Big Dec

Jumbomuir

Interesting that they seem to think O’Donnell has some sort of clause in his contract, I’m pretty sure it’s just until the window, so he’d be a free agent then anyway.

I doubt either he or Gallagher will get the exposure they’re getting now, so they might get themselves a good move out of it that they wouldn’t have got otherwise. 

37 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Interesting that they seem to think O’Donnell has some sort of clause in his contract, I’m pretty sure it’s just until the window, so he’d be a free agent then anyway.

I doubt either he or Gallagher will get the exposure they’re getting now, so they might get themselves a good move out of it that they wouldn’t have got otherwise. 

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/08/13/stephen-odonnell-signs-for-motherwell/

O’Donnell’s contract has the option to extend the deal until the end of the season. 

I can't see O'Donnell staying and quite frankly I never expected him to do so. Big Dec's stock has risen due to his international escapades and I'm not surprised that the hawks are circling, but I don't think he'll move on until the end of the season. I wouldn't sell him for less than £500k in the January window and I can't see any interested parties offering that in January. As always, time will tell though.  

I think when he was offered a new contract in the summer the astute people at the club may have added in a few clauses. Remember Cedric seemingly getting a new deal every week or so, that was done to ensure a ROI. Based on how the club have performed behind the scenes I'd be surprised if there wasn't some nice wee deal in place.

Of course from big Decs perspective the interest in him has stemmed mostly from his Scotland performances and with no more games for quite a while he might think that it’s best to strike while the iron is hot as anything could happen form or injury wise between  now and when his contract ends.

Would love to see him stay for the rest of the season though even if it means getting nought for him.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, Goggles & Flippers said:

I think when he was offered a new contract in the summer the astute people at the club may have added in a few clauses. Remember Cedric seemingly getting a new deal every week or so, that was done to ensure a ROI. Based on how the club have performed behind the scenes I'd be surprised if there wasn't some nice wee deal in place.

My soothsaying is now reported in the Daily Rag 5 days ago https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/declan-gallagher-wants-dream-celtic-23261948

Gallagher, 29, is out of contract in the summer but is just six games away from triggering a one-year extension to his deal.

The player feels the extension – which kicks in when he plays 25 league matches this season – will scupper any hopes of a big move with Aberdeen, Hibs, Blackburn Rovers and the Hoops all monitoring his situation.

Gallagher, who starred for Celtic as a youth team player but never made the first team, is desperate not to play the extra six matches - he’s currently on 19 games this season - that will trigger the extension.

The player and his family are passionate Celtic supporters and have their hearts set on a Parkhead return as a seasoned international.

With Christopher Jullien out for up to four months, loan signing Shane Duffy failing to convince and Nir Bitton facing a suspension after his red card at Ibrox on Saturday, Celtic are in need of defensive cover. 

He was at Celtic between the ages of 15 and 20 and played in the youth team alongside James Forrest.

A source close to Gallagher said: “He is desperate to play for Celtic and in the current climate, he would be a brilliant signing.

“But with this contract and the automatic extension, he feels he has a gun to his head.”

"A source close to Gallagher" .... that reeks of the horses mouth, he's hardly a shy retiring wallflower. Of course he doesn't want to be tied as we're hardly riding the crest of a wave but he needs to be sure he's gonna get regular appearances otherwise he's not going to get the start in the Euro's he now expects.

Do I blame him for angling to move for more money? Nope, but the way he does it is as disrespectful as he pulled someone up on twitter for.

47 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

My soothsaying is now reported in the Daily Rag 5 days ago https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/declan-gallagher-wants-dream-celtic-23261948

"A source close to Gallagher" .... that reeks of the horses mouth, he's hardly a shy retiring wallflower. Of course he doesn't want to be tied as we're hardly riding the crest of a wave but he needs to be sure he's gonna get regular appearances otherwise he's not going to get the start in the Euro's he now expects.

Do I blame him for angling to move for more money? Nope, but the way he does it is as disrespectful as he pulled someone up on twitter for.

Well he signed the contract, extension clause included. If he's as good as he thinks he is, he'll get a well deserved move in the summer and we'll get a decent fee, appropriate to a good player with 12 months left on his contract. 

• 2 months later...
52 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Any explanation from the pundits for Gallagher's omission?

Mysterious injury, row with Clarke and toys out the pram again, or maybe Clarke realises that he's not as good as Gallacher thinks he is.

He needs to get used to bench warming, as I suspect he will be doing lots of it for the rest of this season.

• Like 1