2020/21 Online Match Streaming Discussion

David

2 hours ago, David said:

This is a good point as well.

For example, in Toronto every single Maple Leafs hockey game is televised live. But, the games are always full of fans. Same with most NFL games and so forth.

Why aren't those fans avoiding the games and just watching on telly? 

Here in the US most Ice Hockey, American Football and Baseball games are shown live.

However, there are a couple of caveats.

First, there are blackouts. So if you live within a certain radius (20 or 30 miles) the local TV channels often aren't allowed to broadcast the game live. So if you are a local who wants to see the game you need to buy a ticket.

The second option is the sell-out clause. This requires a game to have sold a minimum percentage of their capacity (typically 90% or more) before the game can be broadcast live. This isn't a big deal for clubs in New York, Chicago etc. but it presents challenges for some teams to the extent they end up giving away thousands of tickets to schools, colleges, veterans associations etc. to bump up their number. End result is that you get full stadiums for live games that are being broadcast.

Would be interesting to see some actual formal analysis on it all rather than some (oddly) angry sounding message board posts from some on here.

I'm in the camp that it wouldn't change my match going behaviour if all games were streamed.

I'd still get my season ticket and go to the games and I'd still go to the away games I usually go to.  I like going to the live games and that wont change.

I tend to miss a couple of home games due to being away in holiday and stuff like that and have 'sourced' ways to watch the games live. I'd happily pay to do that legally.

My away game attendance has declined a lot over the last 10 years or so for a number reasons. But if I could legally buy a pay per view away match for the ones I generally dont go to...I probably would too. 

• Like 1

I think the issue here is that this moves us to a Spanish type of model, where teams negotiate their own TV deals. 

Sky, or any other broadcasters, wont consent to clubs doing their own streaming long term so we'd see a removal of any TV deals to finance the game. Each club would, I assume, sell it's own streams with cup games split as gate receipts are now. So are the club going to develop their own production or subcontract it out? Are they going to pay the company producing the content and broadcasting it  a fee and keep the streaming revenue or are they going to sell the rights to produce our streams for a certain fee and the company producing it takes the stream revenue?

TV hasn't been great for Scottish football but I don't see the transition away from it being any better.

36 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I think the issue here is that this moves us to a Spanish type of model, where teams negotiate their own TV deals. 

Sky, or any other broadcasters, wont consent to clubs doing their own streaming long term so we'd see a removal of any TV deals to finance the game. Each club would, I assume, sell it's own streams with cup games split as gate receipts are now. So are the club going to develop their own production or subcontract it out? Are they going to pay the company producing the content and broadcasting it  a fee and keep the streaming revenue or are they going to sell the rights to produce our streams for a certain fee and the company producing it takes the stream revenue?

TV hasn't been great for Scottish football but I don't see the transition away from it being any better.

Sky are only interested in the ugly sisters games and only show other games because they have to as part of the deal. I am sure they would love to only negotiate with those 2, to save all the pretend interest in the other clubs.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Sky are only interested in the ugly sisters games and only show other games because they have to as part of the deal. I am sure they would love to only negotiate with those 2, to save all the pretend interest in the other clubs.

And that's why the domestic streaming option won't work as the ugly sisters will be the only ones likely to make money from ditching Sky and broadcasting their own games.  And Sky don't want to lose them.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The 34 matchdays without the Old Firm playing each other would make that tricky. 

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

There are two NHL teams in Ontario which has a population of 15 million. Metro Toronto has a population of over 6 million. The Maple Leafs get average crowds of 20,000.

It's a stupid comparison. 

Only a complete fucking moron would think I'm comparing Motherwell to Toronto.

I'm more thinking about the idea that it's up to clubs and the league in general to make actually going to the football something that is more attractive than just sitting in the house with a stream on your laptop.

There's a reason why people choose to go to baseball or ice hockey rather than watch it at home, and it's because they are treated to a great day or evening out. It's an experience that far surpasses watching it at home on the telly.

That we have fans who'd so readily rather stay home and watch a stream than go to a game tells you a lot about the state our game is in.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

First, there are blackouts. So if you live within a certain radius (20 or 30 miles) the local TV channels often aren't allowed to broadcast the game live. So if you are a local who wants to see the game you need to buy a ticket.

I was living literally right next to the Air Canada Center and could watch games live on Sportsnet. Both hockey and baseball.

45 minutes ago, David said:

I was living literally right next to the Air Canada Center and could watch games live on Sportsnet. Both hockey and baseball.

Were they sell outs? If so, see my 2nd point above.

I can watch Jets, Giants and Patriots games while living in the blackout region because they meet the clause that requires 90%+ of their seats being sold.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

The 34 matchdays without the Old Firm playing each other would make that tricky. 

Nah they would cover every game they play home or away as its only those two they make money from, nobody subscribes to sky sports to watch Hamilton play Ross county

24 minutes ago, SuperSteelman said:

How does the streaming work, is there and app or is it YouTube or something like that. Could it be airplayed to my Apple TV without losing quality. Fuck watching the season on a 15" laptop.

It's on the website: https://tv.motherwellfc.co.uk

I normally use an Android set top box plugged into my telly to watch it.

I watch it in the browser on my fire stick. The only issue I have is my crappy rural broadband.

Interesting that they're advertising that you get all of the games this year, when last year we couldn't get rangers, st Mirren, accies and livi away. Slightly higher price, but still pretty good.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:34 PM, weeyin said:

Were they sell outs? If so, see my 2nd point above.

I can watch Jets, Giants and Patriots games while living in the blackout region because they meet the clause that requires 90%+ of their seats being sold.

Blackouts still happen.  In a 82 game season, there are 26 games that are not shown on Sportsnet here. The other 56 Toronto games get shown (16 regional + 40 national).  And if you live outside of the region for each team - you only get to see their games that are classes as national game.

Just looking at options and can't say it's crystal clear. Does anyone know:-

Is the existing streaming service being discontinued (I think this gave you most league games home and away and home cup games?)

If you buy an overseas season ticket does this give you ground entry if games come back and you are back home?

Last season a few away grounds were excluded so presume they aren't any more?

Can you pay per view for cup games?

I followed the link and all that appears is the audio option, do you have to Subscribe first then they contact you?

24 minutes ago, claretband said:

Just looking at options and can't say it's crystal clear. Does anyone know:-

Is the existing streaming service being discontinued (I think this gave you most league games home and away and home cup games?)

If you buy an overseas season ticket does this give you ground entry if games come back and you are back home?

Last season a few away grounds were excluded so presume they aren't any more?

Can you pay per view for cup games?

I followed the link and all that appears is the audio option, do you have to Subscribe first then they contact you?

The short version is if you want to see video streams in the UK you need to be a regular season ticket holder and you will receive a code and full instructions on how to gain access.

The long version is that there  are 3 options. Two are just continuation of the options available last season and one is the temporary option for season ticket holders this season.

1) Overseas fans can buy access to stream all available home and away games. This does not include ground entry if you are back home. (Same as last season)

2) UK and Ireland based fans can buy access to stream all available Audio Only home and away games. This does not include ground entry if you are back home. (Same as last season).

3) Season Ticket holders will be granted temporary access to stream home games within the UK while the closed-door restriction is in place. This access will be revoked once the closed-door restrictions are removed. (At this point nobody knows if away games will be an option to stream, but right now it appears not).

If you are UK  based, the way to obtain video streaming access is to buy a ground-access season ticket. You will then be sent a code.

If you are UK based and want to buy Audio Only access, then you can sign up and pay for that any time.

This probably sounds a lot more complicated than it is.