Pre-Season 2020'21

supermarv

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We continue to lose goals due to not stopping delivery from wide areas. It was a weakness last season and continues to be so. Our full backs really need to get out quicker and stop these balls coming in, or at the very least put pressure on the player crossing to make their life more difficult. If the quality of ball in is allowed to be good, its obvious its going to hurt us.

And we continue to score goals by making lots of deliveries from wide areas. Which suggests to me that, in the modern game, that is an are that is difficult to defend. When Tait was at his peak with us he had the most assists in the Premiership.

If you were to put a list together of the world's best full backs right now, not many of them would be on there for their defensive skills. Just look at Liverpool - they have 2 full backs that bomb up and down the wings, but can be questionable when put under a bit of defensive pressure. They countered that by paying about £150 million for Van Dijk and Allison to deal with the crosses that come in, but I doubt most teams can afford that.

It's something that has made me scratch my head for a number of years now, but it seems to be a key part of football these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And we continue to score goals by making lots of deliveries from wide areas. Which suggests to me that, in the modern game, that is an are that is difficult to defend. When Tait was at his peak with us he had the most assists in the Premiership.

If you were to put a list together of the world's best full backs right now, not many of them would be on there for their defensive skills. Just look at Liverpool - they have 2 full backs that bomb up and down the wings, but can be questionable when put under a bit of defensive pressure. They countered that by paying about £150 million for Van Dijk and Allison to deal with the crosses that come in, but I doubt most teams can afford that.

It's something that has made me scratch my head for a number of years now, but it seems to be a key part of football these days.

Yep the full back roll has really changed, look at Carroll as an example. The game as a whole is all about athleticism, speed, never having a moment on the ball, players are closed down so quickly. The days of those old match of the day programmes in the 1970 where players had time to put there foot on the ball and pick a pass are long gone. 

Just now, Yorkyred said:

Yep the full back roll has really changed, look at Carroll as an example. The game as a whole is all about athleticism, speed, never having a moment on the ball, players are closed down so quickly. The days of those old match of the day programmes in the 1970 where players had time to put there foot on the ball and pick a pass are long gone. 

When I played full back I was taught never to cross the half way line. Although that might have been because I wasn't very good.

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

When I played full back I was taught never to cross the half way line. Although that might have been because I wasn't very good.

I just never got picked in the first place.

50 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I see Turnbull only got 45 minutes again yesterday. A sign that he still has injury issues?

I did wonder about that. Probably a few of our lads have not yet played a full 90 mins. Not normally an issue but our first league game is in just over a weeks’ time. Still Robby & Keith will know best. 

54 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Did we not have another game scheduled for today? I thought I heard chat about a Tuesday game, but haven't really been keeping up since the reshuffle that brought Accies into the mix at the weekend.

Aye I thought we were playing Sevco again ?