Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

21 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't think you can say it's a decent performance when we've not put in a single decent ball against a fairly average team, gifted goals and ended up getting gubbed.

We've been exposed as not being good enough against modest European opposition.

Modest European opposition that in recent years have beaten amongst others inter milan twice,celtic olympiacos etc. We are low euro opposition if that's case. The fact tonight was really poor defending. The 1st yes I blame odonnell but we should still have had more defenders in central area. 2nd was same not enough in central are but gallagher didn't need to do that but their striker was clever and was also grabbing him. Mcginley looked slow and indecisive but hes no played much and look how much bevis has improved so you never know.  I also feel if we can play with the confidence we had in some parts of tonight we will be well up league again. Chance lost tonight where in other euro games in long ago but recent times like nancy levante,panathanaikos we were well beaten and I felt we deserved to go out but tonight I didn't feel they were miles better

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, postiejim said:

We don't have enough quality players for Europe. 

Agree entirely Jim, I am not saying we deserve anything out of the game but there were spells of the game I thought we looked half decent especially on the first 25 minutes of the second half, but once again a moment of madness by Gallagher killed the game as a contest, although once again we let in a goal just before the half time, although you have to say it was great cross and good header but terrible defending. I honestly think we missed Mugabi badly tonight whether it would have made the difference I would doubt it. To tell you the truth I wasn’t too confident of a victory in Israel,, but we just have to hope we can recover for Sunday! 
I have a bad feeling unfortunately for then.

Just now, Yorkyred said:

Anyway, a game that we were underdogs and that’s the way it panned out, not going to do the whole player assassination thing. We’ve made decent money and I would guess got as far as anyone expected so we move on.

I don't disagree that this is as far as we would expect to get but having seen the team that put us out, I've seen us beat better Old Firm teams (granted also seen us scudded by worse teams) so there's a degree of frustration at what might have been.

Having said that, I've seen us lose 3-0 to Airdrie at Fir Park. Puts it in perspective a bit...

4 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Modest European opposition that in recent years have beaten amongst others inter milan twice,celtic olympiacos etc. We are low euro opposition if that's case. The fact tonight was really poor defending. The 1st yes I blame odonnell but we should still have had more defenders in central area. 2nd was same not enough in central are but gallagher didn't need to do that but their striker was clever and was also grabbing him. Mcginley looked slow and indecisive but hes no played much and look how much bevis has improved so you never know.  I also feel if we can play with the confidence we had in some parts of tonight we will be well up league again. Chance lost tonight where in other euro games in long ago but recent times like nancy levante,panathanaikos we were well beaten and I felt we deserved to go out but tonight I didn't feel they were miles better

You do realize none of the team you eulogize above are still there? They have got rid of all their best players. A chunk of their squad was apparently playing Israeli 2nd div in July! Yes they have SOME players better than ours and are overall a better team, but they are very ordinary, and never needed to get out of second gear tonight

• Like 1

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

I don't disagree that this is as far as we would expect to get but having seen the team that put us out, I've seen us beat better Old Firm teams (granted also seen us scudded by worse teams) so there's a degree of frustration at what might have been.

Having said that, I've seen us lose 3-0 to Airdrie at Fir Park. Puts it in perspective a bit...

I just generally have the perspective that Scottish football is of a very poor standard regardless. A team like Celtic that have dominated the domestic game get found out time and again against pretty modest opposition in Europe. We simply don’t have the quality of footballer to make a difference and even against very average sides we are still a level down. That’s just the way it is and as much as you can always point to individual mistakes the long and short of it is it’s damage limitation pretty quickly in Europe and we probably got as far as could be reasonable expected.

Well, that was that. 

I actually don’t think we were bad tonight. We were the better side in the first half and second half we ran out of steam. Two absolutely criminal bits of defending and some ineptitude at set Pieces cost us, however that shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone given the way we have started the season. 

Given the way we have started and the amount of shite in the squad, it’ll be a few years at least before we return to European competition so it will be tough to take much forward from tonight other than a massive case of ‘what if’.

We are bereft of any real quality in the outfield other than Campbell but again that isn’t a surprise either. 
The crucial decision for the board is now stick or twist. Yes the weekend result was decent but I maintain this squad isn’t good enough and needs an injection to start clear of relegation in the long run. The performances of some of the newer bodies do not however suggest that the hiring policy is good enough however to make any real difference....

it’s a puzzle 

11 minutes ago, Shaka said:

You do realize none of the team you eulogize above are still there? They have got rid of all their best players. A chunk of their squad was apparently playing Israeli 2nd div in July! Yes they have SOME players better than ours and are overall a better team, but they are very ordinary, and never needed to get out of second gear tonight

Yes I read the herald article but we had in our team players who were in scottish 2nd division and English God knows what division. They are modest euro opposition in comparison with Barca etc but still above us. This cliche that fans say they never get out of 2nd gear is a load of crap they would have been nervous if that stupid 1st goal hadn't happened as we had best chances up to then.

