Big Dec

Jumbomuir

The key to getting the best out of Gallagher is probably as much to do with inding the right player o partner him at centre back. A so,I'd experienced operator like a fit Peter Hartley would take a fair bit of responsibility and pressure off and allow him to concentrate on his own performance. There is also a case for looking at the captaincy and maybe letting Carson take the armband for a few games. As our friend from Texas says, he is a good player and he will come good. We simply have to find a way to get to that situation sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, The African said:

The key to getting the best out of Gallagher is probably as much to do with inding the right player o partner him at centre back. A so,I'd experienced operator like a fit Peter Hartley would take a fair bit of responsibility and pressure off and allow him to concentrate on his own performance. There is also a case for looking at the captaincy and maybe letting Carson take the armband for a few games. As our friend from Texas says, he is a good player and he will come good. We simply have to find a way to get to that situation sooner rather than later.

Think to achieve that we have to go back to a flat back four, IMO this would also help O’Donnell as he’s never a wing back, doesn’t know wether to stick or twist 

There’s no doubt that he’s not played as well this season after setting very high standards last, however anyone suggesting he gets dropped needs to take a good look at the alternatives.....

He’s still by far our best defender and will come good, just need to find a stable back 4 with the right partner for him. If Dunne can ever regain his fitness he may be the best fit we have.  If all were fit I’d like to see a back 4 of O’Donnell, Gallagher, Dunne and Carroll. 

12 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Think to achieve that we have to go back to a flat back four, IMO this would also help O’Donnell as he’s never a wing back, doesn’t know wether to stick or twist 

Certainly wouldn't disagree with that. We need to find a system and formation that all our players are comfortable and best suits their abilities. I feel that the loss of Donnelly has probably prompted the move to a back five. His defensive sweeping in front of our back four was a big factor in our success last season.

9 hours ago, The African said:

Certainly wouldn't disagree with that. We need to find a system and formation that all our players are comfortable and best suits their abilities. I feel that the loss of Donnelly has probably prompted the move to a back five. His defensive sweeping in front of our back four was a big factor in our success last season.

I suspect the move to 352 was prompted by all of our wingers being shite and none of our strikers being able to play the lone striker role...

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Declan must be in with a shout of starting tonight. With Tierney and McKenna out, the other centre half options tonight are Cooper, Porteous and er, McTominay...

Not much competition for O’Donnell either with Palmer and Forrest out. 

I generally love seeing Motherwell players get international recognition but neither of them are playing well enough at the moment 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I generally love seeing Motherwell players get international recognition but neither of them are playing well enough at the moment 

When did Scotland start this " you have to be playing well to get an international start" initiative,  is this something new from the SFA?

• Like 1

I just love the fact that, after years of complaining about the bias shown when overlooking our players for international duty, we've reached the point where the same fans are complaining the ones that are selected don't deserve it.

• Like 2

Have we ever had 2 players playing at the same time in the full Scotland Team ?

To be fair Gallacher would be better than McTominay at CB.  If Clarke comes up with 3 at the back now with no Tierney then he is not the man for the job for me. 

I am thinking these players missing may be a blessing in disguise if he now plays a 4-4-2 0r 4-5-1.