Pre-Season 2020'21

supermarv

1 hour ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

Very early in season but MCginnley is no full back, Polworth looks like he is carrying a bag of coal, White is shite, Missed Gallagher at start. All in all very poor.

Hahaha away tae yer bed, its pre season get a grip.

Edited by Jack

Good and honest assessment from the gaffer on Twitter. 

Rangers have played 4 x 90 Minutes and we have played 2 x45 minutes. 

We don’t have the Betfred games to bed us in where we tend to dominate and win comfortably but probably learn very little. 

We have opted to play Rangers twice and Celtic once in pre season. Will be a hard test but also a better barometer of where we need to get to by start of the season. 

Not going to p1ss my pants on one pre season game v Rangers. Unlike some on here. Like Groundhog Day sometimes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Defence is probably the area that’s going to be up for scrutiny the most. We definitely need big  Dec to stay fit and playing. I like Carroll but he looks way off as does Dunn. Without the last two we could struggle unless the likes of Lamie and McGinn get up to speed pretty quickly. Other than that we are looking at Donnelly playing centre half and the young players stepping up to the mark. Personally I would still like to see us strengthen that area but I guess it’s down to the budget.

A fair assessment. Rangers looked to be a fortnight ahead of us fitness wise and their superior work rate when not in possession was very telling. On paper we look to be very strong in central midfield and up front but I'm not sure about our defence especially our 2 full/wing backs. Our defensive midfield, will also need to get up to speed and quickly. Worrying though that when big Deccy is out Donnelly has to revert to central defence - not his best position in my view. 

More gametime for the players and the result, although pretty meaningless will help our ongoing preparation. We shouldn't forget too though that many of the players haven't played together very much - it showed. Maybe some of our younger lads will be thinking they have a chance to step up this season. 

37 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Good and honest assessment from the gaffer on Twitter. 

Rangers have played 4 x 90 Minutes and we have played 2 x45 minutes. 

We don’t have the Betfred games to bed us in where we tend to dominate and win comfortably but probably learn very little. 

We have opted to play Rangers twice and Celtic once in pre season. Will be a hard test but also a better barometer of where we need to get to by start of the season. 

Not going to p1ss my pants on one pre season game v Rangers. Unlike some on here. Like Groundhog Day sometimes. 

Eh Rangers twice? Are we playing them again?  

Who the fuck thought three utter slaughters was the best way to go into a season? Fucking shambolic that

Ok Polworth isnt perfect, but jesus fuck some of you are hilarious. So he scores 3 goals & has 15 assists and is 90% pish? Therefore if he was only 50% pish he would be expected to be getting us 15 goals & 75 assists? Jesus fuck

Poly is the "playmaker" playing generally beside 2 others who do the dog work. For a team like Motherwell, its that kind of player, or 3 cloggers in the middle of the park and we lose 10-12 of those assists! We cant fucking afford players who will be great 70-80% of the time, because those players are playing at a far higher level than Motherwell Fc!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Shaka said:

Eh Rangers twice? Are we playing them again?  

Who the fuck thought three utter slaughters was the best way to go into a season? Fucking shambolic that

Better getting the slaughter out of the way just now rather than when the season is up and running 

12 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Just watched Donnelly’s interview which didn’t fill me the confidence, reminded me of Rev I.M. Jolly, come on it was just a friendly and it just tells us the gap between Old Firm and the rest of the teams in the league is getting bigger.

Does that come as much of a surprise ? 

Celtic got spanked by 4 off PSG midweek and the facts are that the gap between Motherwell and Celtic in terms of resources is bigger than the gap between PSG and Celtic. The old firm pay average wages of between £400-£700k per annum and we pay circa £45k per annum. 

Why is anyone surprised when we lose by 3 or 4 goals to the Old firm. I am not saying like it. I am just saying it is not unexpected. That plus Rangers had more game time v better opposition meant we had the 1st half we got last night. 

Of more importance is I hope the club acknowledge the clusterfuck that was the streaming service last night. Not being able to access the game until the 2nd half was a blessing but bloody annoying !

55 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Never saw the game due to the debacle of the feed, but I see in the Sun report that McGinley was substituted by a trialist any idea who this was?

No trialists last night, in fact I'm pretty sure McGinley played the full game.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Does that come as much of a surprise ? 

Celtic got spanked by 4 off PSG midweek and the facts are that the gap between Motherwell and Celtic in terms of resources is bigger than the gap between PSG and Celtic. The old firm pay average wages of between £400-£700k per annum and we pay circa £45k per annum. 

