Season 2020’21: Game 3 Livingston (home)

texanwellfan

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Which youngster? 

Surely we have youngsters that can play defence. I know it's all about opinions but I dont see point in us signing another player seeing as Robbo always plays the we are skint card.  If no youngsters to promote then we should be asking why.  Sorry that's my opinion and I am sure folk will disagree.....but hey it's better than me telling jokes!!.....ps. Was in a restaurant and asked the waiter 'Is Fish one of the specials?', he replied 'dont be stupid......he was in Marillion!!'

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Max Johnstone the only LB in the squad, only 18 I think

Cheers.  I'm not  as familiar with all of the youngsters on the fringes of the first team as I could be.  Believe Devine and Hussain are more central but wasn't sure about full-back cover.

32 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Surely we have youngsters that can play defence. I know it's all about opinions but I dont see point in us signing another player seeing as Robbo always plays the we are skint card.  If no youngsters to promote then we should be asking why.  Sorry that's my opinion and I am sure folk will disagree.....but hey it's better than me telling jokes!!.....ps. Was in a restaurant and asked the waiter 'Is Fish one of the specials?', he replied 'dont be stupid......he was in Marillion!!'

Fair enough.  As per reply to Shaka I wasn't actually sure what cover there was to consider doing as you suggested.

But as your regards point about no youngster to promote, you surely aren't expecting a first team ready youngster to be on hand for every position if by some quirk, like the left-back position now, there are four players for that position unavailable, are you?  With the best will in the world not everyone is going to make it to the first team from the youth side and not all of those who do are necessarily going to be in a position you might find yourself short on.

4 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Fair enough.  As per reply to Shaka I wasn't actually sure what cover there was to consider doing as you suggested.

But as your regards point about no youngster to promote, you surely aren't expecting a first team ready youngster to be on hand for every position if by some quirk, like the left-back position now, there are four players for that position unavailable, are you?  With the best will in the world not everyone is going to make it to the first team from the youth side and not all of those who do are necessarily going to be in a position you might find yourself short on.

Fair do's Andy, as always I respect folks opinions.  I just feel that we should try a youngster before yet another english lower league player.   I remember uncle phil being chipped in at left back for his debut v st Mirren,  worked out well.  Maybe robbo could sign bolingoli on loan as no chance he is playing for sellik again........yes i am joking.....COYW

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Which youngster? 

I was thinking of Donnelly as a midfielder and therefore young Dean Cornelius would come into the reckoning.  Incidentally, Stephen Robinson has said that Hylton hasn’t featured much so far because he wasn’t fully fit. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I was thinking of Donnelly as a midfielder and therefore young Dean Cornelius would come into the reckoning.  Incidentally, Stephen Robinson has said that Hylton hasn’t featured much so far because he wasn’t fully fit. 

Just my opinion but I can't say Hylton not playing has affected us.  

Hastie not playing has affected us though, since he has actually been out on the park. Maybe he will adopt Brazilian custom and just become known by the one name and have “BAMBI” across the back of his shirt. At the very least I hope he puts the right studs in his boots for this game. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Blue3 said:

We need some points on the board lets get behind the team #together 

One of the few good things about playing behind closed doors is that the players wont be subjected to abuse feom the usual suspects in the East Stand should things not be going our way after about 20 minutes tomorrow!

We really could do with a performance and a result though, just to buy us some time until the squad settles down.....

59 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We really could do with a performance and a result though, just to buy us some time until the squad settles down.....

This is a game where I only care about the result. Entertainment is usually thin on the ground against this lot, but if we get 3 points that will do nicely.

3 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

You’re just plucking him from the squad list. Certainly not ready to be thrown in and the manager talking of using the transfer market certainly backs that up.

Agreed, it's so easy to say "play the youngsters" but it's surely not as easy as that; some of them just aren't ready physically/technically/mentally, and throwing them in to play in a team that's as brutal as ours can do a lot of harm.

I imagine playing a youngster in the first team before they are ready could seriously detriment their career. Imagine going to uni to study law, and after the first 6 months be told you’ve been drafted in as the lawyer for the defence on a high-profile case. You’d crumble. Maybe not the best comparison, but these young boys touted as being first team cover are still very much serving an apprenticeship at the moment and won’t be ready physically or mentally for first team football. 

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

This is a game where I only care about the result. Entertainment is usually thin on the ground against this lot, but if we get 3 points that will do nicely.

My thoughts exactly. Just lets get the 3 points and worry about the method afterwards.

15 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

You’re just plucking him from the squad list. Certainly not ready to be thrown in and the manager talking of using the transfer market certainly backs that up.

Didnt say he was! I was just replying to a question from Andy as to if there was anyone else in the squad

Maybe not that bad a shout actually. Issue will be that, as Robinson says, we need someone to hit the ground running and he won't have had any sort of pre-season. That could perhaps be weighed against the usual settling in period that new players would have?

Jesus wept..... Adam Livingstone.  

I don't recall him being particularly impressive when he made his cameo appearances and was Robinson not in fact quite scathing of his lack of fitness? He's hardly going to have improved since then especially now that he is without a club. 

• Like 1

Given the options open to us I'd expect to see the same back 8 as Sat with 1 or 2 changes to the front 3.

I'd go with , Carson, Grimshaw, Mugabi, Gallagher and Lamie, Campbell, Turnbull and Ohara, Long, Watt and Hylton. With Long on the right and Hylton left, Watt in the middle.

Seedorf appears to be a better sub and Hastie has been poor so far.