Season 2020’21: Game 6 Celtic (away)

Spiderpig

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

I guarantee you we'll finish in the bottom four and will not be clear of automatic relegation by the split. If you disagree, I'll wager £50 to be paid to your favourite charity we finish above 9th and are mathematically safe from finishing bottom after 33 games...

You're on my friend! 8th and above, £50 to a charity of my choice, 9th or worse, £50 to a charity of yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is we are always likely to have one or two players making mistakes at crucial times and it seems to cost us every time.

I saw we were 1-0 down and looked at the stats. Celtic 1 shot at goal ! 

I do not mind losing a game if the opposition are peppering our goal but we seem to concede far too often when opponents have just a handful of shots on goal. We never seem to have a game where opposition has 12 shots on goal and we have 2 and we win 1-0. 

Did not expect anything from Celtic Park but need to try and take 6 points from next 12 on offer. Will not be easy but if we do that we should not be at the bottom or at least within a point of teams above and we can start over again 2nd round of fixtures. 

Not going to over analyze this one as most of us expected this result. However, the mistakes we made would have lost us any game, and has been the story of our season. I assume it was O'Hara that lost his man for the 2nd goal, which is also something he seems to do. 

Going forward we didn't offer much, and our best chance of taking anything from the game would have been 0-0. 

Grimshaw did well against forest, but was lost against Frimpong. O'donnell was also shaky.

We never seemed to be in the game after their goal, so I didn't have a problem with the substitutions at the time, it was worth a try, but they didn't work. 

Didn't expect anything from today but frustrating none the less. How can we pass the ball in nice little triangles when under immense pressure on the edge of our own box yet when under no pressure at all we can't control, pass or resort to knocking the ball aimlessly out the park? We limited them to very little yet in the end of looks like a drubbing. 

Our problem is that Celtic didnt beat us today because they are so much better than us, they won today because offensively we are unable to lay a glove on the opposition and defensively we are guaranteed to throw at least 1 in our own net EVERY FUCKING GAME. 

Because they ARE much better, they should have scored 5, probably more, but we were let off the hook in that respect.

Our form is an absolute disgrace. A manager at any other club in world would have 1 foot out the door at this point, if not gone already. Instead, ours is bulletproof and probably looking at spending some of our recently gained money on yet more utter shite to add to our squad. We are bottom of the table, and arent going anywhere anytime soon. Its a fucking shambles

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shaka said:

Our problem is that Celtic didnt beat us today because they are so much better than us, they won today because offensively we are unable to lay a glove on the opposition and defensively we are guaranteed to throw at least 1 in our own net EVERY FUCKING GAME. 

Because they ARE much better, they should have scored 5, probably more, but we were let off the hook in that respect.

Our form is an absolute disgrace. A manager at any other club in world would have 1 foot out the door at this point, if not gone already. Instead, ours is bulletproof and probably looking at spending some of our recently gained money on yet more utter shite to add to our squad. We are bottom of the table, and arent going anywhere anytime soon. Its a fucking shambles

Too early to be thinking of getting rid of Robinson.

7 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He continues with formations/team selections that don't work and are at best odd. 

Less of a valid criticism I feel over the last 2 games, where he has clearly changed the system. Hopefully with some players back from injury after the break we'll stick with the 2 up front.

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So what has he done that doesn't deserve the sack 

Pretty much everything up until this season. To sack a manager with his record, on our budget would have been pretty daft. Last season he outperformed every other manager at clubs on our level and one or two at a level above including the man you have mentioned as replacing him. His time will come in the end as it does with every manager, it always ends up about results, but we are not at that point yet.

37 minutes ago, milo said:

Not only bottom but potentially 6-8 points adrift.

:doh: Adrift of what, get a grip of yourself yes we are bottom but 2 wins and we could be up to fifth, its only 6 games in FFS, if we are still  bottom with 6 to go then worry but not now.

• Like 2

We didn't do too badly all things considered today although I think Robinson has changed the system too early in the match.  We were looking fine and then within minutes of going to four at the back we go 2-0.  Felt he should have just kept it as it was until the last 10 minutes or so.

Overall though 6 matches, 2 goals, 1 clean sheet and 2 points isn't good enough.

Need to see a big improvement in the second half of this quarter.

• Like 2

Failing to score in 5/6 league games puts any manager in a vulnerable position.

Today he started two strikers away to Celtic and our only shot on target was Grimshaw shovelling the ball straight to their goalie. It was painful watching Chris Long continually trying to run straight by their defenders and failing.

Scoring against 10 part timers means nothing. Unless we start scoring league goals soon Robbo and Harry will be gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Not really, coz you canny be relegated after 10 games. At that point you're in a "bottom of the table" battle if we must call it anything.

Absolutely no chance we'll be relegated or anywhere near it.

Well this summer told us you can be relegated after any amount of games! :lol:

I hope we improve but it's a bold claim to say we won't be 'anywhere near it' with our current numbers.

The thing that really concerns me is goalscoring. 

Failing to score in 5 out of 6 is pretty bad but it goes beyond that.  We've failed to score in 10 of our last 20 league matches and we've only scored more than 1 goal twice in that time.

Teams that don't score always struggle.

• Like 3

Hopefully there's plenty of work getting put in over the international break and we can come out much improved.its to early to push the panic button but if we put in another lacklustre performance against at Johnstone after having a break then the alarm bells will be ringing for me.

29 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Too early to be thinking of getting rid of Robinson.

If 2 wins in 16 league games is too soon to be having the discussion, you'll never be ready to talk about it. That includes two home defeats to Accies, a home defeat by St Mirren, losses away to St Johnstone and Ross County and a home defeat to a Dundee United side that just got skelped by Kilmarnock. 

These are statistics, not opinions such as 'his signings have been poor, he has made the wrong substitutions'. Without wishing to go all Rafa Benitez, these are facts. 

In his defence, facts also show we finished third last season. But had the season continued, that might not have been the case. 

While not disregarding his previous achievements at Fir Park, managers and players are judged on most recent performance. What's that old line 'you're only as good as your last game'?

I'm not saying sack him, but I don't think anyone having the conversation is out on a limb...

• Like 2