Season 2020’21: Game 3 Livingston (home)

texanwellfan

If we don’t win this one I expect the vultures to be hovering big style. Not sure how many changes he will make but think the back four will stay the same. He has options in midfield and Donnelly  may come back in if fit, we really have more than enough quality in midfield, Robinson just needs to stick with the same players and not try to shoehorn people in. I think he’s unlikely to change the formation so I would go with Hylton, Watt, and Hastie up front but Hastie really needs to up his game, I don’t see him surviving another poor display. I take it Lang has a 3 game ban but expect t him to come straight into the starting 11 when available, even in the short time he was on his energy and confidence was a breath of fresh air, he’s going to be popular with the support. There really is no reason we can’t win this one, we just need to be more ruthless. It’s so frustrating having so much possession only for it to come to nothing and we certainly have enough within the team to score goals. A lot has been made of the defence and yes I had my worries and would like to have seen it strengthened but in all honestly if we had put away a third of our chances it would hardly be getting a mention.

Barring some kind of miracle, the best we can hope for here is a Livvy off day so we can scrape a 0-0. Im sure Livvy have a pretty decent record away from home, they are a stuffy team who will sit in so we will struggle to score, and we are 99.9% likely to see Hastie Rw & Seedorf Lw completely neutering their pace, and Grimshaw & Mugabi in defence, completely neutering our ability to keep a clean sheet. Plus we will see the delights of Long yet again as a lone target man

I would love to see Donnelly for Grimshaw & Maguire or Hussein for Mugabi (neither can be much worse than him) plus Hylton/Seedorf RW with Hastie given a run LW and Watt starting as TM. But Ive more chance of rodding Jennifer Lawrence than seeing Robbo change things.

As above, think Watt deserves a chance to start up top if we're going with a lone striker and think Hastie needs dropped or played on the left, as he's been so ineffective on the right. I had the radio commentary on alongside the stream at the weekend, can't remember who was on the commentary team but Watt was taking a fair bit of criticism for 'not playing like a centre forward', etc.

I definitely fall more into the happy clapper category than your typical doom-monger forum member, but I do really think we need a result against Livi. In-form Hibs at the weekend and Celtic coming up soon also, we need some points on the board/goals scored/clean sheets soon. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Robinson just needs to stick with the same players and not try to shoehorn people in. 

I'd certainly also be against shuffling things around too much. While it's clear Robinson doesn't know himself what his best 11 is at the moment, he needs to pick one and stick with it for a few games, painful as that might be to watch.

At this point, I'd take a draw.

Livi will have done their homework on us so expect the same tactics that Ross County and Utd used against us. Up to us to break them down and our forwards really need to get their act together 

I suppose one saving grace with Lang being out is that they can work on his fitness as I’m sure I read somewhere that he hadn’t done any pre-season .

12 minutes ago, santheman said:

Livi will have done their homework on us so expect the same tactics that Ross County and Utd used against us. Up to us to break them down and our forwards really need to get their act together

Very much so. First goal will be critical. Defence will be the same I'd guess, unless there are more injuries. In midfield I'd play Polworth and Turnbull for 45 minutes each. Maybe time to drop Hastie? Perhaps scope to play Watt & White up front? Doubt it will turn out that way though as I think we'll retain the 4-2-3-1 formation and go with a single front man. I thought I'd read somewhere that Donnelly was the player who is self isolating so its doubtful if he'll feature unless rumours are wrong.

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Very much so. First goal will be critical. Defence will be the same I'd guess, unless there are more injuries. In midfield I'd play Polworth and Turnbull for 45 minutes each. Maybe time to drop Hastie? Perhaps scope to play Watt & White up front? Doubt it will turn out that way though as I think we'll retain the 4-2-3-1 formation and go with a single front man. I thought I'd read somewhere that Donnelly was the player who is self isolating so its doubtful if he'll feature unless rumours are wrong.

I hope the defence does not stay the same. Really unfortunate the injury to McGinley.  

I know we have limited options but I still feel we are strong in midfield and up front and will come good. 

I am nowhere near as negative as Shaka but then who is. But I don’t disagree with his comment that playing Grimshaw and Mugabi lessens our chances of a clean sheet.  Time to try something else out but I also suspect you are right and Grimshaw and Mugabi will start. In which case we will need to score at least 2 goals to get a draw or a win. 

I see more of the same as v County and United but hopefully we can get a bit of luck or rub of the green to get 3 points. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not the case, he’s crocked & we’ll see him in October...

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I take it Lang has a 3 game ban but expect t him to come straight into the starting 11 when available, even in the short time he was on his energy and confidence was a breath of fresh air, he’s going to be popular with the support. There really is no reason we can’t win this one, we just need to be more ruthless. It’s so frustrating having so much possession only for it to come to nothing and we certainly have enough within the team to score goals. A lot has been made of the defence and yes I had my worries and would like to have seen it strengthened but in all honestly if we had put away a third of our chances it would hardly be getting a mention.

It is a 2 game ban, one to go.

