Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

22 minutes ago, johnstone said:

NOW WE HIT JERUSALEM!!! 

Genuinely what I expected our penalties to do.

I would never have expected a professional side's approach to a game to be AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH KICK IT!!!! Turns out I was wrong.

• Haha 1

Will be surprised if we have to go to Israel as they are in total lockdown . All the home based Israel players coming to Scotland 10 days before play off game on 8th October so they can train so would think it will be moved to another country . Also as they are not able to train and needed injury time equaliser and winner against a 10 man Albanian team do even though we are crap we still have a chance . Tonight was all about getting through and we did so that’s all that matters and we’re now 250K better off so roll on next week you never know it’s football and anything can happen

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

If players are generally of a similar level which in the SPL they are, team who plays more midfielders controls the game...

That's such an over simplification.

If you go through results of 4 man midfields v 5 man midfields you'll see that is not the case.

I looked at Aberdeen last season and they played 4-4-2 four times and W1 D2 L1 with three of those teams playing 5 man midfields and one playing four.

It's a bit late to delve any further but Kilmarnock were literally top of the league in December a couple of seasons ago playing 4-4-2 almost every week.

There is life in 4-4-2 yet.  

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

We NEED NEED NEED a clear out with Foyle, Robinson & Lasley first out the door. We cant afford to reinvest in another 3 Seedorfs, Whites & Mugabis!

Agree re Seedorf and White but I think Mugabe gets better every game, unlucky to be sent off tonight but for me he has been a very decent signing. 

8 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Will be surprised if we have to go to Israel as they are in total lockdown . All the home based Israel players coming to Scotland 10 days before play off game on 8th October so they can train so would think it will be moved to another country . Also as they are not able to train and needed injury time equaliser and winner against a 10 man Albanian team do even though we are crap we still have a chance . Tonight was all about getting through and we did so that’s all that matters and we’re now 250K better off so roll on next week you never know it’s football and anything can happen

Maccabi Haifa played at home tonight as far as I can gather 

8 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Agree re Seedorf and White but I think Mugabe gets better every game, unlucky to be sent off tonight but for me he has been a very decent signing. 

Mugabe has been decent when long balls are fired at him and he can head it away, but to be wrong side of a fat part time pub striker and pull him down is unforgiveable. He is a decent backup option in a back 3, but like Lamie, never an SPL starter in a million years

Maguire should start the next few games. There is no chance he can be any worse than the shite currently playing (and that includes our "Captain" who has been awful all season, as well as a terrible leader!)

3 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Mugabe has been decent when long balls are fired at him and he can head it away, but to be wrong side of a fat part time pub striker and pull him down is unforgiveable. He is a decent backup option in a back 3, but like Lamie, never an SPL starter in a million years

Maguire should start the next few games. There is no chance he can be any worse than the shite currently playing (and that includes our "Captain" who has been awful all season, as well as a terrible leader!)

He did not pull him down - he brushed against him and the player threw himself to the floor.  Two of the softest penalties I have seen in a game. O Hara has not been great since he came back but you could see he was totally bewildered by the 1st penalty. 

The referee was awful and the pitch was worse. That said we should have pushed on at 2-0. Instead we resorted to being shit 2nd half. 

Campbell had better no be injured or we are in bigger trouble. 

Aimlessly punting Long balls to Seedorf has to be the worst tactics on plant earth. Again he showed against part timers he has not got the skills to make it at this level. Lang is OK and capable of scoring goals. Bevis has been decent also imho. 

We got through and tomorrow get to see the glamour tie we will not be playing. We simply do not have the players to go away from home and beat a seeded side. Be a nice trip for the lads but little else on tonight’s showing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Not gutted glad we won but the performance was shite only one man to blame and his signings and tactics were shite 

Not sure you can talk about tactics on a park as bumpy as that, was a slog , but ref gave them a chance . Before anybody says it’s same for both teams , they didn’t play cultured football, they won a couple of pens. We’ve made some money but don’t see us going much further .

