Season 2020’21: Game 4 Hibernian (away)

Andy_P

3 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Good debut for Stephen O’Donnell, looked better tonight defensively, more confident, goals will come, great point well done to the whole team ...

Be nice to start that next week and bang in a bunch against Accies at Fir Park to keep them rooted to bottom spot with “nil point” 

A very good performance against a good team with lots of positives. Far better from the whole midfield with Campbell man of the match by a mile. O’Donnell was excellent and Gallagher more like his old self, always in control. Up front Lang tired but again showed enough to suggest he’s a very good signing and I thought White actually did ok, unlucky to see his goal ruled out although the correct decision, Seedorf again had a decent game. We do however need to start putting chances away given the amount of possession we have, Long and especially Watt look well behind the pace and at this point the striker we brought in as a back up actually looks the best option in the centre.  Not actually that many negatives, O’Hara is not at his best playing that deep and I’m afraid Mugabi is simply not good enough in my view. I never like to write a player off but he was part of a team that was relegated from the football league and you can see why, his distribution is an accident waiting to happen. But I feel pretty positive after that, we were never suddenly a terrible team and today that showed, we will turn it around.

Much much better performance. Our midfield 3 dominated Hibs, O'Donnell was a huge difference for us. Lamie had a very good game too. Bevis was absolutely fine defensively, we just need to ban him from passing cause he's fucking atrocious with the ball at his feet! Id he wins the ball, hoof it or play it back to Carson, and all Well players banned from passing to him and we will be ok.

Up front is a big worry tho. Seedorf has pace, but no match sense or end product, Long is never a winger in a million years and Hylton was so bad he makes Seedorf look like Lionel Messi. Watt was poor bit was a tough cameo, and White is poor, but could be a useful sub to chuck on to throw himself about, never a starter tho.  Set pieces are also fucking murder!

Its weird but I actually feel MORE worried about us after this game than I have after each of the other 3 games! At least previously we were hopeless, so we knew we would improve, but today was the best we have played this season by absolute miles, and yet (apart from the offside goal) we looked like we could play for the next month solid and not score. Our attack, or lack thereof, is a serious worry

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Its weird but I actually feel MORE worried about us after this game than I have after each of the other 3 games! At least previously we were hopeless, so we knew we would improve, but today was the best we have played this season by absolute miles, and yet (apart from the offside goal) we looked like we could play for the next month solid and not score. Our attack, or lack thereof, is a serious worry

The goals will come. It has been a slow (and disappointing) start to the season no doubt but it is a good squad of players that matched a Hibs side on form. 

I wonder if Robinson maybe slightly misjudged pre-season but I think  match fitness is returning and the strikers will benefit as the games go on. 

Let's just enjoy an improved performance for now. I still have high hopes for the coming season. 

While we did not score I though we at least looked more likely to score today. (I know, not hard to look more likely compared to the other games) Some good blocks from the Hibs defense. Having said that, I agree with an earlier post that we need to be able to do something better at corners. For all the corners we have had and not to score from one is something that needs to be improved. 

Lets face facts. 

We made an on form Hibs team getting rave reviews look decidedly average.

Our defence and midfield were bang on today. Stephen O Donnell and Lamie were very good. 

Turnbull and Campbell were also very good. 

Our final ball and up front is the missing link. Get that right and we will be top 6 again this year. 

• Like 1

A step in the right direction. We looked far better balanced all over the park tonight and with a bit more luck and quality up front should have taken all three points.

whats of greatest concern however is that despite all the signings at the top end of the park, seedorf is still one of our better options. I also can’t see any of our forwards scoring any more than 5 all season.

6 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Didn’t see the game but it sounds like we showed a great improvement, one question though, were we better because (unlike the other teams we have played) did Hibs come out at us which allowed us to play our own game or did we outplay them  - if that makes sense?

I thought we actually started the game on the front foot with far more energy, Hibs actually struggled because of us, not the other way round.

20 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Didn’t see the game but it sounds like we showed a great improvement, one question though, were we better because (unlike the other teams we have played) did Hibs come out at us which allowed us to play our own game or did we outplay them  - if that makes sense?

Hibs changed their shape to counter ours … … which is a good sign

Better balance with the back four with us having a natural right back …… and lay off Big Bevis ok his distribution is poor but he can defend

Think we would benefit by playing two up top and getting O’Hara out of defensive midfield role …. Campbell Turnbull O’Hara would be an exciting midfield three with Turnbull and O’Hara supporting the front two … … if only Donnelly was fit for the defensive role 

20 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Hibs changed their shape to counter ours … … which is a good sign

Better balance with the back four with us having a natural right back …… and lay off Big Bevis ok his distribution is poor but he can defend

Think we would benefit by playing two up top and getting O’Hara out of defensive midfield role …. Campbell Turnbull O’Hara would be an exciting midfield three with Turnbull and O’Hara supporting the front two … … if only Donnelly was fit for the defensive role 

Completely agree with this .

if we play 2 up front we can add another midfielder and push Ohara and the rest up a little .

until Donnelly is back I’d be tempted to go with grimmie as the defensive midfielder and go with Lang and White upfront . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Completely agree with this .

if we play 2 up front we can add another midfielder and push Ohara and the rest up a little .

until Donnelly is back I’d be tempted to go with grimmie as the defensive midfielder and go with Lang and White upfront . 

Were not having any joy in the wide areas right now so i think going 2 up front in a 4321 would be a good shout with turnbull in behind,maybe even polworth in behind and letting turnbull play in the midfield 3.agreed about grimmy i wouldn't be against playing him as the defensive midfielder as for me his best game for us was playing there against aberdeen in the cup semi,atleast we have that option now that o'donnell is here.

Well that was the first enjoyable Motherwell performance for a while with the pieces of the jigsaw gradually coming together. As has been said, O’Donnell was excellent after 6 months off and had a huge impact on the team. Lamie meanwhile made a good recovery from Wednesday with a really solid performance. Gallagher also had his best game of the season while Mugabi continues to improve. 

In midfield, I just love to see Campbell and Turnbull on song alongside eachother. Hopefully they can put a few teams to the sword before one or both move on by October. Completing the midfield, O’Hara returned to form tonight, providing a good foil for the other two. 

The front three is where the concern lies. To date, we’ve offered no cutting edge and within our plethora of attacking options, it’s difficult to know who our leading contributors are going to be. White is raw for a player his age while Lang will need to prove he has an end product once he’s up to speed. For now though, I’d stick with the same front three as the subs offered little. Hopefully we can bang in a few goals soon and the confidence grows. 

Bevis had so much of the ball because Hibs were happy to let him have it. Either way, he was fine and deserves just as much credit for the clean sheet as anyone else. In fact the worst pass of the day goes to Turnbull, but I’ll get over it.

It was good to see Gallagher stroll a game again.