Season 2020'21: Game 1 Ross County (A)

GazzyB

6 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Didn’t think Lamie was that bad tbh

Yep both Lamie and McGinley were fine overall. Early days for them but encouraging signs. The problems were in front of them tonight along with a baffling starting line up trying to shoehorn too many midfielders in, pick one or the other and play with two natural wide men. I’m pretty sure we will never see Turnbull out wide again in a Motherwell shirt.

It was a shocking performance, however some of the comments are way over the top. Making judgemental comments about new player’s after 45 or 90 minutes is pointless.  Polworth made more chances than any other player in the Premiership last season yet he’s being unfairly criticised after one game. If they’re playing as poorly after 6 games then I’ll judge, but having watched the ‘Well for decades I know to have patience and to trust the manager, especially the current one. This is a team led by a damn good manager who finished in 3rd place last season. Calm down guys. 

• Like 5

The penalty we gave away was plain stupid, then missing ours was worse. 

We looked better with Seedorf on the right, and should have scored a few times, particularly Lang’s effort which looked harder to miss. Long should have put his chance away too. We looked the better team after they scored, but that was probably because they knew the job was done.

Grimshaw had a terrible game, and so did Robinson. McGinley looks to have some pace  and improved as the game went on, and Lamie looked fine. Lang looked decent until the misses, and I didn’t see the red card.  Hastie was poor as well.

Their managers hair should cost them points. 

I’m expecting this coming Saturday to be much better. Lot of “easy” fixes. However while we might play better on Saturday, will we score? Despite the poor performance tonight we missed 3 gilt edged chances where we should have scored,  long hit the post, Donnelly penalty and Lang header. Let’s hope the roller coaster ride goes the good way from now on. COYW

I remember when pre season was about being beasted with fitness work and working on your team shape. Robbo wanted the plaudits for how early we did our recruitment, what was the fucking point when we clearly did nothing but fanny around for a few weeks playing at being professional footballers?

Donnelly should be pinned to the dressing room wall by that stupid fucking beard for that pen miss. Hastie got schooled by an 18yo kid making his debut, who in turn was utterly roasted by Sherwin Seedorf!!! Grimshaw should be in the stans for the forseeable

From saturday, the team has to be

Carson

Donnelly, Declan, Lamie, McGinlay

O'Hara, Campbell, Turnbull

Seedorf, Watt, Hastie

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Well what a disappointing night. First half was awful, second best by a mile with little energy. No idea what Robinson had in his head putting Turnbull out wide, frankly a ludicrous decision given his experience as a manager, it backfired badly. We had nothing coming in from the flanks with the Ross County full back having Hastie in his pocket. Grimmy has an absolute mare doing nothing right l, could not even find a Motherwell player from a throw in. Far better second half which should have seen us gain a point. Terrible penalty although in my view slightly soft anyway.  There were however some positives with Seedorf surprisingly being one of them, not his biggest fan but I can’t deny he was effective. Lang will end up been an excellent signing, should not have been a red card. McGinley got better as the game went on and I thought Lamie did ok. 

Some ridiculous over reaction by many Motherwell fans tonight. To listen to Kris Boyd and some of our fans you'd think RC had us on the rack. Other than one effort early on the caused us no problems.  We did enough in that game to win it as pedestrian as we were.  If we have 60% possession in most of our games we will win more than we lose. The over reaction to the defeat is because tonight was so typically Motherwell they build us up then we can't deliver when expectation is there. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Some ridiculous over reaction by many Motherwell fans tonight. To listen to Kris Boyd and some of our fans you'd think RC had us on the rack. Other than one effort early on the caused us no problems.  We did enough in that game to win it as pedestrian as we were.  If we have 60% possession in most of our games we will win more than we lose. The over reaction to the defeat is because tonight was so typically Motherwell they build us up then we can't deliver when expectation is there. 

