Season 2020’21: Game 6 Celtic (away)

Spiderpig

Either Celtic are going be feeling the pressure and struggle to perform. So will beat us by the odd (self-inflicted) goal.

Or they are going to be fired up looking to put their Champions League exit behind them, and we could be in trouble.

Let's just take it to them the same way we took it to Hibs and see what happens.

If DT does make an appearance at some point I'd bet a fair wad that Campbell will nail him.

56 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm pretty sure that we decided not to select DT for last night's game a day or two before he actually signed for the dark side.

Not sure I get your angle. Not playing him was for our benefit (£££), not Celtics? 

31 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not sure I get your angle. Not playing him was for our benefit (£££), not Celtics? 

I’m sure the deal would have been nearing completion a day or two before our Euro tie. Had we played him he may have picked up a slight knock at worst or at best tired him self out. As it is he will be fresh for Sunday, benefitting his new employers. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm pretty sure that we decided not to select DT for last night's game a day or two before he actually signed for the dark side.

That's standard practice for just about any team who is about to transfer a player.  It ensures we get a better price and sweetens the deal for both parties. If we'd played him, Celtic (or any suitor) would be asking for a discount.

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Pathetically searching for omens, not long after our previous record sale moved to Celtic we drew 1-1 with them.  I'll take that.

That was my first visit to the Piggery.  I must be getting old as as I could have sworn we were in the upper tier of the new stand as it felt so high up, but from the highlights we were only in the bottom tier. Amazing away support as always back then

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

This but as long as we have some forrays and intent I'll be happy enough.

Standing back is absolutely painful.

We’ll never know.  It’s a blackout.  We could put 10 men across the goal line and Campbell buzzing about the box nipping at anyone who comes close.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepper said:

That was my first visit to the Piggery.  I must be getting old as as I could have sworn we were in the upper tier of the new stand as it felt so high up, but from the highlights we were only in the bottom tier. Amazing away support as always back then

Thanks for reminding me of Scott Howie. I mind him apologising publically for being shite against hearts at tynecastle. 

We are probably on a hiding to nothing with this game. As such, we have nothing much to lose as long as the outcome doesn't affect our performances in the next few games. I reckon that our best hope of taking anything from the game is to sit in and try and frustrate them. Whether we have the personnel to do that is another thing altogether. Lose an early goal though, and it could end being a very long afternoon.

If nothing else, this fixture may help show up the areas of our squad which will need attention in the next few weeks if we are to see the team move in the right direction up the table.

4 hours ago, The African said:

We are probably on a hiding to nothing with this game. As such, we have nothing much to lose as long as the outcome doesn't affect our performances in the next few games. I reckon that our best hope of taking anything from the game is to sit in and try and frustrate them. Whether we have the personnel to do that is another thing altogether. Lose an early goal though, and it could end being a very long afternoon.

If nothing else, this fixture may help show up the areas of our squad which will need attention in the next few weeks if we are to see the team move in the right direction up the table.

To be honest to a degree we already know. The wide areas and supply from that area are a disaster, I would get rid of all our  wide players if possible bar Lang ( I know it’s not that easy). We need Carroll back as soon as possible along with another centre half in my view. We then have the debate on a central striker with an eye for goal and just how much the loss of Turnbull will impact. I’d be amazed if the Celtic game is anything other than a heavy defeat, they will be stinging from the criticism from Lennon and will batter us.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

To be honest to a degree we already know. The wide areas and supply from that area are a disaster, I would get rid of all our  wide players if possible bar Lang ( I know it’s not that easy). We need Carroll back as soon as possible along with another centre half in my view. We then have the debate on a central striker with an eye for goal and just how much the loss of Turnbull will impact. I’d be amazed if the Celtic game is anything other than a heavy defeat, they will be stinging from the criticism from Lennon and will batter us.

Yes, I think most of us know where we need improving, but does Robinson? I think we have been a little unlucky with injuries, especially at left back, but we have been found wanting on too many occasions and it has cost us points. I agree that another centre half would be a priority. Someone akin to an Aldred or Hartley to add steel and leadership beside Gallagher, or as a replacement should we receive a decent offer for him. Up front I also agree that our wide players aren't cutting it. I do feel that Long, Lang and Watt have the ability for this level and it is probably unfair to judge White at this early stage but it is possible that he will never make the step up. Seedorf has shown signs of improvement but we are not in the position to be able to give him too many games to see if this will continue. Hastie looks off the pace and if Hylton is considered behind those options then he probably isn't the answer. I think that, in the search for versatility in our attacking options, we have ended up with a number of jack of all trades who can fill in a number of positions but who fail to excel at any of them.

Very good post from The African.

Re tomorrow. Although expecting a loss I do feel that Thursday night will have given the team a lift . Consequently I'm anticipating an organised and disciplined performance . Also see the ' runners' Long and Lang causing an already troubled Celtic defence some problems.

Factor in the absence of Eduard and you know what we might not be that far away from taking something.