Big Dec

Jumbomuir

It’s a wake up call for Gallagher imo as sure he will be disappointed to be left out but his form needs to improve as nowhere near last years levels . He’s been left out to play McKenna who is a press daring for some reason although I think he’s hopeless , and a central midfielder and it’s not down to Scotland performances it’s his current form . Would hope he now steps up at club level and plays to last years standard and if he does he will stay in squad if he does not can see him disappearing from squad never mind team . He’s not only 1 below last years levels a few need to step up in the coming weeks but he’s Captain so needs to lead by example 

• Like 1

Just now, yosemite sam said:

Good be the responsibility of captaining the team is affecting him, perhaps it should be given to someone else, although I wouldn't know who.

Maybe. Or maybe it's to do with the fact we have 100% of our left backs out right now and we play a different defensive formation every week - including a back 3 which definitely doesn't suit Gallagher.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kmcalpin said:

McKenna?

I was thinking more like Robertson, McGregor, Forrest, McTominay, Armstrong, McBurnie etc.

We've been utter drivel for about 5 years so we need to start looking at the players instead of the manager.

Way, way too many players given 30% of their club form to Scotland.  There comes a time when poorer players putting more effort in, gives you better results than good players doing fuck all time and time again.

If you go back as far as the terrible defeat to Georgia, we pick big club players and they just don' t look interested.

• Like 2

If it was just the players' fault we wouldn't be seeing the same pattern repeat itself year after year for 20 years. The issue runs much deeper than that, and starts at the grass roots level.

I keep banging on about it , but when France had the problem of under performing teams, they put a ten year plan in place to develop players from the ground up. A plan they stuck with even after an early minor disaster of blowing a World Cup qualification in 1994. They followed it through and ended up with a national team that won the Euros and the World Cup.

Meanwhile, when Strachan took over the international job he went on record with his surprise at the squads' poor technical skills and how he had to quickly dumb-down the tactics he wanted to use because the players were incapable of executing.

Once the rot sets in, it takes more then swapping in new players to fix it. The whole system needs shaking up and there has been nobody in the SFA with the courage to change it. That's how you end up with Malky Mackay as the performance director for the past 4 years. (Any idea what he does? Me either.)

We don't have the infrastructure in place to develop international teams, and I don't see anything that makes me think there is appetite for change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it was just the players' fault we wouldn't be seeing the same pattern repeat itself year after year for 20 years. The issue runs much deeper than that, and starts at the grass roots level.
I keep banging on about it , but when France had the problem of under performing teams, they put a ten year plan in place to develop players from the ground up. A plan they stuck with even after an early minor disaster of blowing a World Cup qualification in 1994. They followed it through and ended up with a national team that won the Euros and the World Cup.
Meanwhile, when Strachan took over the international job he went on record with his surprise at the squads' poor technical skills and how he had to quickly dumb-down the tactics he wanted to use because the players were incapable of executing.
Once the rot sets in, it takes more then swapping in new players to fix it. The whole system needs shaking up and there has been nobody in the SFA with the courage to change it. That's how you end up with Malky Mackay as the performance director for the past 4 years. (Any idea what he does? Me either.)
We don't have the infrastructure in place to develop international teams, and I don't see anything that makes me think there is appetite for change.

Isn’t that the “project brave” meant to do. So far tierney, gilmour and Turnbull have came through it. But whether or not that’s due to the structure or them just being talents is yet to be seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was thinking more like Robertson, McGregor, Forrest, McTominay, Armstrong, McBurnie etc.

We've been utter drivel for about 5 years so we need to start looking at the players instead of the manager.

Way, way too many players given 30% of their club form to Scotland.  There comes a time when poorer players putting more effort in, gives you better results than good players doing fuck all time and time again.

If you go back as far as the terrible defeat to Georgia, we pick big club players and they just don' t look interested.

If they weren't interested they would retire

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

The issue runs much deeper than that, and starts at the grass roots level.

I remember going to Scotland games when I was wee and Hampden was always bouncing, I went to the last half dozen or so pre-covid and I was surrounded by people that would make Yodo look like an optimist, and they were generally very depressing experiences (football aside). You hear it time and again in interviews with players, how the pressure and scrutiny from the fans and press is detriment to their game when with Scotland. Cue the “they’re professional footballers, they should be able to handle the pressure” comments, but it’s undoubtedly a factor. 

I think if more people could actually support their national team, as oppose to criticise it for not being as good as they want it to be, we’d see somewhat of an improvement. See Ireland, who in recent years have qualified for tournaments and out performed us with an inferior set of players but had buy-in from the whole country. Unlikely to ever happen, I know. 

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

I remember going to Scotland games when I was wee and Hampden was always bouncing, I went to the last half dozen or so pre-covid and I was surrounded by people that would make Yodo look like an optimist, and they were generally very depressing experiences (football aside). You hear it time and again in interviews with players, how the pressure and scrutiny from the fans and press is detriment to their game when with Scotland. Cue the “they’re professional footballers, they should be able to handle the pressure” comments, but it’s undoubtedly a factor. 

I think if more people could actually support their national team, as oppose to criticise it for not being as good as they want it to be, we’d see somewhat of an improvement. See Ireland, who in recent years have qualified for tournaments and out performed us with an inferior set of players but had buy-in from the whole country. Unlikely to ever happen, I know. 

Your hands no sore wae all that clapping 

On 9/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, Ya Bezzer! said:

Just seen this and I couldn't disagree more. Having watched Scotland, the u21s and our dire game today it's pretty clear that the problem is playing at far too slow a tempo which allows the opposition to set their defence.

All our youth development is about possession now which has left us producing decent midfielders but no attacking players at all. The players clearly need to be coached how to attack and Clarke, Gemmill and Robinson have no aptitude at that at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

This hasn't aged well at all

Ha - I was thinking this last night. 

I'm reasonably convinced O'Donnell is a good standard for our team.   I don't believe having a back 5 or him being some pseudo right mid works though.

I'm a fan of 4 at the back , 2 wing backs and 2 in the centre.  I think we'd see a more settled defence, including ODonnell and Gallagher.   The other spots are up for debate. 

There could be a variety of reasons for Gallagher’s loss of form but the absence of Hartley’s influence can’t be underestimated. While Hartley was far from flawless, he did a good job of talking those around him through the game. 

As for O’Donnell, he’s been terribly disappointing after his impressive debut at Easter Road. He’s always looked a wee bit out his depth for Scotland but I expected him to be a standout for us. Oneils40yarder was right all along. 

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

There could be a variety of reasons for Gallagher’s loss of form but the absence of Hartley’s influence can’t be underestimated. 

For all that he is comfortable on the ball

The fact that he is nowhere near as good a defender as some of the Motherwell fanboys thought he was cant be underestimated.

I've only just stopped laughing from when Weeyin tried to convince me he was similar to Alan Hansen