2020/21 Online Match Streaming Discussion

David

Not really heard all that much about this, but it's going to be "a thing" before too long with the season due to start soon.

So, anyone know how its going to work? I know we had a streaming service in place already, although it was mainly geared towards overseas fans getting access to live games. 

Now that streaming live games will be open to domestic audiences, what's the story? I know season ticket holders are getting the games for free, but what about non-season ticket holders?

Will it be something like a tenner a game? How much of the revenue does the club get? 

Hopefully we'll get some answers before too long.

Hello,

We're hoping to put out some details soon.

For season ticket holders, it will be on the same platform as the international streams. We'll send out codes and instructions of how to watch the games in the next week or so.

Will hopefully have answers on other points ASAP.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I had thought it was only season ticket holders that would get the access to stream, hence the uncertainty over away fans getting to watch games, and that it was as much an incentive to fans to still buy a season ticket as anything.

Only providing access to season ticket holders would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Imagine how many other fans are out there, both home and away, willing to pay a tenner or whatever for a stream of the game? 

I honestly think this is the future of football. It's taken this virus to force through changes to the rule saying 3pm kick-offs can't be shown, and now the toothpaste is out the tube I don't know if it'll revert back.

It's a revenue maker that will hopefully sit alongside actual ticket money from match-going fans. I don't for a second think that a fan who is able and willing to attend in person is going to change their mind because there's a stream available. Those fans will always go to the games when they can.

What this approach does is open up an option for those who can't physically make it to a game. 

• Like 1

I think the one off SPFL Broadcasting rules for this season do allow streaming to non season ticket holders but only with Sky approval. The SPFL recently updated their entire rules and regulations, to reflect last season‘s ending and the one hopefully about to kick off.  The finer details are currently being discussed with Sky and the Clubs. For instance, does the game clash with another game being broadcast on Sky or is the actual game itself being broadcast? In those circumstances Sky are reluctant to allow non season ticket viewing as it might hurt their viewing figures.  As an example I don’t think away fans will be able to view our game at County, except on the Sky platform. In my opinion that is fair given they are paying for the right to broadcast games. 
As a means of generating income it would be fantastic if streaming could be sold on a match to match basis, both to home and always fans. But a deal still has to be worked out. I think it will happen though. Surely common sense could apply. How about Sky receive a small percentage of any non season ticket streaming sold within the UK that clashes with their live broadcasts? I am sure Mr Doncaster will have matters in hand.

5 hours ago, David said:

Only providing access to season ticket holders would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Imagine how many other fans are out there, both home and away, willing to pay a tenner or whatever for a stream of the game? 

I honestly think this is the future of football. It's taken this virus to force through changes to the rule saying 3pm kick-offs can't be shown, and now the toothpaste is out the tube I don't know if it'll revert back.

It's a revenue maker that will hopefully sit alongside actual ticket money from match-going fans. I don't for a second think that a fan who is able and willing to attend in person is going to change their mind because there's a stream available. Those fans will always go to the games when they can.

What this approach does is open up an option for those who can't physically make it to a game. 

Disagree with this I'm afraid...a run of the mill saturday match against Ross County that's on the tv? I'll be on the couch most definitely 

On 7/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Disagree with this I'm afraid...a run of the mill saturday match against Ross County that's on the tv? I'll be on the couch most definitely 

Then you'd still be paying for a stream, so the club makes money either way.

2 hours ago, David said:

Then you'd still be paying for a stream, so the club makes money either way.

Much less money, I'd think. Especially where families are involved. One household of 2 or 3 people watching a stream would generate the club's cut of a tenner or less. 2 or 3 people going through the gate would generate much more than that, even at season ticket prices.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, David said:

you are right however I think that call will be Skys and not the clubs and I dont suspect they will be overly keen to permit much outwith their control. My only slight concern if that became main stream would be the effect on away attendances. Slowly but surely away attendances are rising. Thats a good thing it creates atmosphere. I think streaming availability for all games could kill that market although possibly increase the revenue streams 

Would I go to Edinburgh or Dundee on a pissin wet freezing January day when I could sit in my comfy warm house watch the game and save myself dosh , a bit of a no Brainer.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Would I go to Edinburgh or Dundee on a pissin wet freezing January day when I could sit in my comfy warm house watch the game and save myself dosh , a bit of a no Brainer.

Quite understandable and I suspect the vast majority will agree, although its not a no brainer for everyone.  My added fear is that if it became the main stream then home attendances could be affected too. Its a wet freezing day in January, when I could sit in my comfy warm house 3 miles from Fir Park, and save myself some dosh and maybe have a few beers.  TV football is not for me, except in unusual circumstances. For a start there's no atmosphere and you have to put up with shocking commentaries and punditry more often than not. Each to their own though.  

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

30 years ago I would have and did so on many occasions, but these days probably not if the game was on TV. But that said football needs fans In the ground the games are souless without them, as the current EPL games on TV demonstrate.

TV revenue is important for clubs but so is the match day experience, the clubs have come a long way  since the Taylor report forced them to make changes, but that said some of the facilities and services on offer at SPL grounds today are still woefully inadequate. 

So its time the clubs started providing better facilities, to attract the fans and make them want to  go to matches home or away

On 7/13/2020 at 5:55 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Significantly less though...it would be financial suicide to go down that route

I don't think it'll really be a choice before long. Things are changing, both from a technology viewpoint, and from a "new normal" viewpoint.

I don't think we'll be sitting here in a year with everything back to normal, looking back on the time that pandemic fucked with a season of football. There's a good chance we're going to see more spikes in this virus over the coming year or so, and beyond that? Who knows.

We can't just keep shutting football down every time it happens, so plans will have to be made to switch things up, and I think that online streaming is the way forward in that regard.

Sadly, I think the days of football as those of us of a certain vintage know it are over. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

30 years ago I would have and did so on many occasions, but these days probably not if the game was on TV. But that said football needs fans In the ground the games are souless without them, as the current EPL games on TV demonstrate.

TV revenue is important for clubs but so is the match day experience, the clubs have come a long way  since the Taylor report forced them to make changes, but that said some of the facilities and services on offer at SPL grounds today are still woefully inadequate. 

So its time the clubs started providing better facilities, to attract the fans and make them want to  go to matches home or away

This is a good point as well.

For example, in Toronto every single Maple Leafs hockey game is televised live. But, the games are always full of fans. Same with most NFL games and so forth.

Why aren't those fans avoiding the games and just watching on telly? 

25 minutes ago, David said:

This is a good point as well.

For example, in Toronto every single Maple Leafs hockey game is televised live. But, the games are always full of fans. Same with most NFL games and so forth.

Why aren't those fans avoiding the games and just watching on telly? 

There are two NHL teams in Ontario which has a population of 15 million. Metro Toronto has a population of over 6 million. The Maple Leafs get average crowds of 20,000.

It's a stupid comparison. 

• Like 2