Season 2020'21: Game 2 Dundee Utd (H)

Andy_P

Another tactical fuck up by Robinson 

It was obvious from last season that Long cannot play up front between 2 wingers  but he’s got this thing about inverted wingers what ever they are.

We badly need 2 fullback who can get us up the pitch and Grimy and Lambie are not them 

Until Carroll is fit I would go with a back 3 

At least the midfield had a better balance about it 

Certainly what we were not expecting. 
Ross County look like they have improved and we should have had a draw

But that today was utter garbage. I normally look for positives but there were none other than Turnbull getting another game but he looks as if he has a long was to go. 

A defence with Mugabe and Grimshaw and we are surprised we concede goals. 

Up front Long and Watt looked a promising attack in but they have looked well off it. 

Early days but there is NO chance we are finishing top 6 unless we get our act together pronto 

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Jordan White looks extremely lower league. 

Scored a goal and won a penalty so far in his two cameos so has been effective to a point in the box , id be giving him a start ahead of the guy who he replaced today but as a disclosure i've never liked Long and wasnt pleased when he turned up again this season.

• Like 3

Just now, ML1 said:

Scored a goal and won a penalty so far in his two cameos so has been effective to a point in the box , id be giving him a start ahead of the guy who he replaced today but as a disclaimer i've never liked Long and wasnt pleased when he turned up again this season.

There’s a player in Long if you play to his strength ……… running the channels and putting the ball in behind 

NOt firing the ball at him and hoping for the best 

• Like 2

Just now, wellwell91 said:

There’s a player in Long if you play to his strength ……… running the channels and putting the ball in behind 

NOt firing the ball at him and hoping for the best 

Its all about opinions , to me he's like a Scott McDonald, without the talent or the goals

• Like 1

Anyone know why we employ a 'fitness coach' at all. Robert Mugabe would have been better on the park and he's deed. Why not play Barry McGuire and if Lammie is a Premier League standard left back or wherever he was playing then so am i. The phrase ''you could see that goal coming'' was never so true in that instance. 3 points needed midweek and hopefully we might get a clear LIVE FEED  as the sun will be setting :fie:

14 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Another tactical fuck up by Robinson 

It was obvious from last season that Long cannot play up front between 2 wingers  but he’s got this thing about inverted wingers what ever they are.

We badly need 2 fullback who can get us up the pitch and Grimy and Lambie are not them 

Until Carroll is fit I would go with a back 3 

At least the midfield had a better balance about it 

Whatever the st up , Grimshaw shouldn’t be in it .....

16 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

So far this season we've got 5 shots out of 33 on target.

Explains the two 0's I suppose....

Nothing new there on target  to shots off has been the same for a few years other teams at least get there shots on goal and take there chances we don't need a lot more shooting practice 

To be fair that is two games in a row now we have had 60% possession and high teens in shots. 
But we seem to be lacking confidence after only 2 games in. 
None of the players seem to be anywhere near the level they need to be at. 
Hopefully Lang can come in and kick on and not at players. 
We desperately need some creativity and finishing or it will be a long season ahead. 

As for the streaming - just adds up to a piss poor day all round 

Embarrassing to lose at home to a team that have been rattling about the championship for 4 seasons and weren’t even at full strength and yet probably won’t get an easier away win all season. Struggling to recall a more clueless start to season.  Utterly toothless and shambolic with a genuine clown show in defence.

what exactly have we been working on all summer?! 

9 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Well we got what we wanted Campbell on the park and turnbull central and somehow got much worse

Not sure I would blame those 2 for why we were much worse. Not even sure we were much worse. Possibly better in some respects for midfield. I think the manager has to work out how to get the best out of his forwards. Maybe we need to be a bit more attack minded at the risk of allowing more goals but actually start to score some ourselves.  For one he needs to give up on the inverted wingers for a while...it’s not working!!

Not ideal preparation losing both McGinley and Donnelly.  I don't think he was especially culpable today but whilst I'm not overly convinced about Donnelly at centre-half I think I'd still have a shade more confidence in him than Bevis. You know the opposition centre forward will get rattled by Donnelly for one thing and he's no stranger to starting moves from deep. But anyway... 

Happy enough seeing Hastie given another opportunity but if you were trying to revert to type from last season then perhaps Hylton should have got the nod over Seedorf, with us retaining him to potentially replicate his impact from the bench again. 

I thought the first half was a continuation of Monday night's second forty-five.  The better team. Loads of possession. Just not doing anything nearly enough with it and the few chances that were created were spurned. 

Unfortunately Hastie again didn't really show much and a change at that stage was reasonable at the break in the hope we could push on a bit in the second half. But I don't really know where this Watt on the left wing has come from.  I just don't see it.  I don't think it a coincidence that when he was in the box he got one of our few close things.  Ok, Hylton isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's got the odd goal from there, got a few assists too. I don't see what we gain from playing a penalty box striker wide when that option is available.

The lack of use of Polworth too was a puzzler.  I said after Monday as a starting point I think it's an ask to squeeze both Turnbull and Polworth  in without them trying to do the same job but to have him go from getting a full ninety minutes on Monday to not being used when you are crying out for people to make that defence splitting pass is again quite baffling. And as for the apparent step up in quality of deliveries we were going to get after the responsibilities were removed from him....

But going back to Watt though I do think he has to accept more than his fair share of blame for the goal.  Did the hard bit by taking possession, working himself to gain an extra bit of space for the clearance then messed up the easy part with a really weak ball right to a Dundee Utd player.  A decent ball across goal later...

But the second half in general was just really poor.  Lots of huffing and puffing with very little in the way of inspiration.  Utd were pretty comfortable.

Need to see White's "goal"again.  Didn't appear to be too much in it at first glance.  We'll see. 

You desperately hope we can get a win against Livi in midweek as the prospect of going to Easter Road looks fairly daunting at the current time given the respective starts.