Welldaft Mk1

Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

14 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The Euro play offs are one legged affairs. So we play Israel at home and then Norway or Serbia away. That is what I mean. That was dreamed up by UEFA and we all accept it.  

Uefa dreamed up one legged qualifying ties for Europa qualifying and again if we got 2 or 3 away draws then bad luck but we accept it. Under normal circumstances Well fans could still travel to these away games. Suddenly deciding that means no crowds for sporting integrity is such a crock of shit. If they said because of Covid then fine but don’t give me sporting integrity from UEFA of all institutions !

Ah sorry. I see what you mean now.

For me the European competitions died when they went to groups. I used to love the 2-leg knockout format. But as with all things in modern football, big clubs' profit comes first. And don't get me started on teams that are "demoted" to the later stages of the Europa League when they finish 3rd in their Champions League group.

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Ah sorry. I see what you mean now.

For me the European competitions died when they went to groups. I used to love the 2-leg knockout format. But as with all things in modern football, big clubs' profit comes first. And don't get me started on teams that are "demoted" to the later stages of the Europa League when they finish 3rd in their Champions League group.

I was in a poor mood last night you could probably tell...

Agree with all of the above.  Especially demotion of teams from Champions League. 

As hard as they might try to defend themselves almost every decision UEFA make is to favour the larger, more popular and better supported sides in Europe. It is almost exclusively geared so there are very few small teams able to venture far in their respective competitions. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that if we are drawn against a team from a country that hasn't an air bridge agreement with us then we have to find a neutral venue to play the game or we are given a 3-0 defeat and are knocked out of competition. 

? Anyone confirm. 

1 hour ago, real dosser said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if we are drawn against a team from a country that hasn't an air bridge agreement with us then we have to find a neutral venue to play the game or we are given a 3-0 defeat and are knocked out of competition. 

? Anyone confirm. 

There's a bit about it in The Record.

Apparently Poland, Greece, Hungary and Cyprus have offered stadiums with travel corridors to allow games to be played in neutral venues if necessary.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

There's a bit about it in The Record.

Apparently Poland, Greece, Hungary and Cyprus have offered stadiums with travel corridors to allow games to be played in neutral venues if necessary.

I do appreciate that they're not even pretending at the Record anymore. Headline could simply have said 'Scottish Clubs'.  Nope, it's Celtic and Rangers...

• Haha 2