We need 6 points from the next 2 home games as we’re unlikely to get anything at Easter Road and/or Parkhead. Failure to do so and the writing could be on the wall for a terrible season and Robinson would be under major pressure for not only that run but also as a continuation of last season. We could easily contrive to lose the opening 5/6/7 games here.

Brutal news about Donnelly now too. If it wasn’t for bad luck we’d have no luck at all....

Injuries may limit who we are able to field at the back but I’d rather see Macguire in there instead of Mugabi.  Grimshaw needs dropped but that’s unlikely.  Middle to front I’d drop Hastie, or at least try him on the other side. and play 2 upfront.

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I hope the defence does not stay the same. Really unfortunate the injury to McGinley.  

I know we have limited options but I still feel we are strong in midfield and up front and will come good. 

I am nowhere near as negative as Shaka but then who is. But I don’t disagree with his comment that playing Grimshaw and Mugabi lessens our chances of a clean sheet.  Time to try something else out but I also suspect you are right and Grimshaw and Mugabi will start. In which case we will need to score at least 2 goals to get a draw or a win. 

I see more of the same as v County and United but hopefully we can get a bit of luck or rub of the green to get 3 points. 

I dont like being negative. And its more frustration than negativity! I actually believe we have a very decent team, but unfortunately weve contrived (mainly by the Manager) to cut our own throats.

7 billion people in the world, all except our fucking manager, can see Chris Long is never a lone striker in a million years, but we will see him back in that position tomo nite. Incidentally the same situation with only Robinson seeing Grimshaw as a professional footballer! Tony Watt was fantastic the season he played for St Johnstone as TM, he could hold the ball up, link with the midfield etc, but he is warming our bench or getting cameos on the fucking wing. Hastie blew into the team as an inverted winger (cutting in on his good foot from the opposite wing) but he has been fucking awful recently, so why not try him on the left where he can at least run on the outside and beat defenders with his pace? 

We all know how Livvy will line up, and everyone knows they will sit in. Unfortunately we also know Robinson will not admit he is wrong and "go again" with the same ridiculous tactics and team and for the life of me I just cant see how we will break them down with how we are playing at the moment

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ross said:

Maybe a game to try polworth and Turnbull together if we’ll struggle to break down livi?That might be a bit too attacking mind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so. We are stuck with 4-3-3 for the foreseeable future as we need Campbell, Turnbull and a defensive mid in the team. 

The problem so far has been full backs who can't pass the ball and a front three that doesn't link with each other or the midfield. That makes us very easy to defend against and allows teams to crowd Turnbull.

I'd bring in Watt to hold the ball up and Hylton because he can actually play the left attacker role even if he's hit or miss. If he plays Long in the same role again we'll be heading to about the fourth time Robinson has faced a must win game against Accies to keep his job.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

That's not good news. Maybe the only upside to that is that it'll open the door for a fringe/young player?

As most know I am always desperate for youth to get a chance so would love to see us try a youngster at left back before we go scouring the non league for a player.  Robbo always on about how he has no more money to spend so why not try a youngster first as no extra wage required. If it doesn't work then let's see if Tony Straker available!! ( calm doon....only joking)

What about a risky 3-5-2 ?  I’m sure there could be some personnel changes there but I think it would make us more attack minded, gets Long playing in a front 2. But back 3 looks dodgy. Maybe push O’Hara to RCB and put polworth in defensive mode role?   

carson

Mugabe   Gallagher   Lamie

seedorf  O’Hara  Turnbull Campbell Hastie

Long   Watt

I personally think we'll be pretty much unchanged from the United game, possibly one or two changes along the front. Not sure playing with wingers is working when teams just want to sit in deep against us. Doubt we'll see it , but I think something like the below could work where we'd get the 2 up top and Turnbull has the opportunity to find the pockets of space when attacking and to drop into a bank of 4 when we're defending. But can't see anything other than starting with wingers tbh. 

Carson

Grimmy - Dec - Mugabi - Lamie

O'Hara - Campbell - Polworth

Turnbull

Watt - Long

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

What about a risky 3-5-2 ?  I’m sure there could be some personnel changes there but I think it would make us more attack minded, gets Long playing in a front 2. But back 3 looks dodgy. Maybe push O’Hara to RCB and put polworth in defensive mode role?   

carson

Mugabe   Gallagher   Lamie

seedorf  O’Hara  Turnbull Campbell Hastie

Long   Watt

Did Gallagher and Lamie not play in a back 3 atLivi along with Halket ???

49 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I personally think we'll be pretty much unchanged from the United game, possibly one or two changes along the front. Not sure playing with wingers is working when teams just want to sit in deep against us. Doubt we'll see it , but I think something like the below could work where we'd get the 2 up top and Turnbull has the opportunity to find the pockets of space when attacking and to drop into a bank of 4 when we're defending. But can't see anything other than starting with wingers tbh. 

Carson

Grimmy - Dec - Mugabi - Lamie

O'Hara - Campbell - Polworth

Turnbull

Watt - Long

Quite like the look of this team, I doubt we'll see it unfortunately.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night, I think we'll get our first win.