Season 2020’21: Game 3 Livingston (home)

texanwellfan

Well that's my third game as a new Motherwell fan and my thoughts are;

The negatives

1. Poor start to season 

2. Great start tonight at 2-0 at home game should have been over

3.  No left back and lack of creativity in midfield 

4. Some difficult games to come and team not jelling 

5. Injuries mounting up and it's only game 3 we could be adrift if they are not back soon

6. The stream was awful, no radio comentary to be found I never realised how bleeding difficult it is trying to follow a game in Scotland from England it's like we are on diffrent planets not next door to each other, plus it's unbalivable hot and humid down here, trying to sleep is a nightmare which makes me really techie and difficult to live with  (rant over)

The Positives

1. We are off and running our first point on the board

2. At least we are not Aberdeen right now

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Issue is formation and trying to square the circle 

Ohara , Turnbull and Campbell are quality players but  3 midfield players isn’t enough . 

personal view is we should move to a 4-5-1 which can flip into a 4-3-3.  Either Long, Lang , Watt or White should play.

if we play 2 of them , we need to move to a 4-4-2 .

Yip I think this is an issue. I don't think we can afford to have a DM, Turnbull and Campbell and two attacking wingers. We needed someone who can play one of the wide attacking roles but also tuck in and help the midfield to give us more balance.

The other massive issue is as GazzyB said you can't play any football these days without full backs who can pass and we have two atrocious footballers at fullback. Every opponent knows this and it allows them to crowd our midfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Watt isnt the goalscoring answer, but having him in the team "should" mean the 3 behind him score a lot more.  At St Johnstone Watt was praised for his  hold up work up front, allowing others to get into the game. Im not saying he's the messiah, Im not even convinced he is that great a player, but in our squad, he is a million miles ahead of our other options

My concern is that there just aren't enough goals right across the pool of forwards.

Watt and Long have never got in double figures in their careers.  White's record isn't great and what there is is at a low level (Scottish Third division!).  Lang has got a few goals at League 2 level but it remains to see how he adapts. McIvor is just a young lad.

I think we'll be lucky to get one of those guys over 10 league goals his term and if you look at teams that really struggle it's usually because they don't have a goal scoring forward.

14 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Robinson going in hard on the players early doors, ‘We are playing with 7 men...’

Campbell, Mugabi and White name-checked for their positive contributions. 

Worrying - White is another bowman and will never score goals. A big hard working lad who puts himself about but has no ability .

The manager needs to look at his recruitment . He likes a 4-3-3 and he hasn’t recruited a right back and has opted for 4 strikers who won’t suit being a 4-3-3 . Watt , white , long and Lang are all suited to 4-4-2 .

if we’d gone today with a winger on the left , with seedorf on the right and white through the middle I believe we’d have much better balance .

that way seedorf , white could all be replaced quite easily by Hastie , Hylton ,  Long or Watt . 

Edited by wellsince75

Robinson saying on radio we have only played with 7 men the last 3 games .We have players who are not fully committed to the club and only here for a move ,well excuse me Mr Robinson but u are supposed to motivate the players and get them focused . Biggest laugh from the Blarney Stone kisser he actually thought White had a good game ,do us all a favour and resign your taking the club nowhere 

We look like a team that's starting from scratch rather than one that should be building on a really good league finish last time out.the fact that we have tried umpteen different combinations up front already is a concern and not one player has done anything worth mentioning,why are we still trying seedorf on the left and the least said about playing long out wide the better,we seen last season when he played there that he offers nothing, we bring hastie on and yet again stick him on the right where right now he couldn't beat a man if his life depended on it.robinson can't legislate for some of the idiotic decisions our defenders have made so far this season and he must be tearing his hair at the likes of the penalty we gave away tonight but he's preached the back to basics stuff since he's been here,well he needs to start that now and play guys where there most comfortable.i really don't have much trouble with the midfield 3 we started with tonight,for me its our strongest but unless we can sort the forward line out and stop giving away stupid possession away from the back,with guys just taking the lazy option and hoofing it up the park were going to continue to struggle,if we can get a couple of points from our next 3 games,i think we will be doing well.

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Yip I think this is an issue. I don't think we can afford to have a DM, Turnbull and Campbell and two attacking wingers. We needed someone who can play one of the wide attacking roles but also tuck in and help the midfield to give us more balance.

