Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

4 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

How does the seeding work for the third round? On basis of favourite for each second round tie?

The draw for the third round assumes all the second round seeds progress and on that basis we will be unseeded tomorrow as too many higher ranked teams will be in the draw.   To continue our run in the Anglo Irish cup all that is required is for us to draw Shamrock Rovers on the basis they beat AC Milan first up.

Seriously though, I assume the groupings for the draw will be revealed later today.  And there is a good chance some of the projected seeds will fall in the second round providing some lucky teams a better chance of further success. But I doubt Shamrock Rovers will be one of them.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Seriously though, I assume the groupings for the draw will be revealed later today.  And there is a good chance some of the projected seeds will fall in the second round providing some lucky teams a better chance of further success. But I doubt Shamrock Rovers will be one of them.

So on that basis we could face an unseeded team in the 3rd round too? Superb!

No they don’t as we will be unseeded in draw tomorrow but if you get say Milan or Shamrock as previously mentioned and shamrock win u get an unseeded team round 3 ,if we win if course . We are guaranteed a seeded team in draw tomorrow  but they still  need  to win. if they lose get unseeded team  

44 minutes ago, wellowell said:

No they don’t as we will be unseeded in draw tomorrow but if you get say Milan or Shamrock as previously mentioned and shamrock win u get an unseeded team round 3 ,if we win if course . We are guaranteed a seeded team in draw tomorrow  but they still  need  to win. if they lose get unseeded team  

Yip, you are correct, I forgot the next round was being drawn tomorrow. I'm just putting it down to an auld age brain fart.

Just on fans attending games in general, Don’t think it’s clicked with the government yet, that the risk in an outside setting is low....they keep saying they are following the science but.....
When you go to the game do you ever touch the seats, go to the toilet, touch the turnstile etc? All issues can be overcome but I'm sure the government's scientists will be advising there is a risk.

1 hour ago, wellowell said:

Exactly this. And many of the projected round three seeds are away from home in round two so there might well be a few shocks. But we have to get through our tie first before it would mean anything to us. And by no means are we guaranteed to win in N Ireland. But hope is a great pick me up.

25 minutes ago, daver said:
1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:
Just on fans attending games in general, Don’t think it’s clicked with the government yet, that the risk in an outside setting is low....they keep saying they are following the science but.....

When you go to the game do you ever touch the seats, go to the toilet, touch the turnstile etc? All issues can be overcome but I'm sure the government's scientists will be advising there is a risk.

Plus, of course, everyone has to get to and from the games, and I'm sure not everyone will go straight there and back in a car. So increased numbers on public transport, in cafes and bars before and after the game, etc. Again, no significant extra risk *if* everyone behaves themselves, but that's proving to be a big "if" in most countries right now.

5 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

mid September is when wee Nicola said that Sports Stadia may be accessed again. Granted it doesn't mean NI have to follow suit and on top of that with cases rising I doubt it happening but there could be potential for an away day.

Regardless of any possible change in Scottish or rUK guidelines, I think UEFA stated from the outset that there will be no crowds at any champions league, Europa league or international games during August/September to ensure fairness across Europe. Hopefully that rule is relaxed in time for the Israel playoff...

4 hours ago, numpty said:

Plus, of course, everyone has to get to and from the games, and I'm sure not everyone will go straight there and back in a car. So increased numbers on public transport, in cafes and bars before and after the game, etc. Again, no significant extra risk *if* everyone behaves themselves, but that's proving to be a big "if" in most countries right now.

I think its a given that not everyone will behave and a minority will screw it up for the lot of us. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

This will be a tough game with our current form. The first goal will be vital as I doubt we can win from being behind.

Hopefully we have some new signings in time for it.

Robinson had already said the budget is done. However, he then managed to bring in O'Donnell so who knows if they'll find another few quid lying around to get us out this mess.

10 minutes ago, CoF said:

Robinson had already said the budget is done. However, he then managed to bring in O'Donnell so who knows if they'll find another few quid lying around to get us out this mess.

Standard patter for any club thats just come into a large sum of money to stop other clubs over inflating their prices.  

Whilst I dont expect us to be running out to spend big money, I think if we were able to wheel and deal to get the right player(s) in, a little cash could be released. Any fee would be small, and the wages still within our pay structure. Obviously limits our market, but we know this anyway.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Standard patter for any club thats just come into a large sum of money to stop other clubs over inflating their prices.  

Whilst I dont expect us to be running out to spend big money, I think if we were able to wheel and deal to get the right player(s) in, a little cash could be released. Any fee would be small, and the wages still within our pay structure. Obviously limits our market, but we know this anyway.

I hope you're right. Robinsons comments were made before the Turnbull deal was even being spoken about and just after we'd made a few signings so I took it at face value. 

1 hour ago, StirlingDosser said:

I think its a given that not everyone will behave and a minority will screw it up for the lot of us. 

That’s not really how risk assessments should be done though..Give people the info and then it’s up to them , whether they take it on board. On a general level, you can’t shut society down because of what might happen.

i can see why visiting the toilet might be an issue but other places have managed it....footbsll stadia aren’t noted for high standards of hygiene in the wc s , in my experience, so any improvement would be welcomed 

A lot of smaller clubs really depend on gate money , so it’s not just a case of adding some much needed atmosphere.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/08/30/uefa-europa-league-draws-on-monday-and-tuesday/

We’ll learn our potential UEFA Europa League third qualifying round opponents on Tuesday.

Having been paired with Coleraine in the second qualifying round, the next stage will be drawn to lay out the possible path.

The winners of the tie will face one of the following:

• FK TSC Backa Topola (Serbia) or Fotbal Club FCSB (Romania)
  • NK Osijek (Croatia) or FC Basel (Switzerland)
  • KF Laci (Albania) or Hapoel Beer-Sheva (Israel)
  • IFK Goteborg (Sweden) or FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

The draw is at 12pm. A one-legged third qualifying round match would be played on Thursday, 24 September 2020.

FCSB I think were Steaua Bucharest who we have played before. Back in the day when Paul Slane was our most promising young player. Wonder how his career would have turned out if he had stayed. 

Not any real Glamorous names and all likely to win although over a one legged tie at home maybe we can cause some problems. 

I guess we definitely want to avoid Basel and Copenhagen.

A home tie too to keep costs down would be nice. 

All assumes we beat Coleraine, despite their heroics against Maribor they were still the lowest ranked side in the draw. It won’t be easy but was better than away to Gothenburg imho. 

Coleraine is probably the best draw we could have hoped for. 

I imagine all the teams on the other side of the draw will be fancying us/Coleraine but at home we might get away with something against Bucharest/Backa Topola or Laci/Hapoel Beer-Sheva if we get a good day. They're about Aberdeen level so nothing to be  afraid of but we'll go in  as under dogs.

Get Milan in the play off round....