Pre-Season 2020'21

supermarv

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

So it sounds like the private lab the SPFL have organised are cowboys. 

What a surprise. Doncaster earning his 8 grand a week again.  

I thought each club was responsible for their own tests. So the Lab used is down to Motherwell. .....or St Mirren in that positive/negative nonsense. Some Clubs have even bought their own test equipment rather than relying on outside firms. . I’m not so sure Doncaster is guilty this time. 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Failing to deliver results on time on multiple occasions leading to postponement and rescheduling and giving St Mirren 7 false positives.

The nuances of the accuracy of current testing methods combined with the evolving understanding of the virus itself are a highly complex topic that is taxing the minds of many brilliant statisticians and virologists. So well done for figuring out so quickly that 7 false positives must be statistically significant.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Failing to deliver results on time on multiple occasions leading to postponement and rescheduling and giving St Mirren 7 false positives.

So you have absolutely nothing to indicate the labs failed in anyway

A cluster of false positives from one Live sample , unlikely to be anything to do with the lab, most likely the 7 samples processed in the lab were positive, the cross contamination happening before the lab  received  them.

we could all speculate where, but I doubt doncaster did it..

and who says the lab delivered results late? What is the service level agreement on the  testing and delivery of results?

none of us know, but I’d speculate the labs are meeting the timelines,  It all reads like the  clubs aren’t allowing enough time for all the time variables if they stack up

now can you get back to criticising the players and formation,  if you don’t point it out it’ll be months before Robinson resorts to  4-4-2 to plug the leaks at fullback 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

The nuances of the accuracy of current testing methods combined with the evolving understanding of the virus itself are a highly complex topic that is taxing the minds of many brilliant statisticians and virologists. So well done for figuring out so quickly that 7 false positives must be statistically significant.

Absolutely. Its all too easy to blame Nicola Sturgeon/Boris Johnson, testing labs et al but it is a complex and evolving situation where even the so called medical and scientific experts don't agree. It might be the labs' fault it might not we just don't know. No party be it be MFC, the "Government" or NHS should be above scrutiny.       

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I agree with your point that we can't really blame Doncaster for this, but Doncaster's an absolute fucking clown and the sooner we get him to utter fuck the better.

The SPFL need a front man, someone to explain their decisions and take the flack in return, if it isn’t Doncaster it will be someone like him, someone willing to take the criticism for decisions he has not made in return for a sizeable salary.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ropy said:

The SPFL need a front man, someone to explain their decisions and take the flack in return, if it isn’t Doncaster it will be someone like him, someone willing to take the criticism for decisions he has not made in return for a sizeable salary.

It's not taking the flack that's the issue, it's the commercial side of the business where the game needs to be promoted and the sponsors need to be enticed. Doncaster was the one who instead of bigging up our game - which is his job - kept saying we were lucky to get what we had because our game wasn't very good.

Barry Hearn nailed it 6 years ago, and we've done nothing about it since then. The game needs someone like him to be promoting and expanding.

The former Leyton Orient chairman, left, later made some damning assertions, saying the lack of a title sponsor for the Scottish Premiership was “disgraceful”.

“There is so much good in Scottish football, so many positive things to say but you don’t sell yourself,” said Hearn. “I am saying you have to get yourself out there. You don’t do enough for yourself.”

And in a statement which should make uncomfortable listening for SPFL chief Neil Doncaster, Hearn added: “I am seeing too much self-pity. That’s what the world thinks of Scottish football and that should be the most worrying aspect. Be proud of yourself. Don’t be a secret.

“If you don’t believe in yourself how can other people believe in you?

“The fact that the Premiership has not got a sponsor is not good. If you worked for me you would be sacked.”

The founder and chair of Matchroom Sport, with 40 years’ experience in snooker, boxing and darts, claimed Scottish football has been “terribly lazy” in marketing the game.

“You have done nowhere near enough,” said Hearn, who also called for the sale of alcohol at football stadia to return.

