Big Dec

Jumbomuir

What a week with outstanding contributions from Gallagher and O’Donnell over all 3 games. At a time when good defending at all levels appears to be on short supply, it’s refreshing to see such a well drilled performance. Credit to Clarke and the players. 

Hopefully we can rest Gallagher and O’Donnell prior to Belgrade. 

5 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

The reason I started this thread was when Dec didn't get a sniff. The big question is if Mckenna and Tierney were available would he have played?? 

For last week's game, Clarke said he was unlikely to be a starter.

What he does now is anyone's guess.

12 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

The reason I started this thread was when Dec didn't get a sniff. The big question is if Mckenna and Tierney were available would he have played?? 

McKenna and Tierney wouldve started in front of Dec and on this seasons form he couldnt have argued. Stevie Clark has a big decision to make now in November though. If Tierney is fit and turns up you have to think he will play either left CB or at RB just due to his quality. But you have to think Dec has played himself into the central role. Obviously not a Motherwell player, but I think big Considine has given himself a right good chance as well. Ive always thought he was better than McKenna. Also though O'Donnell gained a lot of credit last night after a ropey first game and improving 2nd game. Should make the squad and will get game time in Slovakia or Israel but might be vulnerable for the Serbia game.

Just listening to the "experts"on the Sportsound podcast last night, they all wanted O'Donnell to start against Serbia. Levein fancied Gallagher in the middle with McKenna on the left of the back 3 (as he reckons we'll need some big defenders to take on their strikers). Miller fancied McKenna central and Tierney on the left.

It would be tough on Dec if he was dropped (5 games, 4 clean sheets, 1 goal conceded, unbeaten), but there's a lot of competition in the back 3 when everyone's fit.

He's certainly staked his claim in the best way possible.

I would keep same back 3 as last night and have Robertson and Tierney as wing backs.  Also I know it wont happen but i would make McGinn the new captain. I feel Robetson has struggled with the added responsibility whereas it certainly didnt affect McGinn,  if this allows Robertson to get his liverpool form then it's a win win 

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I would keep same back 3 as last night and have Robertson and Tierney as wing backs.  Also I know it wont happen but i would make McGinn the new captain. I feel Robetson has struggled with the added responsibility whereas it certainly didnt affect McGinn,  if this allows Robertson to get his liverpool form then it's a win win 

I hate playing full backs/wing backs on their wrong side. Much easier to defend against (just show them the outside) and players on the wrong side naturally drift into the wrong position.

One reason Gallagher and O'Donnell have played well the last few games is because they are playing in their regular positions. The main reason McTominay struggled is that he wasn't. I understand the desire to get Tierney and Robertson into the same team - it's just unfortunate they both excel in the same position.

Clarke will know what we are up against, though, and he's certainly earned the right to pick whatever teams he thinks will do the business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I hate playing full backs/wing backs on their wrong side. Much easier to defend against (just show them the outside) and players on the wrong side naturally drift into the wrong position.

One reason Gallagher and O'Donnell have played well the last few games is because they are playing in their regular positions. The main reason McTominay struggled is that he wasn't. I understand the desire to get Tierney and Robertson into the same team - it's just unfortunate they both excel in the same position.

Clarke will know what we are up against, though, and he's certainly earned the right to pick whatever teams he thinks will do the business.

Agree

Lets just play players in their right positions!!!

If you’ve got 2 good players for the same position make a decision on which one is the best for the team.

Remember Jimmy Greaves for England in ‘66 World Cup, best goal scorer in the country at the time but wasn’t selected 

If a decision has to be made Clarke needs to grow a pair and make it. 

5 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

With Dykes missing the next match I’d be tempted - dispute my dislike of him -  to bring Lee Griffiths in if he continues to get game time at Celtic.  

He's available for the Serbia game then he's out for Slovakia and available for Israel.

It's a shame we didn't get him from QOTS when we were linked before Livi signed him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

With Dykes missing the next match I’d be tempted - dispute my dislike of him -  to bring Lee Griffiths in if he continues to get game time at Celtic.  

If Griffiths is fit and playing, I'd have him up front with Dykes. He's one of those players that you always feel is going to score against you when he plays us and despite whatever your personal views on him are, he's the best natural finisher we have as a nation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stu92 said:

If Griffiths is fit and playing, I'd have him up front with Dykes. He's one of those players that you always feel is going to score against you when he plays us and despite whatever your personal views on him are, he's the best natural finisher we have as a nation.

Dropping Fraser?  If not it could be a long night as  our midfield struggles enough with the numbers they have without taking one of them out

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Interesting to read in today's Sun that Provan expects Mckenna and Tierney to walk straight back in on Thursday, we shall see. 

I've listened to a few pundits on discussing the Scotland line up the past couple of weeks. The majority went for Gallagher with about half wanting McKenna to replace Constantine. Interestingly, the vast majority wanted O'Donnell to start.

There's no doubt Gallagher was second choice, but he did exactly what Clarke asked all the backups i.e. make themselves difficult to drop. After that, it's in the hands of Clarke.

I think dec will start in the 3 with cooper or McKenna to left with mctominay to right. Tierney I think can only get in at rwb in place of odonnell. we need some height to combat their big players at set pieces plus to give us a threat there in attack so 3 big cbs plus dykes for aerial threat. If tierney plays cb that means only 3 big players which I think would not be enough to combat them.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

He plays left wing back, not part of the back 3

If anyone is going to play wing back it will be Tierney, as he's played there are few times for Arsenal.

I can't see Robertson starting anywhere except left back. (But then again, I couldn't see McTominay playing in defence).

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

If anyone is going to play wing back it will be Tierney, as he's played there are few times for Arsenal.

I can't see Robertson starting anywhere except left back. (But then again, I couldn't see McTominay playing in defence).

Eh?

Tierney has played Left side of a back 3 for Arsenal, thats not Wing Back! Left Wing Back is the full back in a 3-5-2

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Left wing back, left back and left central defence are all different positions.  In your scenario Tierney would be left central defence and Robertson would be left wing back.  We wouldn’t play with a left back.