Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

9 minutes ago, SuperSteelman said:

Does anyone else think Ricki Lamie is absolute pish or am I the only one? So far he has cost us goals and free kicks all over the place , his position is questionable and I think he is a pish player altogether? Not see any positives from the guy yet but he keeps getting his game.

He's poor.    Tom Aldred feels like a long time ago. 

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

We are not forward focussed enough, because our wing backs don’t attack or overlap we only have 2 strikers and Polworth looking to move forward.  It’s not enough.

completely agree - I had high expectations for O'Donnell. I had thought moving to a back 4 would see both wing backs push up but it's not happening. 

There's was acres of space on that pitch tonight and we really didn't use it. 

I don’t see the point in berating the players after this. The same (almost) players had a terrific display last weekend. Having said that,  there have been some Comments that are probably not wrong. I’d like to see McGinley and Lamie drop out of the side. O’Donnel and Gallagher has terrible game today but they might be about as good a player as we can get for their positions and hopefully will start bro play better and more consistently very soon.  Grimmy has done much better in midfield than his fullback performances earlier in the season. Would have been nice to have had Mugabi there tonight but he’ll be back for Sunday. Considering individual performances tonight we done very well and were still in with a shout at 70 mins. I thought we started the second half pressing, as we should but then our second defensive lapse ended it for us. 

All opinions aside, first half we played ok, held our own, but realistically we have conceded 4 pens in three European games, you will struggle to win domestic with that kind of defending let alone games in Europe, ok we won the first two the later by the skin of or teeth,  but you can’t gift tonight’s opponents a free goal and expect to get anything from the game ...

Not sure who is worse, Lamie or McGinlay. Both are awful and will drag us down! Its made even worse that Gallagher has been utter shite this season.

The way I see it, our signings have been terrible, we are a very poorly coached team and our "bigger" players (apart from Campbell) ie Gallagher, O'Donnell, Long seem to  believe their own hype and need a shake. 

4 minutes ago, milo said:

I wonder how much we saved ditching Tait and Hartley and replacing them them with cheaper and significantly worse options we replaced them with?

The decision to not resign both Tait and Hartley was probably sound on a footballing sense. They both poked like they were on a downward curve in terms of performance and fitness.The nature and quality of their replacements is another matter entirely.

• Like 3

From a coaching perspective I  not sure why teams line up they way they do at corners and free kicks. I know they are the professionals but sometimes, for me, they over complicate things. Why have such a high line when you end up running back towards your own goal? Why they ever took the defender of the back post at corners, I still don’t get that. Defending corners and further out free kicks is about 1 thing, getting the ball before that attacking team. Focus on that instead of pushing and pulling  

This one stings.

It wasn't an especially poor performance by any manner of means, we weren't great but for a large chunk of the game we were more than half decent. And I don't think the opposition were particularly startling either. If, as was said Glentoran and Coleraine were roughly a Morton or Queen of the South, then I'd say this lot were perhaps going away to a Killie, Hearts or St Johnstone.  Difficult sure,  but by no means unbeatable.

But a combination of naivety and stupidity cost us dear.

Break it right down and your sliding doors moment perhaps, they put the free-header they had in the net, we put ours over the bar. 

The free-kick given away by Long was naive, the marking in the box appalling.  But until then I thought we'd played pretty well.  Long did well with the turn and shot, Watt a little unfortunate to get his feet tangled and the shot from close range blocked.  But we were matching them comfortably.  Their theatrics that were garnering them fouls I think we'd one shot to concern ourselves with.  So frustrating for Long to be suckered and the poor defending so close to the break.

I thought we started the second half purposefully but without creating a great deal of chances. And you can't then pass up the kind of chance that fell to Gallagher.

I was anticipating a change and when McGinley gifted them the opportunity I thought that was the time to go to four at the back and put on a winger.  But then Gallagher killed it.  If there was some justification in "taking one for the team" with the first yellow, to immediately follow that up seconds later by attempting to strange someone in the box. I mean come on!!!

It was done then. 

The third adds what feels like some undeserved gloss but in much the same way as we were clinical at Pittodrie so too were Hapoel tonight.

I don't have Odense, Stjarnan, Katowice or MyPa style regrets but this is most certainly an opportunity lost.  Particularly when so much of the damage was self-inflicted.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

All opinions aside, first half we played ok, held our own, but realistically we have conceded 4 pens in three European games, you will struggle to win domestic with that kind of defending let alone games in Europe, ok we won the first two the later by the skin of or teeth,  but you can’t gift tonight’s opponents a free goal and expect to get anything from the game ...

THAT is the frustrating thing. We didnt get beat tonight, we threw that game away! We gave them 2 goals AND a red card out of nothing but stupidity.

They are a better team than us, there is not 1 iota of doubt in that, however they were there for the taking! They werent superior in every aspect, they were streetwise and tidy on the ball with a couple decent players, they didnt have to try break us down, they sat there organized and we cut our own throats..... again!

