Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

The way the draw worked last time was that they had 13 groups of 6 teams, the seeded teams being 1 to 3 and the unseeded being 4 to 6 in each. One ball was drawn from each, so for example 1 and 6. Another ball was chosen to indicate which of the two would be at home. If this made team 1 the home team then the team allocated ball 1 would be at home to the team allocated ball 6 IN ALL 13 groups. 

By chance it worked out that all seeded teams were at home in those 13 groups. There were also additional groups that had  contained 8 teams. In those, some of the unseeded teams were drawn at home.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Not sure that is the case unless changed from last round. 

Team out the bowl first is at home. So a 50 /50 chance. 

You would have to think home tie v Torshavn is potentially the easiest with away tie v Gothenburg the toughest. 

Aye I think I've literally just imagined that :lol: 

Sorry.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Also if we draw Gothenburg away I assume that would need to be played at a neutral venue or would we have to forfeit as Sweden is on the quarantine list ?

Yeah, I think UEFA said under these circumstances neutral venues would be used, however I'm not sure the players would actually need to self-isolate upon return:

https://sportscotland.org.uk/media/5908/phase-3-resumption-of-performance-sport-step-4-final-draft-with-annex-a.pdf

Domestic performance (elite) sportspersons and their
essential support staff returning from non-exempt countries or
territories to continue their competition or training in Scotland

You’ll need to complete the Public Health passenger locator form before you travel back
to Scotland.

You’ll also need to provide written evidence from a United Kingdom or Scottish sport
national governing body of your status as an international performance (elite)
sportsperson or international ancillary sportsperson who has travelled to a non-exempt
country or territory to compete, train or otherwise participate in a performance (elite) sports
event, and that you will be continuing those activities on your return.

You will not need to self-isolate for 14 days, but you must observe the Resumption of
Performance Sport Guidance .

Current Specified Competitions and Countries and Territories exempt from the
requirement to self-isolate, can be found here

Needless to say we will want to avoid Gothenburg in this round.

If we get them a wee ray of hope. Swedish mate tells me they are in free fall and have tried to get ex players to join as a way of averting their plunge towards possible relegation.

Apparently they have discarded playing on the deck . Instead its eye bleeding `hoof ball`.

They have not won a league game in 10.

Is their form similar to anyone we might know???

25 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Needless to say we will want to avoid Gothenburg in this round.

If we get them a wee ray of hope. Swedish mate tells me they are in free fall and have tried to get ex players to join as a way of averting their plunge towards possible relegation.

Apparently they have discarded playing on the deck . Instead its eye bleeding `hoof ball`.

They have not won a league game in 10.

Is their form similar to anyone we might know???

Was doing a bit of digging myself this morning. Played 18, won 2. I think their saving grace has been 11 draws. I'm clutching at straws perhaps, but the fact that they have played a dozen games more than us and are still in such a position may suggest a deeper lying issue than what we have, with my personal view still very much that we're playing okay and will be off and running once (not if) we click up front.

Anyway, home to Torshavn would be lovely.

Another potentially difficult tie against NI opposition then. 

Oran Kearney has worked wonders in both his spells as Coleraine manager, defensively solid and not bad going forward either. 

Where Glentoran maybe had a bit more creativity about them when attacking against us, Coleraine are a more agricultural side in terms of play and their ground. The Showgrounds is often a heavy, heavy park to play on, which has been a big help to their success in recent seasons. 

Their two most dangerous players would likely be James McLaughlin from midfield and Eoin Bradley up front. McLaughlin is very decent from distance, while Bradley is a seasoned Irish League goalscorer and battering ram with a bit of a dirty streak in him.  

There's a good few of their most recent games still on iPlayer I think, including their impressive penalty win over Maribor and a shambolic penalty shootout loss to Ballymena in the Irish Cup semi. They picked up about 8 bookings in the last round, so that could be a factor in how hard tackling they are against us if they believe they can get by us.

Similar to the Glens game, I can see it being a fairly uncomfortable night for us on current form.

• Like 1

I watched extra time of the Maribor game and was actually quite impressed with them. They looked fairly solid defensively and countered well.

How we come out of this international is going to be hugely important for us. If we can figure out how to score, the St Johnstone and Coleraine games could be the kindling to our season.  

6 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Another potentially difficult tie against NI opposition then. 

Oran Kearney has worked wonders in both his spells as Coleraine manager, defensively solid and not bad going forward either. 

Where Glentoran maybe had a bit more creativity about them when attacking against us, Coleraine are a more agricultural side in terms of play and their ground. The Showgrounds is often a heavy, heavy park to play on, which has been a big help to their success in recent seasons. 

Their two most dangerous players would likely be James McLaughlin from midfield and Eoin Bradley up front. McLaughlin is very decent from distance, while Bradley is a seasoned Irish League goalscorer and battering ram with a bit of a dirty streak in him.  

There's a good few of their most recent games still on iPlayer I think, including their impressive penalty win over Maribor and a shambolic penalty shootout loss to Ballymena in the Irish Cup semi. They picked up about 8 bookings in the last round, so that could be a factor in how hard tackling they are against us if they believe they can get by us.

Similar to the Glens game, I can see it being a fairly uncomfortable night for us on current form.

I watched their earlier tie against opposition from San Marino was it? and it was a mirror image of watching Motherwell for much of this season.  Looked like they could play all night without scoring.  Albeit the did get one at the death but I take a little hope from that performance.

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

mid September is when wee Nicola said that Sports Stadia may be accessed again. Granted it doesn't mean NI have to follow suit and on top of that with cases rising I doubt it happening but there could be potential for an away day.

No chance of a crowd. Not in Scotland. She doesnt trust or like football fans.