Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Welldaft Mk1

7 hours ago, A Well Fan said:

I wondered how long that would take.

You can't just say that. It doesn't work that way. They dropped down from the Champions League qualifiers and then played clubs from Andorra, Moldova and Faroe Islands. Some of the clubs in that route are nowhere near the level of the clubs in the other route.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.  I only saw the headline news and wasn't aware of their qualifying path.

If you add the coefficient points of all 3 clubs it comes to 16. Good luck to Dundalk. The Moldovan mob were seeded higher but to get a Faroes team in the play off round is taking the piss a little when others are playing Spurs, AC Milan etc. 

I am glad we were in Europe and hope to be again soon. But that does not change my mind that UEFA it is one of the most self serving organisations on planet earth. Basically it all about how we maximise revenue and literally NOTHING to do with sporting integrity. I have never agreed with seedlings in cup competitions but the fact UEFA seed every round up to the group stages is ridiculous. And as mentioned to give Champions League losers multiple chances and an easier path. Taking the piss at this point......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

That set up is a disgrace, if a team qualifies for the CL, they should play in that till they are eliminated, all this, champions path and dropping into the EL is feckin nonsense, if you are out you should be out, so Dundalk were beaten in the CL qualifiers as were Celtic, so both should be out with no further European involvement this season.

Its even applied after the CL group stages ffs, a UEFA carve up to pander to the top teams and TV companies. If that nonsense stopped there would be more places available for the EL, oh and while I am on my rant the CL should be for champions only or change the name.

Totally agree Allan. Also, each country has only have one league champion per year, so they should only be one entrant per country for the Champions League. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That set up is a disgrace, if a team qualifies for the CL, they should play in that till they are eliminated, all this, champions path and dropping into the EL is feckin nonsense, if you are out you should be out, so Dundalk were beaten in the CL qualifiers as were Celtic, so both should be out with no further European involvement this season.

Its even applied after the CL group stages ffs, a UEFA carve up to pander to the top teams and TV companies. If that nonsense stopped there would be more places available for the EL, oh and while I am on my rant the CL should be for champions only or change the name.

It gets worse next season.  You can drop out of the CL, lose in the EL and you drop into the Conf League!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I see it's been confirmed that Scotland has 5 teams in UEFA competitions next season.

1st and 2nd get into Champions League qualifying rounds, 3rd and 4th into Europa League qualifiers and Scottish Cup winners also into Europa League qualifiers.

3rd and 4th will go into the new conference competition