Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

I do think we now have to invest, with careful consideration. As my earlier post my first signing would be an experienced centre half, we miss that organisation at the back that we had with the likes of Aldred, give Carson the captains armband, it’s not doing well on the arm of Gallagher. We are a bit of a mess out wide, Hylton, Seedorf , Hastie are a waste of squad places this season I’m afraid, let’s even look at a couple of loan wingers. Maybe with that we will see better balls coming in for Lang, Long, and Watt who really should be good enough, I really like Lang and think he’s very close to coming good. I also like McGinn and think he will end up a good, solid signing. I’m not convinced that Lamie or Mugabi should be in the starting 11 sadly. So overall I don’t believe the summer signings are the disaster some are making out, a mixed bag as it always is at any club.

Other than that I’m afraid Robinson needs to get his act together because he’s also responsible for some pretty poor decisions this season. We look a complete mess at times and I’m still not convinced he knows his best 11, sadly that is his job so improvement needed.

• Like 1

Never going to happen but with the money from DT in the bank which should help improve training facilities and help the club tick over this season, i’d use the money from Europe to sign  AC on an extended contract at about £3000 a week and three new proven players  ( 1 defender, 1 midfield & 1 striker) on £4-5k a week on two year  deals with the view to moving one or two of them on next summer to recoup the money. 
could help get us through to the group stages - giving a instant payback -  and should be enough to get us clear of trouble this season. 

• Haha 1

I’m sure all 4 teams are thinking this is a good draw. But if having a decent real chance of qualifying for group stages doesn’t get the players fired up then we need new players. There should be a buzz of excitement around the club that translates onto the field. We know the team can play much better. We need more performances like the Hibs game, with a bit more bite up front. WE played the ball around well At Easter road so let’s hope we can get back to that style. Last night we just completely by passed midfield for any possession or build up. Still doesn’t explain the sad second half but the players need to be positive, fired up and ready to play as a team for our games going forward. 

59 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Never going to happen but with the money from DT in the bank which should help improve training facilities and help the club tick over this season, i’d use the money from Europe to sign  AC on an extended contract at about £3000 a week and three new proven players  ( 1 defender, 1 midfield & 1 striker) on £4-5k a week on two year  deals with the view to moving one or two of them on next summer to recoup the money. 
could help get us through to the group stages - giving a instant payback -  and should be enough to get us clear of trouble this season. 

Thank god you aren't in charge of the club, mental idea.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Remember that you don't know what our players actually get paid, and also how much we are losing due to Covid.  There's no way we are bringing in 4 players. 

The money we have now should be used to keep the club on a secure footing, then for long term initiatives, such as infrastructure, so that we can keep up with other clubs when it comes to facilities and development. 

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Alan Campbell would get between £10K - £12K in the English Championship 

So I think we would be on to plumbs

There’s no pretending we played well but not we’re we outplayed by a determined but limited Coleraine. We lost our lead to two very, very soft penalties and instead of pushing harder at the start of the second half we did not impose ourselves on them. But after Mugabi was sent off our superior fitness was actually more obvious and I fully expected us to be better set to win the shootout.

There are better times not far round the corner. We have a good squad and with a bit mor organisation and leadership on the park and a bit more savvy in the tactics we adopt then with good players coming back to fitness we will kick on.

The draw has been very kind to us and we need to capitalise on this. It wouldn’t be the first time we made progress without setting the heather on fire (remember Morton in 91?).

Time to support your team and enjoy where we are in Europe

First can we appeal Mugabi’s red with UEFA like we can in the SPFL?

Had a look at the three opponents this afternoon, for me the hardest game is by a country mile in Israel. They got decent European pedigree, qualifying for the group stages twice in the last few years, finishing second and pumped out in the last 36 on one occasion. Add in the travel fatigue and temp difference it’s a big ask. Not so much if we were working but we’re far from that at present.

Viktoria are not too shabby in Europe too so I’d be hoping for a Danish win.

Can’t see us putting the Israelis to bed unless things click in the next week

6 hours ago, dennyc said:

If the Israeli Government say no way the game can be played in Israel, then it’s up to Hapoel to find a neutral venue. No doubt with UEFA guidance. If they fail to do that, then the tie is awarded to us. 

On the other hand, if the Israeli Government give it the go ahead, and our Government says we cannot travel to Israel, then we forfeit.

That’s per a clarifying statement made by UEFA a few weeks ago regarding potential CoVid cancellations. Quite clear cut about who is regarded as defaulting if a game is not played. I suggest Airdrie as a neutral option. More likely Cyprus. 

apollon are playing wednesday and apoel thursday in the gsp nicosia so where do we fit in?

I hope we can put in a decent performance against Aberdeen and come away with a point or three to boost our confidence ahead of the European game. Got to think that With respect to the Israeli team or either of the other two, you would be expecting Celtic or Rangers to beat them so we really have nothing to fear. Just unfortunate that we seem to be struggling at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, daver said:

Hastie has been dreadful since signing but last night he surpassed himself. Apart from one clearance I wouldn't have known he had even come on. At least Seedorf was getting on the ball before over-hitting it.

Did he not play at left back after the sending off

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Travelling to Israel during covid-times wont be cheap

True. But it probably offsets by lower cost of short trip to Belfast which would have been cheaper than most other ties we could have got. 

BBC reporting tie will go ahead but not at their stadium as it is under development. So probably a stadium near Tel Aviv. 

I would expect at least 50% of prize money would be eaten up by costs for this round. You can probably rule out win bonuses but you never know....

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Travelling to Israel during covid-times wont be cheap

A quick check on sky scanner will show tickets for 500£ return. If we can’t put together the trip for less than 30/40k then we’ve done something wrong. I guess we will need to wait and see what wonderful investments the remaining 210/220k will be spent on 

Well that great result v Aberdeen away will probably remove any complacency the Israeli side may have had. 

They probably will have heard of Aberdeen and not Motherwell so for us to win 3-0 away will make them sit up and notice. 

Was always going to be a tough ask but hopefully it gives our players a good boost ahead of the trip to Tel Aviv. 

• Like 1