Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

Dont think we should get too carried away with the result. It was a decent performance, but until they had the man sent off it was still touch and go and we were only one defensive lapse away from a defeat. Credit where it is due though, we totally took advantage of the situation and the manager made a positive substitution that allowed us to press home our advantage. Still a little disturbed at him putting SOD at LB to start with. We need to stop this square pegs in round holes nonsense. The boy is a quality RB just play him (and everyone else) in their natural positions so that that they can flourish and produce their best football. The 2 up top was the right call, but Hastie, Hylton, Land or Seedorf could have played on the left without upsetting the balance. Personally I would have played Hastie as he is probably best of the bunch at tracking back in that formation. Great strike by SOD for his first goal btw!

• Like 2

Pretty even game first half, Glentorran had better chances although i thought Motherwell had better play.  Grimshaw is a nightmare at RWB.  Maybe ok, just, defensively but just about every time he had the opportunity to drive to the bye line he instead cuts inside and plays ball back to midfield or defence.   Felt we were ponderous at times, but on the positive side Long looked much better with someone alongside him and some decent service via Polworths  through balls. 

I know the draw is on Monday, when is the next round due to be played..?

EDIT Ignore me. 17th September is the date. Interesting to see that next round is drawn on Monday and the following round drawn on Tuesday so we should know who would await should we somehow manage to get through. .

A very good result and we progress to the next round as a seeded team so thats the important thing. The game itself was a mixture of positives and negatives though. I didn't think the line up and formation was right and the two wing backs looked uncomfortable especially Grimshaw. A good decision to hook him. We looked vulnerable down the wings and the midfield struggled at times to compete with a competitive Glentoran engine room. They also looked good in in the air in both boxes and caused us some trouble there. We did however look better up front with 2 strikers. Good to see Long get on the scoresheet and look sprightly. It should boost the strikers' confidence.

Until Glentoran had a man red carded it was very close and they could have scored a couple of goals and a further couple just after they went down to 10 men. After that they tired and wilted and we moved up a couple of gears.

Something still not right about the team though and the scoreline shouldn't mask our weaknesses.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Dont think we should get too carried away with the result. It was a decent performance, but until they had the man sent off it was still touch and go and we were only one defensive lapse away from a defeat....

I am absolutely going to get  carried away with the result.  It's only a few days from Saturday's discussion where t was suggested nobody looks back and is interested in the performance or whether fortune has smiled or mocked you and that it's only the result that counts, only the goals that are scored, that's what goes down in the record books etc. etc..

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We can't play those 2 wing backs against Celtic. I feel bad for grimshaw, but he's having a terrible start to the season. How long until any of our left backs return?

You might expect that on Sunday he won't have a huge amount of opportunities to  burst forward and try to cross or find a team-mate in the opposition half.  I might so go so far as to say his repartee of crosses out the pitch and as high and far into the stand as he can should be a definite tactic against Celtic!

As pleased as I was with 2 up top, I'm expecting to revert to the usual 4-3-3 against Celtic. Glentoran were certainly competitive and gave us a few frights, but we had the better players which is why we got away with having the full backs out of position. Would love to see us stick with that formation once Donnelly, McGinley and Carroll are fit but think we'll go with a flat back 4 at the weekend.

I believe that either Carroll or McGinley were due back after the international break, with the other due back a few weeks later? Hopefully that is still the case.

Despite all goals being scored against 10 absolutely gubbed NI league players, you could definitely see a bit of added zip in the passes and movement with each goal we scored. It's just a shame that we're away to Celtic next and then the international break is here, as we could do with building a bit of momentum to add that urgency to some of our possession play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

As pleased as I was with 2 up top, I'm expecting to revert to the usual 4-3-3 against Celtic. Glentoran were certainly competitive and gave us a few frights, but we had the better players which is why we got away with having the full backs out of position. Would love to see us stick with that formation once Donnelly, McGinley and Carroll are fit but think we'll go with a flat back 4 at the weekend.

I believe that either Carroll or McGinley were due back after the international break, with the other due back a few weeks later? Hopefully that is still the case.

Despite all goals being scored against 10 absolutely gubbed NI league players, you could definitely see a bit of added zip in the passes and movement with each goal we scored. It's just a shame that we're away to Celtic next and then the international break is here, as we could do with building a bit of momentum to add that urgency to some of our possession play.

A 4-3-3 with Watt/Long/Lang all playing  would be great - against weaker teams that is. ( a bit like McCormack/Porter/Clarkson) 
I'd go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

A 4-3-3 with Watt/Long/Lang all playing  would be great - against weaker teams that is. ( a bit like McCormack/Porter/Clarkson) 
I'd go 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 

Anytime I think of that front 3 it brings back memories of cup tie v hearts at Tyne castle, first game after we lost uncle Phil.....porter scored 2....McCormack was immense and clarky so brave.....the time when well fans sung 'one david Clarkson still brings a lump to the throat '...COYW

On 8/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, Andy_P said:

I am absolutely going to get  carried away with the result.  It's only a few days from Saturday's discussion where t was suggested nobody looks back and is interested in the performance or whether fortune has smiled or mocked you and that it's only the result that counts, only the goals that are scored, that's what goes down in the record books etc. etc..

I usually rely on you to be the voice of reason as well Andy! :P

Feck it! Am off down the bookies to put £20 quid on us at 22/1 to beat Celtic! 

• Like 2

On 28 August 2020 at 12:22 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Dont think we should get too carried away with the result. It was a decent performance, but until they had the man sent off it was still touch and go and we were only one defensive lapse away from a defeat. Credit where it is due though, we totally took advantage of the situation and the manager made a positive substitution that allowed us to press home our advantage. Still a little disturbed at him putting SOD at LB to start with. We need to stop this square pegs in round holes nonsense. The boy is a quality RB just play him (and everyone else) in their natural positions so that that they can flourish and produce their best football. The 2 up top was the right call, but Hastie, Hylton, Land or Seedorf could have played on the left without upsetting the balance. Personally I would have played Hastie as he is probably best of the bunch at tracking back in that formation. Great strike by SOD for his first goal btw!

Totally agree with your comments plus Glentorans domestic season has not started yet in fact they are only at the start of their preseason.

However  a win and a good win which could have been a banana skin after our start to the season and on the same day as the sale of Turnball must been seen as a confidence builder so onwards and upwards, so who are we playing next Celtic  that's a nailed on three points

2 hours ago, Blue3 said:

Totally agree with your comments plus Glentorans domestic season has not started yet in fact they are only at the start of their preseason.

However  a win and a good win which could have been a banana skin after our start to the season and on the same day as the sale of Turnball must been seen as a confidence builder so onwards and upwards, so who are we playing next Celtic  that's a nailed on three points

I admire your optimism. Grim experience has taught me that wins at Celtic Park are becoming rarer as the financial gap between the haves and have nots continues to increase, but we need to believe that a win is still possible.