Jump to content

Welldaft Mk1

Europa League Campaign 2020-2021

Recommended Posts

Am I right in thinking that Glentoran, in common with other Irish teams, will not resume league fixtures until some time in October? Consequently, they  may be a bit ring rusty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I think there is a playoff round between 3rd qual and group stage?

 

The 3rd qualifying round is the play-off stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Am I right in thinking that Glentoran, in common with other Irish teams, will not resume league fixtures until some time in October? Consequently, they  may be a bit ring rusty. 

They had a couple of Cup games in July so not completely cold but rusty, Torshavn will get the benefit of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up in Ballymena so I watched their cup final game the other week. Given both sides had barely kicked a ball in months the quality was understandably pretty poor, but even if they were mid season, there is absolutely no chance we'll lose to Glentoran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Am I right in thinking that Glentoran, in common with other Irish teams, will not resume league fixtures until some time in October? Consequently, they  may be a bit ring rusty. 

The NIFL Premiership kicks off again on October 17th, so they've a while yet before regular games if they go out to Torshavn or us. Cliftonville have been playing friendlies against Championship and amateur sides over here, Linfield are in full flow in their Champions League qualifiers and Coleraine will be starting their Euro warm ups soon as well, so the Glens may get some friendlies lined up for fitness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy_P said:

The 3rd qualifying round is the play-off stage.

pasted below from UEFA site for 2020-21
Qualifying

20/08/2020 Preliminary round
27/08/2020 First qualifying round
17/09/2020 Second qualifying round
24/09/2020 Third qualifying round
01/10/2020 Play-offs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

pasted below from UEFA site for 2020-21
Qualifying

20/08/2020 Preliminary round
27/08/2020 First qualifying round
17/09/2020 Second qualifying round
24/09/2020 Third qualifying round
01/10/2020 Play-offs

You're right. I'd been looking at the stage where other teams came into the competition and it went from 3rd Qualifying to Groups and I'd wrongly assumed that was the Play Off. 

The Play Off stage of course still has to be populated by the Champions League drop downs hence there's no teams showing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I grew up in Ballymena so I watched their cup final game the other week. Given both sides had barely kicked a ball in months the quality was understandably pretty poor, but even if they were mid season, there is absolutely no chance we'll lose to Glentoran.

Ooft! Thats a bold claim! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that the results in Europe this week means Scotland is now guaranteed to be ranked in the top 15 in the coefficient table for the 21/22 season. That means there are 5 European spots to play for in this campaign.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fuckin hate the OF as much as everyone else but through gritted teeth I don't mind seeing them making the CL group stages if it helps improve the coefficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I fuckin hate the OF as much as everyone else but through gritted teeth I don't mind seeing them making the CL group stages if it helps improve the coefficient.

I had an epiphany about a season or two that brought me to the same outlook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glentoran v HB Torshavn is on the iPlayer on Thursday if any of you fancy a wee scouting mission. Good chance to see if Bigirimana and compare up to the challenge. 

Christy Manzinga's Linfield army are also streaming their match against Legia Warsaw on the Been tomorrow night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any word on how we will be able to watch next week's game? Assuming us and Aberdeen will be playing on the same night, will the BBC cover both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume as its a home game, it will be on MFC tv. Not sure if it will be covered on the season ticket, but it will surely be available on ppv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

I presume as its a home game, it will be on MFC tv. Not sure if it will be covered on the season ticket, but it will surely be available on ppv.

My understanding of it was that Sky own the exclusive rights to the domestic football, and that under the current circumstances were allowing clubs to stream until we could get fans back in. Not sure if that it would be the same agreement for European football, especially since those rights are owned exclusively by BT. Wondering if the BBC are showing the N.Irish sides playing because it is such an early round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect our game to be on TV, be it Premier Sports or BT. As of next week, only the Scottish and French leagues will be playing in Western Europe. A big gap in the sports channels schedules.  

Regards the club stream, pretty sure the club said when advertising season tickets that it would guarantee access to the first European tie. Maybe I'm misremembering that though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, Haggischomper said:

Fuck coefficients and fuck seedings. Get the names in a hat and draw them out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
 

Not in this life Uefa don't run football at the European level anymore, the TV companies do, they dictate the format. And the elite clubs who benefit most from TV are in full agreement and nobody give a damm about the smaller clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how European games factor into the mix for MFC TV.  It's not listed as one of the upcoming fixtures yet (although that might be due to not knowing opponents). Given the issues there are with domestic cup games, however, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's available for streaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Not sure how European games factor into the mix for MFC TV.  It's not listed as one of the upcoming fixtures yet (although that might be due to not knowing opponents). Given the issues there are with domestic cup games, however, I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's available for streaming.

Season ticket holder get free access to first game...touch wood we proceed then if home you need to pay to view it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To allow it to be streamed, you’ve got to have proper filming and editing in place. Unsure if that will be the case unless one of the TV channels pick it up and share their footage with us. 

The coverage for the league games so far is filmed by an SPFL supplier and we get access to that Stream Digital package that into MFCTV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Season ticket holder get free access to first game...touch wood we proceed then if home you need to pay to view it

That was the case if we were going to be attending, might not be the case for streaming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ropy said:

That was the case if we were going to be attending, might not be the case for streaming

Will be interesting to see what the club do. 

As it is a UEFA competition then I am quite sure there will be stringent rules around broadcasting. If Glentoran win though there may be enough interest from a Premier Sports but I doubt BT would be interested. 

BBC Iplayer I believe is playing the game tonight so may be similar next week. 

However part of season ticket offering was free entry to 1st Europa game. So if it club streamed the game we would get for free but if not then does that carry over to next round and we may draw Spurs.  In which case BT would probably show the game. 

Q remains will we get a European game as part of season ticket money. I am not overly bothered myself but there must come a time where it becomes a real issue for the club and more so fans. Season ticket works out on ave £18 per game v £12 for streaming ! The more games we miss the more the club will have to consider refund. And probably hope again that most season ticket holders do not request any refund. 

Interesting and frustrating times !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×