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Yes. Go to BBC channel and hit red button assuming you have a TV from the year 2010 onwards 

Doesn’t matter now but I watched it on the website.  From the red button I couldn’t see an option, there was a radio 2 thing on and lots of teletext type options, couldn’t find the game.

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

Doesn’t matter now but I watched it on the website.  From the red button I couldn’t see an option, there was a radio 2 thing on and lots of teletext type options, couldn’t find the game.

Wee yin pointed out early on that it was actually under Linfield v somebody so no wonder some people couldn’t find it

26 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

He did not pull him down - he brushed against him and the player threw himself to the floor.  Two of the softest penalties I have seen in a game. O Hara has not been great since he came back but you could see he was totally bewildered by the 1st penalty. 

The referee was awful and the pitch was worse. That said we should have pushed on at 2-0. Instead we resorted to being shit 2nd half. 

Campbell had better no be injured or we are in bigger trouble. 

Aimlessly punting Long balls to Seedorf has to be the worst tactics on plant earth. Again he showed against part timers he has not got the skills to make it at this level. Lang is OK and capable of scoring goals. Bevis has been decent also imho. 

We got through and tomorrow get to see the glamour tie we will not be playing. We simply do not have the players to go away from home and beat a seeded side. Be a nice trip for the lads but little else on tonight’s showing. 

Both were 100% penalties, soft I agree but pens nowadays. Fucking amateurish that we have players who regularly get caught in those situations.

The ref & pitch were poor excuses. That was a part time pub team who havent even started their season yet and our keeper has to pull off a huge save, then save 3 pens to get us through. They dominated us for 110 of the 120 minutes, yes it was agricultural football and yes they were cynical and diving all over the place, but we are so naive its scary! 

Our defending at set pieces is comical, our attacking threat at set pieces is non existant. Our defence is all over the place, midfield is an absolute shambles and attack so so poor. We have no shape or proper gameplan and some of the worst professional footballers Ive ever seen in our squad. It is a VERY poorly coached team and the squad looks to have a terrible attitude all round. Something needs to give, and soon

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Not sure you can talk about tactics on a park as bumpy as that, was a slog , but ref gave them a chance . Before anybody says it’s same for both teams , they didn’t play cultured football, they won a couple of pens. We’ve made some money but don’t see us going much further .

Probably right but you just never know with Motherwell. Doesn’t seem like the Israeli’s are a powerhouse either Though, so you just never know. 

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

Probably right but you just never know with Motherwell. Doesn’t seem like the Israeli’s are a powerhouse either Though, so you just never know. 

A remotely competent team would have a very good chance of beating that Israeli team. Unfortunately we are as far from Competent as you can be at the moment. Its bloody frustrating! Without doubt the best chance we will EVER have of progressing to a real glamour tie in Europe and we are doing all we can to completely fuck it

50 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Both were 100% penalties, soft I agree but pens nowadays. Fucking amateurish that we have players who regularly get caught in those situations.

The ref & pitch were poor excuses. That was a part time pub team who havent even started their season yet and our keeper has to pull off a huge save, then save 3 pens to get us through. They dominated us for 110 of the 120 minutes, yes it was agricultural football and yes they were cynical and diving all over the place, but we are so naive its scary! 

Our defending at set pieces is comical, our attacking threat at set pieces is non existant. Our defence is all over the place, midfield is an absolute shambles and attack so so poor. We have no shape or proper gameplan and some of the worst professional footballers Ive ever seen in our squad. It is a VERY poorly coached team and the squad looks to have a terrible attitude all round. Something needs to give, and soon

I rarely agree with ranty posts after a defeat, but this is pretty much spot on. 

I'm struggling to pin-point what the problem is. I don't think that we've got a bad squad of players. Individually they're all capable and I don't doubt the effort but there's just something completely incoherent about how we are playing in every part of the pitch.  There's something going on within the squad that isn't working. Whether it's just the wrong chemistry, or a loss of leadership. I don't know. 

It feels like we've got a squad that would make good players look shit. We lack an instinctive goalscorer but if we signed Louis Moult on loan tomorrow I honestly think we'd just bring him down to our level. The same could be applied across the pitch. 

Fuck knows.