Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

21 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Obviously the Turnbull story has distracted somewhat from the buildup to tonight's game. I suspect even more so because of the lack of fans at the game. Might have helped in a bit lessening the amount of negativity that has been (rightly) present regarding Saturday's performance. But it's a Motherwell European game and I can't believe the lack of speculation regarding the team lineup or how the game will go. Obviously recent form has dampened enthusiasm for all things Motherwell..

For me, I'd be looking at ways to get two strikers playing up front together. But for defensive injuries, I'd be inclined to go 352. Could even do that playing Maguire in the back three or playing Lamie in the back three with Grimshaw and O'Donnell at wing back, but these are far from ideal. However we set up, it shouldn't be the same 433 with two wingers. Our wingers are offering little and general consensus is that none of our strikers play well as a lone striker. Would almost be tempted with a McGhee style squinty 442 with 3 centre midfielders and one winger although who that winger would be is anyone's guess....

If we play three centre backs against Glentoran at home that would be a...ahem...talking point if we don't actually get through this tie.  For me 3 at the back is a no no. 

4-3-3?  I agree that our wingers are gash but tonight might be one of the times this season where they are playing at a level that they can actually do something.

4-4-2?  Means we will probably out numbered in midfield.  Personally I think loading the midfield isn't as effective as some people tend to think, I think good midfields beat bad midfields regardless of numbers most of the time and although I am taking nothing for granted and it's not a stretch of the imagination to see us blowing this I do think we still believe we have better players? Right?  

4-1-4-1 might work but once you get into 4-2-3-1s or 4-3-2-1s I don't think we have attacking midfielders that can play through the middle especially with Turnbull away and like 3 at the back I think its too negative playing two holding midfielders against tonight's opponents.

Thinking there may be a pitch inspection at Fir Park. The amount of rain that's hit the stadium in last few hours has been ridiculous. I am hearing the water is now starting to enter the tunnel (again..!!) and the pitch just can't drain the water away fast enough despite the fantastic work of the poor sods who are volunteering to be extra groundsmen tonight.

20 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Thinking there may be a pitch inspection at Fir Park. The amount of rain that's hit the stadium in last few hours has been ridiculous. I am hearing the water is now starting to enter the tunnel (again..!!) and the pitch just can't drain the water away fast enough despite the fantastic work of the poor sods who are volunteering to be extra groundsmen tonight.

I live minutes from Fir Park and the street was literally under a couple of inches of water during that really heavy rain.

It does drain off quite quickly once it stops raining so hopefully that will be the case at Fir Park.

If it stays off I think we'll be alright.  The sky seems a bit lighter than it has been most of the day.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If we play three centre backs against Glentoran at home that would be a...ahem...talking point if we don't actually get through this tie.  For me 3 at the back is a no no. 

I really do think people need to shake the idea that three at the back is necessarily a defensive formation. Only problem we have with playing is the same one we had the last time we played it. No one suitable to play left wing back. If we had Carroll or McGinlay available, 352 would be our best option. Sad to say we'll probably play 433 even though we don't have anyone suitable to play on the wings...

18 hours ago, weeyin said:

I agree and think (and hope) that we win.

According to google translate, "It will not surprise me if we lose" in Latin is "Non miror, si amittimus"

I think we should make that our new club motto, though, as I don't think I've ever been surprised when any team beat us.

Albion Rovers the other year still give me the shivvers

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I see Dinamo Minsk are out beaten 2-0 were they not one of the teams we needed to go out to get us seeded for Q3 if we win, who were the other teams?

Yes they were, we need 2 more seeds to be beaten if I have worked it out correctly

The New Saints and Aberdeen look favourite :p

That could go so many different ways, at first glance I thought it was 4-3-1-2 with grimshaw in midfield and polworth as the 1, but who knows. 

Hopefully the 2 up front is correct and we're not doing some weirdness with long and lang on the wings. 

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

For me, I'd be looking at ways to get two strikers playing up front together. But for defensive injuries, I'd be inclined to go 352. Could even do that playing Maguire in the back three or playing Lamie in the back three with Grimshaw and O'Donnell at wing back, 

I'd like to make it clear that I'm not Stephen Robinson...