Big Dec

Jumbomuir

10 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Can we knock the feigning injury chat on the head? No mileage in that whatsoever.

Unless the ridiculousness of it is being used to make a reasonable question sound equally ridiculous.

But the contract isn't even the real point here. I'm just staggered that people read/hear "something" and their take is, told you there was nothing.

Actually, I'm not. Happens all the time.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:24 AM, Onthefringes said:

I’m glad you’ve cleared that up :blink:

Aye, mibbe I'll try it in English...

Take a reasonable question - was there a trigger clause in his contract? Then attach the 'feigning injury' bit to it, as if there couldn't be a clause without that add on. Then it's no longer a reasonable question, it's a conspiracy theory. Which you can wheel out every time the issue comes up and make the whole thing sound ridiculous.

Still doesn't answer the original question, one way or another. Neither does the fact both player and manager speak about "something" in the contract. Yet some folk use that as proof positive they were right, there was never anything in the contract.

I've yet to see proof of anything, other than people are determined to believe what they want to believe, and nothing anyone else says will sway their opinion. That's no surprise, so it shouldn't really bug me. But it does.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Take a reasonable question - was there a trigger clause in his contract? Then attach the 'feigning injury' bit to it, as if there couldn't be a clause without that add on. Then it's no longer a reasonable question, it's a conspiracy theory. Which you can wheel out every time the issue comes up and make the whole thing sound ridiculous.

Still doesn't answer the original question, one way or another. Neither does the fact both player and manager speak about "something" in the contract. Yet some folk use that as proof positive they were right, there was never anything in the contract.

I've yet to see proof of anything, other than people are determined to believe what they believe, and nothing anyone else says will sway their opinion. That's no surprise, so it shouldn't really bug me. But it does.

And that’s always been my argument. The people stating there was a clause were the same ones that then added the feigning injury line, he then needed to be kept out of the first team even thought he was club captain and when fit the obvious choice,  it literally grew arms and legs bases on next to nothing other than a line in a less than reputable rag. I get the argument that the club should make a statement but I’m not at all bothered if they choose to stay quiet on a players contract details, even if it’s just a denial.       

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I've yet to see proof of anything, other than people are determined to believe what they believe, and nothing anyone else says will sway their opinion. That's no surprise, so it shouldn't really bug me. But it does.

If this is aimed at me, I wasn't using it as proof positive I was right. My stance the whole time is that the whole thing has been blown out of proportion and that although the timing of the injury was suspicious, it is nothing more than that. From what the player and manager said, there was something in the contract however none of us are privy to that info, and any suggestions of what that something was are pure guess work.

like you said, you haven't seen proof, none of us have, he has now played this magical 26th game, the club are sending him flowers on the birth of his child and there doesn't appear to be any bad blood from anyone inside the club.

that is enough for me to suggest it was blown way out of proportion  by the fans, whatever it was.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

If this is aimed at me, I wasn't using it as proof positive I was right. 

It was aimed at Viva Motherwell, who did say the contract claim was now confirmed as false. You shared their post and said "Well well well". If, by that, you meant there's still no proof either way, fair enough.

We're in agreement about the injury. The story coinciding with the peak of a shit season wouldn't have helped folk's perspective. Nor would Robinson's statement that unnamed players didn't want to be at Fir Park.

13 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

And that’s always been my argument. The people stating there was a clause were the same ones that then added the feigning injury line, he then needed to be kept out of the first team even thought he was club captain and when fit the obvious choice,  it literally grew arms and legs bases on next to nothing other than a line in a less than reputable rag. I get the argument that the club should make a statement but I’m not at all bothered if they choose to stay quiet on a players contract details, even if it’s just a denial.       

Some people did question if there was a issue over his contract without making accusations about anything else. Like you say, it grew arms and legs. If it was me  newspapers or fans were spreading damaging rumours about, I'd have something to contribute to the conversation, but it's Gallagher and the club's shout on that.

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Give O’Donnell the armband just now. 

