Season 2020’21: Game 5 Hamilton Accies (H)

texanwellfan

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Do we have the midfielders to do that though? We definitely can't play Campbell and Turnbull as a pair.

If Carroll was available 3-5-2 might have been a shout. 

Campbell and Turnbull are the only ones actually doing anything in this team, they are the team. No on else has stepped up to the mark this season other than those two.

Can you run through the chances we’ve had in the other games? Or even today would be good.

Edited by GrahamH
Quote fail - meant to reply to Yorkyred and his claim about us making loads of chances.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He’s just said it’s his fault, he signed and picks the players.

Had a proper chuckle at that comment. It was weird attempt at deflecting criticism from the players then batting it straight back at them - "Don't blame the players for being shite, blame me for signing the shite players."

Hope I'm wrong, but these kind of comments are usually a sign of a manager who has run out of ideas and is scraping the barrel to try and get a reaction. 

28 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

And if the run continues he obviously will, every manager lives or dies by his record. I don’t however see that happening for a while  yet. He’s got another half dozen games in my view before we start making a decision like that.Not any stand out replacements that I can see if he does go. You mention Tommy Wright but I’m personally no fan of his style of football, not exactly easy on the eyes, and as much as the football under Robinson was agricultural at times and least he changed to more of a passing game. If Robinson goes it’s odds on to be Lasley.

Unfortunately thats just not true for Robbo. Burrows will never sack him in a million years! We could be bottom of the table in January having lost 18 games in a row and some (him included) would be shouting "aye but we made 2 cup finals a few years ago!" Robinson is in charge until Robinson decides he doesnt want to be, at which time Lasley will be in charge and "we go again"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aberdeen have been grinding out top six for years and will again. St Johnstone might be poor but they have already showed more fight than us. 

We are clearly the worst team through five games. 

Even if we are the point is we are not miles behind the other teams.  We've been one goal from a point or points in every match.

I think bringing one or two of the right type of players into this team could see a big upswing.   Am I happy with the squad we've come into the season with?  No.  Am I fine with Robinson's failure to see there are no goals in our forward line?  No again.  If we can't afford to bring in a striker now and Robinson loses his job because of it he'll have no one to blame but himself.  However I don't think we are at the stage when a wholesale rebuild is required - manager included.  

In 5 or 6 weeks there may or may not be further evidence for one case or the other but right now it's far too early in the season. 

I don't especially rate Robinson but I do think he's done enough to get a little bit, not a lot, of leeway.  

When we get to October you look at it, barring complete disaster.  Let's just wait and see what happens.

36 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Do we have the midfielders to do that though? We definitely can't play Campbell and Turnbull as a pair.

If Carroll was available 3-5-2 might have been a shout. 

Lose one of the wingers, make the one that plays work both channels throughout the game

Deflating stuff and a result that leaves you wondering where the next win is going to come from.

Not for the first time we've seen that movie against Accies.  Hem them in for a good part of the game and then, almost like a switch has been flicked,  out of nowhere suddenly we're behind. There's no doubt that the changes allowed them to kick down a door that was already coming off its hinges  I can't help but think Robinson was partly influenced by the turnaround in the game at Fir Park at Christmas.  That time when it was beginning to slip away he tried to ride out the storm and bring a defender on. It didn't work.  So he went the other way this time and the outcome was no better.

I have to say for just short of an hour or so I thought it pretty good.  It goes without saying that there was still nowhere the required potency in and around the box but I don't think I could have asked for much more beyond that at that stage.  We were playing them off the park. The corner count soaring and the possession was being used pretty sensibly.  I would have preferred to have Long start this one over White, but can see why he wanted to persevere with him.  Particularly in the first half when Turnbull seemed to be omnipresent about 30 yards from goal looking for the killer ball, with the runs he makes I'm sure that would have been more productive. But it's difficult to argue he made little impact when he did come on, albeit it was a different contest then.

But when we hit that point that pretty much everybody watching knew we'd reached where the ideas ran out, the changes didn't work and Accies referred to old script that has worked so well for them.  We could, and should have been behind before they got the goal they did. We had already ridden our luck somewhat.

I have actually quite enjoyed much of our last couple of performances.  I would go so far to say that the two displays in the last week were more enjoyable to watch than some of the wins we turned in last season.  But when it boils down to it, that's bugger all consolation if for all your easy on the eye, possession rich football you can't score for the life of you and you're sitting only a couple of places off the bottom of the table.

It's redeemable. I'm sure it is, but with Celtic away to come and then an international break there is likely to be further pain to be endured when you look at the league table before we can begin to do anything about it in the league.

14 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Hem them in for a good part of the game and then, almost like a switch has been flicked,  out of nowhere suddenly we're behind.

Don't you think that the only time that we are able to hem a team in is when the opposition allow it. Accies and Dundee United clearly had a tactic of sitting in and allowing Motherwell all the possession in front of their back line. When they come out, we don't look at all comfortable.

4 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

Don't you think that the only time that we are able to hem a team in is when the opposition allow it. Accies and Dundee United clearly had a tactic of sitting in and allowing Motherwell all the possession in front of their back line. When they come out, we don't look at all comfortable.

Not necessarily no, but the point was in reference to previous Accies games at Fir Park where we have been leading or at least dominating and then capitulated. See today, the 2-1 loss at Christmas, the 1-0 loss in 2018 and the Christmas game when Hartley offered Imrie some festive wishes.

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

So where do we see points coming from in the next 5 fixtures Celtic ,St Johnston ,Aberdeen , Rangers , Kilmarnock . Need to hope the teams around us keep losing or we get a bounce from appointing Tommy Wright 

Tommy Wright?  You just want another Irishman so you can still roll out your Blarney Stone kisser line every three weeks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MFCL84 said:

They allow us to do it because we are so utterly predictable 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Spot on sir. Its all very well criticising our striker but if the midfield isn't creating chances there's little he can do. All too frequently White was outnumbered in the middle with no support. Turnbull looked comfortable in possession but created almost nothing. He is also playing too deep. It'll take him some weeks yet to regain  his creativity. Seedorf and Lang might have done better if the central midfield had given them the ball earlier and allowed them to run at defenders. Our build, up was far too laboured, predicatble and slow.

Agree

I have to wonder where all the chances the manager thinks we are creating are?

Sportscene missed them too.

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't rate Chris Long at all. .

I get the impression longs attitude stinks , he comes across as a moody petulant type who thinks hes doing us a favour being with us and like you don't rate him. Robinson is running out of reasons.. Was all the players fault now its all his. Hes struggling to come up with reasons.

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Hitting a shot from 25yds isnae a 'chance' and neither is a corner kick into a good area...

But the manager thinks we are creating loads.

We reached the dizzy heights of third last year with Turnbull out and Polworth in

This season Polworth out Turnbull in and no wins in five games

just saying

11 minutes ago, Jack said:

632715659_ScreenShot2020-08-22at20_15_19.png.71aed1101cdbcc16f0b12fac0df05c7d.png

From pie and bovril

Maybe could be considered because at least we have a player at the top of the diamond likely to create some chances for the the forwards.

That's the formation i would like to see us go with starting on thursday,i would start with watt beside lang and bench white.we have played into the opposition's hands so far this season,glentoran will have done there homework and know exactly how to play us,we simply have to shake things up for this game or we could very easily be on the end of a disastrous result.