“You have been in the shadow of the English Premier League and you have almost given up.

“Your image is not good because it is a defeatist image. The blazers are not doing the job properly.

“It’s not just the level of football. Two donkeys make a great race. You don’t have to be the best in the world to be entertaining. I put on fights that are not good sometimes, but they’re entertaining. On Saturday, I’ve got eight lightweights. None will win the world title, but they’ll all be brilliant fights because they’ll be kids going for it and everyone will go home happy.”

• Like 1

Based on our pre season games, the team haven’t filled me with confidence for the season ahead, I realise that they are “friendlies” and these games are used to get match fitness for the squad, but the way we are leaking goals is a worry, as the late great Brian Clough said if you want to win games you start by not letting In goals, in other words a good solid defence, which we appear not to have as we are making basic simple mistakes plus I think some of the players in the defence are either not listening to our coaching staff as they seem to be a bit disorganised, this is only based on a few video clips and match reports that I have seen which to be fair doesn’t make me qualify to mention these negatives rather than criticism , I am confident that SR will have the defence sorted out eventually, but very important that we can take something from our game in Dingwall on Monday night.

56 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Based on our pre season games, the team haven’t filled me with confidence for the season ahead, I realise that they are “friendlies” and these games are used to get match fitness for the squad, but the way we are leaking goals is a worry, as the late great Brian Clough said if you want to win games you start by not letting In goals, in other words a good solid defence, which we appear not to have as we are making basic simple mistakes plus I think some of the players in the defence are either not listening to our coaching staff as they seem to be a bit disorganised, this is only based on a few video clips and match reports that I have seen which to be fair doesn’t make me qualify to mention these negatives rather than criticism , I am confident that SR will have the defence sorted out eventually, but very important that we can take something from our game in Dingwall on Monday night.

Yes, early days and all that. We shouldn't read very much into pre season results but we seem to be losing a good few goals. Certainly, the defence has comprised a fair number of new lads who will take time settle so its all the more important that our midfield shields them as far as possible.  I think today's team will be pretty close to the one which starts at Dingwall.

We continue to lose goals due to not stopping delivery from wide areas. It was a weakness last season and continues to be so. Our full backs really need to get out quicker and stop these balls coming in, or at the very least put pressure on the player crossing to make their life more difficult. If the quality of ball in is allowed to be good, its obvious its going to hurt us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We continue to lose goals due to not stopping delivery from wide areas. It was a weakness last season and continues to be so.

This has frustrated me for years.

Same with surrendering possession chaply at throw-ins - players making only token effort to show for tgh ball.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We continue to lose goals due to not stopping delivery from wide areas. It was a weakness last season and continues to be so. Our full backs really need to get out quicker and stop these balls coming in, or at the very least put pressure on the player crossing to make their life more difficult. If the quality of ball in is allowed to be good, its obvious its going to hurt us.

Ditto. This has frustrated me for years. I'm no football manger or tactician so don't know the reason for this. Its been the same under several managers and involved many full/wing backs. Is it a weakness of our full backs or are they asked to play this way? Just looking back to the brief spells of the Rangers game that I was able to see on Wednesday it was notable that on one occasion when our wide man was in possession near the corner flag he was closed down by 3 defenders and lost the ball. Now, on the night, that may have been down to the fact that Rangers were far fitter and/or have much quicker players than we do.  However it happened freqently last season against all levels of opposition. Even when defending in depth we play very narrowly. If we're going to play like that then you have be very certain indeed that your defenders and keeper will gobble up crosses. Unfortunatley they haven't been, maybe for good reason. 

12 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I also think we will miss Gillespie, Carson is a very solid keeper but Gillespie was outstanding last season. Carroll is also a big miss, one of better signings over the last few years in my view and improving before his injury. As mentioned before we really need Gallagher to stay fit, he’s absolutely pivotal at the back. Other than that McGinn and Lamie need time to settle in. I honestly don’t see a problem up front and if we have anything left in the kitty I would prefer it spent strengthening at the back.