Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Am I right in thinking that Glentoran, in common with other Irish teams, will not resume league fixtures until some time in October? Consequently, they  may be a bit ring rusty. 

They had a couple of Cup games in July so not completely cold but rusty, Torshavn will get the benefit of that.

I grew up in Ballymena so I watched their cup final game the other week. Given both sides had barely kicked a ball in months the quality was understandably pretty poor, but even if they were mid season, there is absolutely no chance we'll lose to Glentoran.

14 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Am I right in thinking that Glentoran, in common with other Irish teams, will not resume league fixtures until some time in October? Consequently, they  may be a bit ring rusty. 

The NIFL Premiership kicks off again on October 17th, so they've a while yet before regular games if they go out to Torshavn or us. Cliftonville have been playing friendlies against Championship and amateur sides over here, Linfield are in full flow in their Champions League qualifiers and Coleraine will be starting their Euro warm ups soon as well, so the Glens may get some friendlies lined up for fitness.

11 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

pasted below from UEFA site for 2020-21
Qualifying

20/08/2020 Preliminary round
27/08/2020 First qualifying round
17/09/2020 Second qualifying round
24/09/2020 Third qualifying round
01/10/2020 Play-offs

You're right. I'd been looking at the stage where other teams came into the competition and it went from 3rd Qualifying to Groups and I'd wrongly assumed that was the Play Off. 

The Play Off stage of course still has to be populated by the Champions League drop downs hence there's no teams showing. 

9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I grew up in Ballymena so I watched their cup final game the other week. Given both sides had barely kicked a ball in months the quality was understandably pretty poor, but even if they were mid season, there is absolutely no chance we'll lose to Glentoran.

Ooft! Thats a bold claim! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I fuckin hate the OF as much as everyone else but through gritted teeth I don't mind seeing them making the CL group stages if it helps improve the coefficient.

I had an epiphany about a season or two that brought me to the same outlook.

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

I presume as its a home game, it will be on MFC tv. Not sure if it will be covered on the season ticket, but it will surely be available on ppv.

My understanding of it was that Sky own the exclusive rights to the domestic football, and that under the current circumstances were allowing clubs to stream until we could get fans back in. Not sure if that it would be the same agreement for European football, especially since those rights are owned exclusively by BT. Wondering if the BBC are showing the N.Irish sides playing because it is such an early round.

I would expect our game to be on TV, be it Premier Sports or BT. As of next week, only the Scottish and French leagues will be playing in Western Europe. A big gap in the sports channels schedules.  

Regards the club stream, pretty sure the club said when advertising season tickets that it would guarantee access to the first European tie. Maybe I'm misremembering that though...

On 8/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, Haggischomper said:

Fuck coefficients and fuck seedings. Get the names in a hat and draw them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not in this life Uefa don't run football at the European level anymore, the TV companies do, they dictate the format. And the elite clubs who benefit most from TV are in full agreement and nobody give a damm about the smaller clubs.

Not sure how European games factor into the mix for MFC TV.  It's not listed as one of the upcoming fixtures yet (although that might be due to not knowing opponents). Given the issues there are with domestic cup games, however, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's available for streaming.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Not sure how European games factor into the mix for MFC TV.  It's not listed as one of the upcoming fixtures yet (although that might be due to not knowing opponents). Given the issues there are with domestic cup games, however, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's available for streaming.

Season ticket holder get free access to first game...touch wood we proceed then if home you need to pay to view it

To allow it to be streamed, you’ve got to have proper filming and editing in place. Unsure if that will be the case unless one of the TV channels pick it up and share their footage with us. 

The coverage for the league games so far is filmed by an SPFL supplier and we get access to that Stream Digital package that into MFCTV

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Season ticket holder get free access to first game...touch wood we proceed then if home you need to pay to view it

That was the case if we were going to be attending, might not be the case for streaming

9 hours ago, ropy said:

That was the case if we were going to be attending, might not be the case for streaming

Will be interesting to see what the club do. 

As it is a UEFA competition then I am quite sure there will be stringent rules around broadcasting. If Glentoran win though there may be enough interest from a Premier Sports but I doubt BT would be interested. 

BBC Iplayer I believe is playing the game tonight so may be similar next week. 

However part of season ticket offering was free entry to 1st Europa game. So if it club streamed the game we would get for free but if not then does that carry over to next round and we may draw Spurs.  In which case BT would probably show the game. 

Q remains will we get a European game as part of season ticket money. I am not overly bothered myself but there must come a time where it becomes a real issue for the club and more so fans. Season ticket works out on ave £18 per game v £12 for streaming ! The more games we miss the more the club will have to consider refund. And probably hope again that most season ticket holders do not request any refund. 

Interesting and frustrating times !