Why is anyone surprised when we lose by 3 or 4 goals to the Old firm. I am not saying like it. I am just saying it is not unexpected. That plus Rangers had more game time v better opposition meant we had the 1st half we got last night. 

Of more importance is I hope the club acknowledge the clusterfuck that was the streaming service last night. Not being able to access the game until the 2nd half was a blessing but bloody annoying !

Based on your calculations Hamilton should be getting beaten 6 or 7 nil, but they managed a victory at Ibrox This year more than we can achieve!

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Never saw the game due to the debacle of the feed, but I see in the Sun report that McGinley was substituted by a trialist any idea who this was?

1 hour ago, SCDave said:

No trialists last night, in fact I'm pretty sure McGinley played the full game.

This confusion perhaps stems from the team-sheet Rangers issued. The commentator Rory Hamilton tweeted an image of the team-sheet which had trialist in brackets after McGinley's name.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Just watched Donnelly’s interview which didn’t fill me the confidence, reminded me of Rev I.M. Jolly, come on it was just a friendly and it just tells us the gap between Old Firm and the rest of the teams in the league is getting bigger.

I struggle to watch Donnelly's interviews as my eyes are constantly drawn to the ginger beard and black hair contradiction.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Based on your calculations Hamilton should be getting beaten 6 or 7 nil, but they managed a victory at Ibrox This year more than we can achieve!

Accies aren't exactly the best example of 'how not to get pumped by Rangers'....

Su 06Oct 2019    Rangers    5 - 0    Hamilton

Su 24Feb 2019    Hamilton    0 - 5    Rangers  

Sa 18Mar 2017   Rangers    4 - 0    Hamilton

Sa 04Mar 2017 Rangers 6 - 0 Hamilton

Sa 15Jan 2011   Rangers    4 - 0    Hamilton

Su 08Mar 2009   Rangers    5 - 1    Hamilton

Sa 06Dec 2008    Rangers    7 - 1    Hamilton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Was it that long ago that we beat Rangers 6-1 over 2 legs when they had a more comparable but still bigger budget. 

As COF mentions every dog has it day but more often than not most sides will be comfortably beaten by the Old firm as they have much bigger budgets and therefore better players. 

This place is so predictible.....

1. You dont prepare for European football by playing lower league teams.

2. Rangers are ahead of us in terms of preparation.

3. They generally have better players than us anyway.

4. We are bedding in some new players which will take time.

5. Some of our existing flaws and weaknesses were once again exposed. The management team arent stupid. They see these things too.

Lets all just chill out and accept last night for the lesson that it ultimately was. We still have much work to do to be ready for the start of the season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

This place is so predictible.....

1. You dont prepare for European football by playing lower league teams.

2. Rangers are ahead of us in terms of preparation.

3. They generally have better players than us anyway.

4. We are bedding in some new players which will take time.

5. Some of our existing flaws and weaknesses were once again exposed. The management team arent stupid. They see these things too.

Lets all just chill out and accept last night for the lesson that it ultimately was. We still have much work to do to be ready for the start of the season.

Sadly it feels like Groundhog Day at times on here, I find it astounding that new players can be written off after 45 minutes. I just wish some would give players time to get up to speed and bed in. We played a team last night way ahead of us game time wise so yes we looked sluggish. I get that 4-0 looks poor but get a grip it’s a bloody friendly fitness session. If we lose 4-0 to Ross county in a game that matters then I will start to worry.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Can I ask a question? I've seen lots on here about how Rangers are ahead of us in terms of preparation. Given we both start the league on the same weekend, why is this the case? 

I think it's how we've chosen to structure friendlies. 

They'd played Accies, Lyon and Nice before last night and played a settled in 11 in both games in France - more like a competitive game. We'd played Dundee United and Kilmarnock and played more or less a different in 11 in each half of those games, so more of a bounce game. 

Can only assume SR was talking about intensity of the games and consistency of the 11. 

49 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Can I ask a question? I've seen lots on here about how Rangers are ahead of us in terms of preparation. Given we both start the league on the same weekend, why is this the case? 

Probably because we are not glamorous enough to be invited to play in a tournament in France v Lyon etc

That and a global pandemic means we are restricted in our options 

22 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Probably because we are not glamorous enough to be invited to play in a tournament in France v Lyon etc

That and a global pandemic means we are restricted in our options 

Irrespective of opposition, pretty sure we could have arranged more games than we have so far. If the club feels that it's a better approach to play two games this weekend and one next midweek then that's fine. But to simply say 'Rangers are further ahead in their preparations' makes it sound like we are behind schedule...

• Like 1

• Andy_P unlocked this topic