35 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

truthfully I think Kelly is the one who behaves most like a captain.

S'OD is pretty quiet on the pitch (As is Gallagher )

Appreciate giving a loan signing would be a bit odd , personal view he's a natural captain.

I could agree with both, though I'd definitely lean towards Kelly if he was here longer term. O'Donnell is quiet - was he captain at Killie?

But I wonder if taking the captaincy off Gallagher at this stage, now he's back in the side, could just create a bigger, needless problem. We need (cliche alert) leaders throughout the team, and they're virtually non-existent, apart from Kelly.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

truthfully I think Kelly is the one who behaves most like a captain.

S'OD is pretty quiet on the pitch (As is Gallagher )

Appreciate giving a loan signing would be a bit odd , personal view he's a natural captain.

I’ve mentioned this before but Kelly has a look of Jamie Dolan, another good keeper.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:04 PM, wellwell91 said:

Correct … … Going by Saturday’s performance he was the weak link in the back 4 

To be fair, his injury had him out from when? Late January? Do we expect him to firing on all cylinders at the moment? I don't.

With this whole affair I think there are a few things everyone can agree on:

• There was a trigger clause in his contract, brought to public attention in a newspaper article (more about that below), known about in private before and confirmed by AB by what he didn't say at the AGM.
  • The trigger clause was a win win for both player and club, here is some extra money .... play well and you'll earn a move in Jan and we get a wee kickback. If not you get that extra money for 2 years, stability and we retain your services to next summer and get a larger sum or see out your contract till 2022 and retain an International defender in the squad.
  • He's not played as well as he did last season.
  • Most rational supporters will have no issue with a player looking to move to better themselves at a higher level, make more money or for family/geographic reasons. It is no more than you'd hope for yourself in your own career.
  • Most rational supporters will have no issue if a player conducts themselves with a degree of decorum and respect for their employer, especially if they are captain.
  • However, most rational supporters will have issue if a player looks too much like a mercenary and does their talking in a tabloid opposed to on the pitch.
  • The timing of his injury was unfortunate for fuelling conspiracy theorists and for retaining his Scotland starting position.
  • He will be boo'd by a significant amount of the home support upon his return in anything other than C&A, (if Reynolds is despite leaving under the best of terms then Dec has no chance).

I do have an issue with the club captain either under his own volition or at the direction of a representative to use a friendly hack to remind those of his availability and that in a few weeks time there would be a transfer fee required because he would then have 18 months left of his deal.

"Roll up! Roll up! this offer won't be here for much longer".

• Like 5

On 4/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, Lobey_Dosser said:

Give O’Donnell the armband just now. 

I see absolutely nothing in his play or manner that shows even the slightest bit of leadership on or off the park. Also during this season no one has came forward and grabbed the team by the scruff of the neck and rallied those around them, virtually every player has been waiting for someone else to do it. I have a feeling that GA will bring someone new into the club who he can trust to take on this role. Our last two captains have certainly not filled the role with any confidence if anything both went backwards

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I think your 3rd point is probably the most important here for all Well fans...however the Club, the Player and the Management Team feel...it will always be this...

• He's not played as well as he did last season.

You could say the same about a number of our players. I'm more interested in finding out why that's the case.

A series of small squalls resulting in a perfect storm?

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

I see absolutely nothing in his play or manner that shows even the slightest bit of leadership on or off the park. Also during this season no one has came forward and grabbed the team by the scruff of the neck and rallied those around them, virtually every player has been waiting for someone else to do it. I have a feeling that GA will bring someone new into the club who he can trust to take on this role. Our last two captains have certainly not filled the role with any confidence if anything both went backwards

Step forward Eddie Nolan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

My views also. O’Donnell is never captain material, indeed we don’t really have anyone in that squad who are. There are no ‘leaders’ that will shout, motivate and give instructions on the park and we haven’t had that for a while. Gallagher, like Hartley before him seems to be slightly out of his depth in the role.