Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

McGinlay may not be great (and should have conceded a pen himself) but he's playing as spare man in a back three, probably not a role he's played very often. As a left wing back, he needs work but Carroll started last season slowly so you never know. 

I know who I blame tonight and it's not Nathan McGinlay...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Thats what annoys me most, Beer Sheva are bang average, no better than what we face in the SPL, the game had extra time and pens all over it till we gifted them the 1st goal, we had no belief from the start,  never got in their faces from the off, which coupled with shambolic defending was always going to end badly.

They say football's a funny game but we battered Aberdeen at the weekend but I bet you anything Aberdeen would have beaten Beer Sheva tonight.

4 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I have a degree of sympathy on the penalty front, these teams are so street wise its incredible. The referees buy it as well. Saying that, today's was a pen but generally speaking.

Not that it matters but thought the pen was six and half a dozen but he could’ve been off for the tackle before it

Just now, steelboy said:

We had three chances at 11 Vs 11 which was the same as them. 

Considering we have guys like Grimmy, McGinlay, Lamie and Polworth playing we are doing very well to compete. 

I thought Grimmy did reasonably well. 

Sadly our squad isn't getting stronger , too many players aren't good enough as has been the case all season.  Irrespective of poor defending we don't create chances.  

6 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Yip, should have been all round the ref at the Watt incident in the 1st half. Must pressurise refs, particularly in Europe. Then if touched in the opposition box make sure you go down as hard as possible. Wouldn’t be surprised if we finish with 9...

We go into these games unprepared and naive. Dortmund, Katowice, Nancy, Panathanaikos, Coleraine and now tonight ad infinitum. These teams are streetwise and experienced and do what it takes to get through. I suspect that the next time we’re in Europe a new batch of players will have to learn the same lesson all over again. 

European competition is very ruthless. You must take your chance(s) and remain solid at the back. This game always had the potential to be a bit of a mare and if we can hold them to 3 0 it will be respectable. 

McGinlay & Lamie are laughably bad. They are as poor as defenders get at our level. Gallagher was pathetic tonight and should be stripped of the captaincy. He's been poor all season but tonight was a new low.

Its frightening how naive we are. Yet again we have opponents throwing themselves all over the place and yet we still push, pull and grapple.

Never looked like scoring in a million years. Our tactics are that of a poor U15 team, pass the ball across the back 3, then one of them or the keeper launches a 50 yard diagonal at a wing back who is unable to win the ball. The 1 chance we do make and a so called international cant bury a free header from 5 yards. We are so badly coached its shocking. We cant defend crosses, defenders all over the shop, midfield movement non existant. Watt & Campbell are miles above the rest of our squad. 

• Like 1

Individual errors and lack of composure killed us.

Theres a lot of talk about players not being good enough and poor signings etc but it was mistakes from two players we would say were good enough in Gallagher and O'Donnell that really let us down. 

We're a mid table Scottish side,  that's our level and that's the level of players we have on average. Some a bit better, some a bit worse but in average it's a 6th to 8th placed SPL side.

Here's hoping for a good cup run to give us some cheer this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Watt managed to get an elbow on the boys head in the second collision.

Chris Long never fails to let us down. O'Donnell's marking was hopeless. 

Yip. Madness to be that tight on the edge of the 18 yard box.

I thought that was a pen. 

McGinley looks ropy. 

45 minutes ago, steelboy said:

McGinlay moves like Joe Chalmers.

23 going on 43.

42 minutes ago, steelboy said:

They have some professionalism and we don't. 

Another red card in Europe. 

41 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Declan assessing his own performance there. 

How thick are our players and staff?

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

McGinlay is another haddy to add to the collection.

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Our players just don't have the mental discipline not to make stupid errors. It's piss poor coaching through the age groups through into the first team.

We have done some things well but shot ourselves in the foot as we always do in Europe.

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club should auction Jordan White's minutes to the fans to raise some money. Couldn't be any worse. 

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's surely that we are dumb than every single other team being street wise. 

We got done by part timers last week. 

You've got an actual hard-on right now don't you? 

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We go into these games unprepared and naive. Dortmund, Katowice, Nancy, Panathanaikos, Coleraine and now tonight ad infinitum. These teams are streetwise and experienced and do what it takes to get through. I suspect that the next time we’re in Europe a new batch of players will have to learn the same lesson all over again. 

European competition is very ruthless. You must take your chance(s) and remain solid at the back. This game always had the potential to be a bit of a mare and if we can hold them to 3 0 it will be respectable. 

Yip, we never seem to learn.

On reflection though, they had 2 or 3 players that were a step above us, they were playing in their country, the heat suited them and they have much more European experience, let’s be honest the odds were stacked against us.

Just very frustrating that we give away 2 goals from set pieces and the thought of what might have been if the ref sends the boy off when he should have in the first half.  

Also, one other thing I didn’t think of at the time was, after giving the pen does he really need to dish out a 2nd yellow for that ‘foul’? Putting aside the first yellow, which could have been red, is that grappling a yellow card anywhere else on the pitch, don’t think so....

Thought we got turned over by a more experienced team. 
Overall I didn’t think we deserved that score line.

thought wee Campbell bossed  it in the 1st half but he and the others just ran out of steam, which is understandable in the heat.

add that to some shit defending and we were never going to turn this mob over with our lack of decent strikers .

i thought for 60 minutes we gave a reasonable account, but after Dicklan lost the plot, we were fecked.

thought Watt was immense up front and showed Long up for the moody lazy twat that he is..

sad the adventure’s over but some money in the bank is better than a kick to the baws..

hopefully we can batter the h**s this weekend..

1 minute ago, bladesman said:

Thought we got turned over by a more experienced team. 
Overall I didn’t think we deserved that score line.

thought wee Campbell bossed  it in the 1st half but he and the others just ran out of steam, which is understandable in the heat.

add that to some shit defending and we were never going to turn this mob over with our lack of decent strikers .

i thought for 60 minutes we gave a reasonable account, but after Dicklan lost the plot, we were fecked.

thought Watt was immense up front and showed Long up for the moody lazy twat that he is..

sad the adventure’s over but some money in the bank is better than a kick to the baws..

hopefully we can batter the h**s this weekend..

Agree - Watt was excellent, got involved and able to draw free kicks.  

Agree with most of the comments above on how few acceptable performers we had (Campbell, Watt and Carson the exceptions).

Robinson's reluctance to to change the shape to get something out of the game also a problem.  No better illustrated than his 3rd substitute, bringing on Maguire (who I believe should have started in the back 3).  The game was over the correct options were Hastie to chase a goal or else to give Cornelius a run - we had nothing to lose.