21 minutes ago, SuperSteelman said:

Does anyone else think Ricki Lamie is absolute pish or am I the only one? So far he has cost us goals and free kicks all over the place , his position is questionable and I think he is a pish player altogether? Not see any positives from the guy yet but he keeps getting his game.

A reasonable summary, only two from Grimmy, Lamie and McGinley will play on Sunday and Grimmy has redeemed himself a little.

50 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I cant remember ever being as angry at a Motherwell player, as I do tonight with Declan Gallagher 

Totally agree,he sold the jerseys big time tonight and ended any chance we had of getting back into the game,the captain should lead by example and he does that.he's been poor all season and if being captain is affecting his game,it should be taking off him immediately before he costs us again.

50 minutes ago, SuperSteelman said:

Totally agree he is brutal, gives me the fear big time, at the 1st goal he was in no one's land marking nobody, not a clue where the runners were, and not his only error, needs dropped ASAP, not good enough.

27 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

This one stings.

It wasn't an especially poor performance by any manner of means, we weren't great but for a large chunk of the game we were more than half decent. And I don't think the opposition were particularly startling either. If, as was said Glentoran and Coleraine were roughly a Morton or Queen of the South, then I'd say this lot were perhaps going away to a Killie, Hearts or St Johnstone.  Difficult sure,  but by no means unbeatable.

I think that is being a little disingenuous. HBS have a club coefficient of 14. That is a little less than Rangers and a whole lot more than a Killie or St Johnstone would ever have. 

They actually were not as good as I thought they would be but they have more experience in Europe and it showed. When you add that to the self inflicted wounds we make time and again then no surprise how it played out. 

I felt we played well enough up until the sending off and penalty.

Thought midfield and Tony Watt were decent. Felt defensively we were poor. Gallacher since he has had the armband had gone backwards. O’Donnell will likely be with us beyond Xmas as he has been OK but was not great tonight. Had high hoped for McGinley but so far so average. Lamie is Lamie and a good squad player. Always good for at least one total lapse in concentration and fuck up that will last probably lead to a goal or good chance for the opposition. 

Downbeat but not disheartened. We got as far as we expected too if not a round further due to Coleraine beating Maribor. 

18 minutes ago, ropy said:

Dec was out of position and had been skinned but there was no need for a lunge out at the edge of the pitch, just lazy football.

I dunno, I thought it was one of those decent yellows. The boy who skinned him is rapid and if I remember correctly there was a lot of empty space between him and the goal. 

To put a guy in a headlock 2 minutes later is absolutely mental though. Even if he had his hands over Gallagher he's got to be smarter than that. 

6 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I think that is being a little disingenuous. HBS have a club coefficient of 14. That is a little less than Rangers and a whole lot more than a Killie or St Johnstone would ever have.

Their co-efficient is of course largely derived through the achievements of past sides and not the team we faced this evening.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Totally agree he is brutal, gives me the fear big time, at the 1st goal he was in no one's land marking nobody, not a clue where the runners were, and not his only error, needs dropped ASAP, not good enough.

He's absolutely dire,spends the whole time daydreaming and has no clue of his surroundings,he's an accident waiting to happen anytime he's on the park,should be nowhere near the starting 11.

3 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Their co-efficient is of course largely derived through the achievements of past sides and not the team we faced this evening.

I get that but the truth is probably somewhere in between.
They would comfortably beat Killie and St J in Israel more often than not. 
Anyway when I started this thread I probably did not think we would get past 50 pages. 

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

He's absolutely dire,spends the whole time daydreaming and has no clue of his surroundings,he's an accident waiting to happen anytime he's on the park,should be nowhere near the starting 11.

He wouldnt be anywhere near the starting 11 of any other premiership team, same with McGinlay and probably Grimshaw, tho to be fair Grimmy was decent tonite

8 minutes ago, Shaka said:

He wouldnt be anywhere near the starting 11 of any other premiership team, same with McGinlay and probably Grimshaw, tho to be fair Grimmy was decent tonite

Only 3 to blame tonight, Gallagher and O'Donnell for not picking up and gifting the 1st goal, and long for making a stupid tackle and giving away the free kick.

Up till then HBS never looked like scoring. Even at 1-0 down we were well in the game and under no real pressure until Gallagher had a meltdown inside 2 mins and it was game over.

We actually played ok tonight but our lack of goal threat and defensive meltdown made an average beatable team look good, and that's what pisses me off most.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Only 3 to blame tonight, Gallagher and O'Donnell for not picking up and gifting the 1st goal, and long for making a stupid tackle and giving away the free kick.

Up till then HBS never looked like scoring. Even at 1-0 down we were well in the game and under no real pressure until Gallagher had a meltdown inside 2 mins and it was game over.

We actually played ok tonight but our lack of goal threat and defensive meltdown made an average beatable team look good, and that's what pisses me off most.

I agree 100%