13 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Modest European opposition that in recent years have beaten amongst others inter milan twice,celtic olympiacos etc. We are low euro opposition if that's case. 

I think they were better than us tonight but they weren't unsurpassable if we'd even had a wee bit of quality about us and we'd been professional in defending.

Better Motherwell teams would have beaten that Hapoel team and at this stage you'll be lucky to get drawn against a more beatable side than the one we played tonight.

I agree with you about our rating in the great European scheme of things.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm fairly  certain I made some positive comments as well.

There was a lot to criticise even for a mad happy clapper like yourself.

Haha, aye you did. But those would ruin my shite patter so had to be selective.

Yeah, I think we can be disappointed in that. We actually looked pretty well organised and up for it but undone by a defensive lapse and a moment of madness from two experienced players who should've done so much better. 

Just now, beastfromtheeast(stand) said:

Hapoel beer Sheva have beat inter Milan 2x, Celtic and olympiacos in the last five years the way people are talking about them on here it is as if we are playing a junior mob.

I couldn't care less what they have done in the past...tonight they were there for the taking and but for poor discipline for the 1st two goals we would have given them a real run for their money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think they were better than us tonight but they weren't unsurpassable if we'd even had a wee bit of quality about us and we'd been professional in defending.

Better Motherwell teams would have beaten that Hapoel team and at this stage you'll be lucky to get drawn against a more beatable side than the one we played tonight.

I agree with you about our rating in the great European scheme of things.

Yep and that is the frustration yabezzer. As someone said our players are naive and not used to euro football. It's easy to see we are not gd enough but a couple of gd results could have got us in group stages where financially and emotionally would be amazing 

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I couldn't care less what they have done in the past...tonight they were there for the taking and but for poor discipline for the 1st two goals we would have given them a real run for their money

I agree with that but when your coming up against a European side with recent history in the cl group u can’t expect much away from home. 

They will put you to the sword with the limited chances given as shown.

The truth is that we have probably done as well as could have been expected in Europe this season. In reality, the draw was pretty favourable with two teams from Nirthern Ireland before getting a side rated higher than us. The Covid situation with "one off" fixtures and no supporters in the ground was probably also in our favour. I think it is fair to say that it would Bea major shock if any Scottish team, out with the old firm, were to make the group stages of the Europa League. As such, it seems churlish to criticise our team and players for their failure to do so. It is a money making exercise and we have, to a certain degree, achieved that particular goal.

2 minutes ago, The African said:

The truth is that we have probably did as well as could have been expected in Europe this season. In reality, the draw was pretty favourable with two teams from Nirthern Ireland before getting a side rated higher than us. The Covid situation with "one off" fixtures and no supporters in the ground was probably also in our favour. I think it is fair to say that it would Bea major shock if any Scottish team, out with the old firm, were to make the group stages of the Europa League. As such, it seems churlish to criticise our team and players for their failure to do so. It is a money making exercise and we have, to a certain degree, achieved that particular goal.

Away and dont talk shite....we have had a very favourable draw, The Israelis were there for the taking and we have absolutely shat the nest 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSteelman said:

Does anyone else think Ricki Lamie is absolute pish or am I the only one? So far he has cost us goals and free kicks all over the place , his position is questionable and I think he is a pish player altogether? Not see any positives from the guy yet but he keeps getting his game.

His pal 'deccy' thinks hes a player though 

For once I would love us to beat a seeded team. Many others manage it including Coleraine most recently. 

Hapoel Beer Sheva are not as good as they were when they beat Inter Milan home and away, but they still have a better squad and players being paid a lot more than our Motherwell squad.

To be honest to have a chance we needed a home draw. Playing away in Israel (How the fuck are they in UEFA competition) is tough because of the heat. Even if we did manage to keep it at 0-0 till late on I suspect we would tire. 

Disappointing but I felt We matched them 1st half and even up till the 2nd goal. 

Missed Big Bevis. We mention for Tony Watt. Thought he had another good game. 

28 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Yes I read the herald article but we had in our team players who were in scottish 2nd division and English God knows what division. They are modest euro opposition in comparison with Barca etc but still above us. This cliche that fans say they never get out of 2nd gear is a load of crap they would have been nervous if that stupid 1st goal hadn't happened as we had best chances up to then.

We had nothing apart from a free header in the second half. The keppers only save was in the 93rd minute. We never pushed them at all. 

Dont get me wrong, we played ok in the first half, but they never broke sweat. Watt worked like fuck. Long can get to fuck tho, lazy moody waste of a jersey

6 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Away and dont talk shite....we have had a very favourable draw, The Israelis were there for the taking and we have absolutely shat the nest 

I am not saying that the draw this season was not favourable. However, we obviously have different opinions as to how good we currently are.