Kris Boyd is a bawbag of the highest proportions. 
Thought the defence was fine Gallachers clumsy challenge aside. He defo gets the ball but also the man and it looked all the world a penalty. Was impressed by McGinley. Lamie also had a decent competitive debut. 
We were OK second half and should have taken something from the game. 
Grimmy. Where to start. How is it possible to keep giving throw ins straight to the opposition.  Basic stuff. 
Turnbull needs to be central and Campbell should start. Would be tempted to try Donnelly or someone else at right back. 
Not the start we wanted but it is the Motherwell way. 

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

People going on about our throw ins. Cant be easy for the thrower if nobody moves and shows for the ball. Motherwell have been like this forever...

Gardyne overreaction again to get a player sent off. Booking yes for a professional foul. But never serious or dangerous play. Hope we appeal it but given we aint the old firm it wont be overturned.

Dead on with the throw in comment.

A disappointing but, not entirely, unexpected start to the new campaign. I was a bit surprised by the amount of pre game optimism but thats a new season for you.

Like many I was surprised by the formation and team line up both in midfield and up front. Surprised that Campbell didn't feature and am looking forward to an explanation for that. I can only assume that we badly underestimated Ross County beforehand by selecting both Turnbull and Polworth. Turnbull out wide??? Long and 2 wingers???? If we play Long he needs to play alongside someone like Watt or White. I thought we'd learnt that lesson last season but obviously not.  Likewise, although I'm a big fan of Polworth, a corner kick taker he isn't  as he proved last season. If you try something and it doesn't work don't be surprised if you try it again and it still doesn't work.

Tonight was one of those games that was lost before kick off. The best you can hope for is no red cards and no bad injuries and we almost achieved that. In a season you get games like this - in our case it was the first one. On paper we have a good squad but we need to play to its strengths. Most things can be rectified but I still have fears about our defence, especially right back.  We do have options there lets use them early on to tease out the best solution. McGinley did ok at left back.

We go again on Saturday and must be prepared to win a battle first before we can bring the squad's undoubted talents to bear on the proceedings. We should be under no illusions, United will be formidable opponents. 

The midfield situation reminds me of the year Vigurs and Lawson arrived. The resources were plentiful but McCall could not find the balance in the team. It made the squad seem somehow lop-sided. 

I can understand the issue. To leave Turnbull or Polworth on the bench seems like a luxury, a team like Motherwell can not afford so the desire to play them both is understandable.  Campbell on the bench also seems like a waste of resource. The challenge of a strong squad for the manager is that tough decisions have to be made. 

Will be interesting to see who is ultimately favoured and how they are deployed. It is a good headache to have but I wonder if it comes as a result of the fact that Turnbull was not supposed to be with us. Robinson will earn is salt working out the best combination. 

Morning all my first Motherwell game watched last night well most of it my stream failed last fifteen minutes! The result was obviously a disappointment but as a newbe I enjoyed the game and for what it's worth this is my assessment,

The negatives we started very slowly for first fifteen minutes we were pedestrian Ross County were pinging the ball around us, The penalty having seen it several times I am convinced Gallagher did touch the ball before taking their forward down from the referees view point it was a clumsy challenge and awarded the penalty which was  well put away giving Carson no chance. At this stage of the game we looked misshapen especially at the back with no pace to counter Ross Counties left winger in particular 

The not so negatives after the goal we then started to improved while Ross County sat back we clawed ourselves back into the game not pretty to watch but 60% poccesion says domination away from home.

The positives Carson one increabable save from an almost point blank range kept us in the game as this early stage but then the penalty which gave Carson no chance that said overall very assured with hands and feet 

Donnelly in particular stood out playing some great defence splitting passes that deserved better but let down by his penalty miss

Last fifteen minutes my comments are based only on post game highlights Lang and Seedorf completly changed the balance of the game total domination on another day we walk away 1-2 winners as the manager said you win games by putting those chances away. 

