Season 2020’21: Game 5 Hamilton Accies (H)

texanwellfan

The board have been very good to Robinson and he is clearly well regarded at Motherwell. 

It looks like we have trusted his judgement and reinvested some of the fees from player sales into the squad this season. 

Big call whether we want to continue that faith after this transfer window. 

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've been very critical of Robinson at times but you don't fire a manager after 5 league matches.

Next game is huge though.  If we have a humiliating European elimination at home to Glentoran, which is quite possible I think, then get pumped by Celtic then the heat starts to turn up.

However, we need players brought in rather than a change of management although sometimes I think Robinson can be a bit thick when it comes to spotting obvious deficiencies.  

Going into the season with the strikers and forwards we have was never going to cut it and why he thought it would is honestly a bit baffling.

But you have to judge him from the turn of the year because it looks like he has learned nothing and hasn't made good enough signings to improve team .He has to go before we become detached at the bottom and as somebody said in a post this squad couldn't handle a relegation battle .Cant wait for his interview to hear who gets the blame 

3 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

Let's see 68% to 32% possession, 17shots to 8, 4 on target against 2, 13 corners to 5 and you say Accies were the better team, absolute nonsense, name a better player on the park than DT. It's up front we lack as the possession stats and shot/corner stats show. 

We knew Accies would sit in and they did. Whats more they looked comfortable throughout. Fulton was busy but didn't really have to produce fantastic saves. Possession wise yes we should have won but Accies were the more dangerous. Its not all about quantity of possession; rather quality. When under pressure, Accies looked comfortable for the most part but when we were under pressure we looked shaky and rattled.

1 minute ago, Jumbomuir said:

Let's see 68% to 32% possession, 17shots to 8, 4 on target against 2, 13 corners to 5 and you say Accies were the better team, absolute nonsense, name a better player on the park than DT. It's up front we lack as the possession stats and shot/corner stats show. 

Teams let us have the ball and let us come on to them because they know we won't do shit and are always good for a mistake at the back.

Don't mistake our possession and shot stats for Celtic style domination.

Teams are happy to let us have the lions share of possession as they know there is virtually no chance of us doing anything with it. The substitutions were ridiculous and turned the game in Accies favour. Every substitution weakened the team.

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

For all the positive press that our midfield get, we are creating next to nothing in terms of making chances

Because in front of them they have Lang who just wants to dribble then shoot, Seedorf who is hopeless and panics all the time and White who is Paul Keegan 2.0.

Not only are they never going to score but it's a rare event that they actually retain possession.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish the only stat that matters is who scored the most goals, so going by that Accies were the better team they won

Any manager or supporters of a team with these figures would be disappointed to lose the game, but to say Accies were the better team because we fell asleep at a corner is nonsense 

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

For all the positive press that our midfield get, we are creating next to nothing in terms of making chances

I absolutely agree with this. Turnbull while clearly our best player (and was again today) wasn’t very creative. I don’t think think I can watch another minute of Jermaine Hilton

9 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Credit to Accies, they hung in with a team of kids and smelt blood the longer the game they want. 

Robinson has a habit of bullishly stating he won’t alter his style of play. That’s an issue in itself. Despite the talent at our disposal we are incredibly predictable and the possession football is pointless if you have no end product. 

The talent at our disposal? I've also read the phrase 'the quality in this squad'. I don't see it. Turnbull, Campbell and Carson are quality, Donnelly is decent. Beyond that? Dross.

Is there anyone in our squad with a proven track record of scoring goals at this level other than Turnbull? Answer is no ..

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish the only stat that matters is who scored the most goals, so going by that Accies were the better team they won

Yep! Regardless of how you analyze a game or what impression you have. The score never lies. The beauty and simplicity of football, the best team is always the one that scores most goals. 

13 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Actually we deserved 3 points and like all the games before this season were the better team for the most part.

But we have nothing up front or out wide and so we can play all fkin year long like that and we will still lose most games. 

Top 6 - like most starting to believe we are already in a relegation battle. One we are probably ill equipped to win.

2 goals and 0 wins in  5 games says it all, Hamilton defended well and took 1 of  there 2 chances . 

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

The talent at our disposal? I've also read the phrase 'the quality in this squad'. I don't see it. Turnbull, Campbell and Carson are quality, Donnelly is decent. Beyond that? Dross.

Is there anyone in our squad with a proven track record of scoring goals at this level other than Turnbull? Answer is no ..

Gallagher and O’Donnell are good players too. 

But yes, beyond that we look hopeless. 

To have spent so much money and be starting games with Mugabe, Seedorf and  White is not acceptable. 

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Mark O'Hara is playing out of position; he's not a defensive midfielder. Jordan White is suffering from very poor service and the defence is good for at least 1 if not more soft goals per game. We need to work far harder in preventing crosses in the first place.

Jordan White suffers from not being good enough for this level.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

There is a number of overrated players in the squad but I’d say the 4 you mention in addition to two internationals, Gallagher and, O’Donnell, two proven performers, Long & Polworth and in time Lang, should be winning games comfortably. 

Obviously we have issues at the top end of the park but we should be capable of beating most of the teams we’ve played so far this season. Everything has just went a little flat unfortunately since the turn of the year. Robinson has put his heart and soul into managing Motherwell but the end of the road feels close. 

We have no real leaders in the side either. No one to give other players not performing a shake. Hate to dredge up the past but Hartley was that leader. Willing to get hurt for the good of the team and lead by example. Ruined ma weekend completely this. 

Should have never brought Long back didn't want to stay and nobody else wanted him so he looks like he is here for the wage.Wingers are not working at all they have been dire its time to change formation but I don't think he will.Need two up front but need to bring in someone with a bit of pace or play Lang with White or Tony cause this is utter shite.

2 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

There is a number of overrated players in the squad but I’d say the 4 you mention in addition to Two internationals, Gallagher and, O’Donnell, two proven performers, Long & Polworth and in time Lang, should be winning games comfortably. 

I don't rate Chris Long at all. .

• Like 3

Every game so far has been of tight margins and that's yet another we have falling on the wrong side of the line,it's more than just luck or coincidence now and even this early on robinson needs to drastically change things.thursday is giving me the fear now,glentoran will have watched us and know that the longer the game goes at 0-0 were likely to self implode and chuck it away.1 point at home from utd,livingston and accies,fuck me that's truly horrific.

6 minutes ago, gee said:

The board have been very good to Robinson and he is clearly well regarded at Motherwell. 

It looks like we have trusted his judgement and reinvested some of the fees from player sales into the squad this season. 

Big call whether we want to continue that faith after this transfer window. 

Over the piece, he has done well, but it is a hard watch at the moment. He is not enhancing his reputation, which was high, before the start of the season.

In true Motherwell style, just when things should be good, we are blowing it.

i don’t want to tempt fate, but if we are not competing at top end of table, it gives the season some meaning if we are at the other end....I know that won’t be a popular opinion.

We have lots of the ball but don’t look dangerous, two wingers who can beat a man, but are luxury players,

Its a pity we can’t have Turnbull and Polworth together , the 2 best footballers, Campbell in there for dig....if we lose Campbell and Turnbull, it could be a long season.

Tony Watt needs a chance before Long....we are easy to defend against and easy to score against, apart from that it’s looking good.

Surely we will beat Glentiran and go in a memorable European run.