Breidablik
NSI Runavik or Barry Town United
Glentoran or HB Torshavn

The draw will be made on Monday at 12pm. Ties are one leg.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Don’t fancy the Scandinavians.

We have been shocked by welsh and Icelandic teams before but let's be honest we have better players than all of those sides and if we turn up with the right attitude we will be too strong  for all of them.  So now I have jinxed it feel free to copy and remind me of this post if we are out of Europe by 28/8