The Lang sending off was very clumsy unessasary it was only just over the half way line and the player still had a wall of Motherwell players in front of him, no idea why Lang made the challenge Which deserved a clumsy yellow not a stright violent conduct red.

Never mind we move on its a marathon not a sprint early days let's see where we are after the magical 10 game mark and be not to damming after just the one game.

• Like 2

It's the first game. Plenty of time to iron out the creases. Should we and could we have won last night? Probably. County scored and then tried to see the game out for an hour, putting everyone in two banks of defence, making it difficult to unpick through the middle.

Hastie didn't look interested in beating his man for much of the first half, but glad to see that Seedorf did. McGinley made lots of positive runs down the left and put in some decent balls, the one for Whyte in particular. Long and Turnbull linked very well in first half and penalty aside, Gallagher and Lamie coped well with anything coming into them. Distribution from Dec was hit and miss. 

Donnelly's miss was as poor as you'll see and Grimshaw seemed like he had the wrong boots on. 

Carson did what he had to, Lang looks like he could be a handful and with quality delivery from either side, and better Polworth set pieces, Whyte could be a Sutton/Higdon type target man. 

I agree with the gaffer, that while the result is obviously at the forefront of everyone's minds, there were a few positive signs to be seen from the squad last night. The bar has been set for "worst" performance of the season so we can only improve from this point on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

Dead on with the throw in comment.

Does Grimmy need to take the throw ins, could he not be the duffer who receives the ball and plays it back to the thrower who could be a ball player, possibly straight out the park 50% of the time but that would be a higher retention rate than last night.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Hastie didn't look interested in beating his man for much of the first half

Hastie hit a 6 game purple patch that got him his big payday ( good luck to the boy for that ) he was then sent out on loan to England and couldn’t hold down a 1st team start.

He is so predictable any half decent full back will have him sussed ……… show him down the line and don’t let him cut inside on to his left peg and you nullify him

Seedorf roasted the young full back on the outside something Hastie was not capable of doing in the 1st half 

33 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Hastie hit a 6 game purple patch that got him his big payday ( good luck to the boy for that ) he was then sent out on loan to England and couldn’t hold down a 1st team start.

He is so predictable any half decent full back will have him sussed ……… show him down the line and don’t let him cut inside on to his left peg and you nullify him

Seedorf roasted the young full back on the outside something Hastie was not capable of doing in the 1st half 

Think I would like to see Hastie on the left and going past wthe defender then crossing into middle for Long ,Watt or White to get oportunities. An example of that was late in game when McGinley but in a great ball and White just failed to connect at back post. I certainly would try 2 up top  as we have the players to do it .

Such an anti climax, but there were some positives, Seedorf being the main one.

Carson and the defence done well enough, penalty aside. Nullified Ross county for the most part.

Lang looked bright when he came on, for me the Red card was harsh but he showed enough. He has to put that header away though.

Long got himself into some good positions in the first half but the second half he was non existent, Ross county just sat deeper and deeper with no space in behind.

Robinson tried to shoehorn Turnbull and Polworth into the same side which I think everyone could agree would be class, we now know it doesn't work and at least he changed it. I doubt we will see that again, thankfully. 

I had no faith in Donnelly hitting that penalty, that's him now missed the target with his last two so that's another thing we can tick off the list of ever seeing again, for me, it had to be Turnbull.

Performance wasn't great, Ross county looked much hungrier in the first 20 minutes and seemed to the extra running that we lacked, they seem to be quite street wise, which we don't . I suppose that comes with having an older squad. 

very very disappointing but not a complete disaster, hopefully we see two WINGERS on saturday, with a midfield involving Turnbull and Campbell.

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Seedorf got to play on his natural side for the first time ever under Robinson and actually looked like a footballer. 

Unless Hastie gets good passes from midfield into his stride he won't contribute playing on the right. I'd like to see him on the left. Get the inverted wingers shite binned. 

• Andy_P changed the title to Season 2020'21: Game 1 Ross County (A)