Pre-Season 2020'21

supermarv

I can't for the life of me understand why we'd arrange these as our pre-season friendlies.

I mean, yeah it's pre-season and all about fitness and the result doesn't matter, but surely thinking that getting your arse handed to you by the Old Firm under any circumstances, and the fallout we have to put up with as a result, will do anything other than send the fans into the season in a rotten mood, is massively naive?

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

I can't for the life of me understand why we'd arrange these as our pre-season friendlies.

I mean, yeah it's pre-season and all about fitness and the result doesn't matter, but surely thinking that getting your arse handed to you by the Old Firm under any circumstances, and the fallout we have to put up with as a result, will do anything other than send the fans into the season in a rotten mood, is massively naive?

There is no one else to play other than the other teams in our league. 

Hard to arrange anything else, travel restrictions were still in place until last week and lower league clubs aren't back in training yet so you're left with other SPL clubs.  Rangers and Celtic will be able to play more games due to the bigger squads and budgets for travel etc.

We shouldn't bother showing pre-season games as it gives fans the wrong idea that it's anything other than a kick about, but I can see why they did it to test the streaming plan for season ticket holders.

6 minutes ago, steelboy said:

There is no one else to play other than the other teams in our league. 

Yeah we're obviously limited in that respect, but I think I'd be doing everything I could to avoid creating a "ahh ffs" air amongst the fans if we're hoping to start the season well. Not saying for a second that we wouldn't lose in friendlies against anyone else, but I also don't have to suffer a week of laughing emojis, gifs and memes on my phone for a week after we lose to anyone else.

I'd be going out of my way to create a feel-good factor...or at least avoid a feel-shite factor, just a bit counter-productive if we're hoping for a strong start I think, that's all.

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Yeah we're obviously limited in that respect, but I think I'd be doing everything I could to avoid creating a "ahh ffs" air amongst the fans if we're hoping to start the season well. Not saying for a second that we wouldn't lose in friendlies against anyone else, but I also don't have to suffer a week of laughing emojis, gifs and memes on my phone for a week after we lose to anyone else.

I'd be going out of my way to create a feel-good factor...or at least avoid a feel-shite factor, just a bit counter-productive if we're hoping for a strong start I think, that's all.

Better to get gubbed by the Old Firm than Hibs or Aberdeen imo. 

Our defence looks minging here. 

5 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Hard to arrange anything else, travel restrictions were still in place until last week and lower league clubs aren't back in training yet so you're left with other SPL clubs.  Rangers and Celtic will be able to play more games due to the bigger squads and budgets for travel etc.

We shouldn't bother showing pre-season games as it gives fans the wrong idea that it's anything other than a kick about, but I can see why they did it to test the streaming plan for season ticket holders.

Oh i'm fully aware that it's a fitness and shape exercise, but OF fans don't care about that and a week of "hilarious whatsapps" before the season has even started, isn't likely to get me buzzing for it.

1 minute ago, Al B said:

I'd be going out of my way to create a feel-good factor...or at least avoid a feel-shite factor, just a bit counter-productive I think, that's all.

My feelings are similar. On the bright side, I was a bit concerned that people were feeling too confident ahead of the new season on the basis our business looked alright on paper.

Overconfidence shouldn't be  a  problem now...

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

People really should not take friendlies too seriously though.

6 minutes ago, Al B said:

I would change my friends 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

People really should not take friendlies too seriously though.

Good luck in your mission to instil rational thinking in Old Firm fans. Surely no-one has tried that yet so let us know how you get on.

• Andy_P unlocked this topic