Season 2020'21: Game 2 Dundee Utd (H)

Andy_P

6 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

In my view it’s way too early to state the recruitment has been poor this summer. I thought McGinn was one of the better players against Ross County and Lamie did ok. White looks like something different off the bench. I like OHara and think he will offer enough over the season and I believe Lang is going to be a fans favourite very quickly. A lot has been made of fitness but we’ve dominated possession and had plenty of chances on goal, we just can’t finish. On the age of the team i’m pretty sure we actually do have one of the youngest squads in the division.

That was more about the positions than actual players. Failing to replace Tait & Hartley means we dont have enough CD to play 3 at the back, and are stuck with the worst RB in the SPL as our only RB, and cant play wing backs. It limits our options! 

34 minutes ago, Shaka said:

That was more about the positions than actual players. Failing to replace Tait & Hartley means we dont have enough CD to play 3 at the back, and are stuck with the worst RB in the SPL as our only RB, and cant play wing backs. It limits our options! 

Agree re Grimmy but we've got Gallagher, McGinley, Lamie and Maguire for CD.

And don't forget Mugabi!

In hindsight think we went about pre season the wrong way

In normal times we would have had 2 teams playing different opposition with players getting 70 or 80 minutes in each game

From memory think there was only 1 game where players ( apart from Carson ) got any more than 45 minutes.

Should have had an idea os his best eleven and concentrated in getting game time into there legs

Having said that it was the same for everyone … … … but we look to be off the pace of the game in the 2 games to date ie.not sharp enough 

22 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yodel....what was favourite season as a well fan and how long have you been following them, cos if you don’t think Robinson has done a reasonable job , it’s not Motherwell you’ve been following.

Cup winning season been a Well fan for 50+ years and Robinsons teams have played some of the worst football I have seen at Fir Park . If you think he he has done well that's your opinion but can only think you have just started to attend Fir Park 

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Cup winning season been a Well fan for 50+ years and Robinsons teams have played some of the worst football I have seen at Fir Park . If you think he he has done well that's your opinion but can only think you have just started to attend Fir Park 

I've been going to Fir Park for 25 years and think Robinson is among our best managers during that time. 

Out of curiosity, if you think he's shite then who do you think has done well in the last 25 years?

11 minutes ago, CoF said:

I've been going to Fir Park for 25 years and think Robinson is among our best managers during that time. 

Out of curiosity, if you think he's shite then who do you think has done well in the last 25 years?

I’v only seen Barraclough and McGee. Robinson blows them both out of the water.

29 minutes ago, milo said:

Plenty actually. The embarrassing scenario I’m referring to is reasonably rare as far as I recall. Happy to stand corrected if anyone can list the times it’s happened.

Take out the 4 attempts bit which is pretty irrelevant given you can only judge it on the team that got promoted and I would have thought it’s happened a good few times. 

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

I’ve been following the team for a wee while myself and have seen some far worse squads. The team of the late sixties being relegated to the old second division comes to mind. Alex McLeish’s team? Maurice Malpas’ team? 

17 hours ago, Yodo said:

Fair dues , We’re about the same vintage then , lad , but my opinion still holds. The cup final team and then the 93/94 team were great but the financial gap is too much now to challenge consistently.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, Andy_P said:

I don't  know about that.  You can surely attempt to put anything in whatever context you wish, but that doesn't necessarily mean a negative or positive viewpoint hasn't been applied to the context.

You mention Tommy McLean.  When was the last time you heard someone put that 93'94 third place finish in the context of Celtic being at their lowest ebb for about 40 years. Or that both Hibs and Hearts were having budget cuts because they were in the midst of ground reconstruction? Is that not putting that in context too?  It is, but it's just applying the context really negatively.

The same as someone dubious of Robinson might suggest that there is little worth attached to the achievement of finishing third in the table because that particular season they only happened to be marginally less bad than another nine teams what was a poor standard of league,  Just the  same as someone more supportive of Robinson may put a third place finish in the context of that team having the  second or third lowest budget in the league and achieving beyond the expectation level.

With all due respect you are stretching a bit. 

We finished four points behind a great Rangers side in 93/94.  Celtic at their lowest ebb in 93/94 were still a better than any team in the league last season other than, arguably, the current Celtic team.  Again the Hibs and Hearts sides of that era were far superior to last seasons, budget cuts or not.  Aberdeen were still a genuine force with title aspirations etc, etc.

The point is Robinson supporters are using 3rd place as if it denotes a fixed  value like a Queen in a pack of cards.  It doesn't.  It varies from year to year - points, wins, defeats, goals scored, goals conceded, standard of opposition etc.  It's entirely possible to finish a season in 3rd place and be mediocre.  Or in McLean's case, be probably the best Motherwell side most of us have actually seen.

If you genuinely think our team and our performances last season matched other 3rd place finishes then say so and stop with the parlour games. 

Of course, I know you don't because to do so would be ridiculous.

51 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

With all due respect you are stretching a bit. 

We finished four points behind a great Rangers side in 93/94.  Celtic at their lowest ebb in 93/94 were still a better than any team in the league last season other than, arguably, the current Celtic team.  Again the Hibs and Hearts sides of that era were far superior to last seasons, budget cuts or not.  Aberdeen were still a genuine force with title aspirations etc, etc.

The point is Robinson supporters are using 3rd place as if it denotes a fixed  value like a Queen in a pack of cards.  It doesn't.  It varies from year to year - points, wins, defeats, goals scored, goals conceded, standard of opposition etc.  It's entirely possible to finish a season in 3rd place and be mediocre.  Or in McLean's case, be probably the best Motherwell side most of us have actually seen.

If you genuinely think our team and our performances last season matched other 3rd place finishes then say so and stop with the parlour games. 

Of course, I know you don't because to do so would be ridiculous.

All of which perfectly reinforces the intended point that you can put anything in whatever context the writer seeks to present. That the picking and choosing of applicable points negative or positive can be done subjectively to suite whatever context and argument you wish to build. Thank you for further illustrating that.

And you're right of course I wouldn't for a second put last season's team in the same bracket as the 93'94 side. That was never the point as I'm sure you were fully aware.

• Like 1