Essentially what Stephen Pearson did in his second stint, and to a very much lesser extent in his third.

3 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Robinson saying on radio we have only played with 7 men the last 3 games .We have players who are not fully committed to the club and only here for a move ,well excuse me Mr Robinson but u are supposed to motivate the players and get them focused . Biggest laugh from the Blarney Stone kisser he actually thought White had a good game ,do us all a favour and resign your taking the club nowhere 

And he highlighted Campbell as our best player despite leaving him out for the first match.  Hmmm.

"I'm happy with the first point, I'm happy that we defended throws okay, I'm happy we handled the physical aspect of Livingston, but that's probably where my happiness ends," he tells BBC Radio Scotland.

"Some people aren't performing and we're playing with seven men every single week

"I've been patient, I've cajoled people, but they've been told tonight that it is simply not good enough. If they want to play for this football club, they will die for this football club.

"This football club has been very good to people and put careers on track and, if everybody gave me what Allan Campbell has on that pitch, we'd be a lot further up that league."

At least he sees there is a problem.

Obviously there are questions about why it takes until 75 minutes to make a sub when we are playing with 7 men but small steps.

8 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Gallagher should also be called out for his constant hoof ball to no one

Agreed,he actually looked pretty decent at times last season in possession but for whatever reason he's now resorting to hoofball stuff,that long ball he played in the second half tonight was that bad,it actually looked like he was trying to score.

1 minute ago, Andy_P said:

Essentially what Stephen Pearson did in his second stint, and to a very much lesser extent in his third.

Yip. Even Foran did the wide attacker who worked back bit effectively as well. Seedorf, Hylton, Long and Hastie don't have it in them.

The modern example is Willian. Chelsea fans complained about his goal return but he was always in the team for his work rate.

Just now, mfc said:

Agreed,he actually looked pretty decent at times last season in possession but for whatever reason he's now resorting to hoofball stuff,that long ball he played in the second half tonight was that bad,it actually looked like he was trying to score.

He was holding his hip a lot tonight. I don't think he is fit.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

At least he sees there is a problem.

Obviously there are questions about why it takes until 75 minutes to make a sub when we are playing with 7 men but small steps.

Pretty scathing from robinson there,hopefully its the boot up the arse that the majority of them are needing

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

He was holding his hip a lot tonight. I don't think he is fit.

He definitely hasnt looked comfortable in the first 3 games,he's head and shoulders above anything else we have at the back,if he gets injured we really are in the shit

38 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Said previously Long looks like someone how doesn’t want to be here

But if we’re going to play him it’s got to be up top with a partner not out on the wing 

Yes. White suffered badly from lack of support and decent ammunition. We had no one close enough to help him as the lone striker. If we can’t play Long alongside another striker be it Watt or White then he shouldn’t be picked. He isn’t a midfielder. Seedorf also played far too far away from White.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

He definitely hasnt looked comfortable in the first 3 games,he's head and shoulders above anything else we have at the back,if he gets injured we really are in the shit

I thought he was lucky to not give away a penalty two weeks in a row against Dundee Utd.

Not been anywhere near last season.

We could play name the four? Long, Gallagher, Grimshaw and one other? 

I thought tonight was more worrying than Saturday against Dundee United and that was poor. At least on Saturday our midfield seemed to control the game for spells. Tonight they were overrun. Guys like Bartley and Pitman dominated. 

Defence looks dodgy although I'm slightly more willing to cut them some slack given the back four injuries have left us with was probably not one we envisaged using. Given the length of time we are going to be without the injured players, we either need to find a way to make it work or find some alternatives. 

Up front is where the problems lie. White is not good enough, neither is Long. The fact that we signed Hastie while Livingston signed Forrest looks like a bad move on tonight's evidence. Hylton looks a threat but what good is that when he isn't fit for longer than 30 minutes. Our defence may be imperfect but if you had told me we would concede 1 goal away to Ross County and 1 goal at home to Dundee United, I would hope for a minimum of 2 points out of those games. Unless Lang is some kind of Louis Moult/Pele hybrid, prepare for a relegation battle...

It's still early in the season but I just had a look and if you include cup matches this is actually Robinson's worst run of matches, 13 for 1 win.

If you just include league matches we had a 12 for 1 win in 2017/18.

Currently on 11 for 1 win between the end of last season and the start of this one.

I've said it before but we've barely kicked a ball since James Scott departed.

• Like 1