Big Dec

Jumbomuir

9 hours ago, David said:

That's how it goes though, isn't it? He's gone from the captain and one of our best players to a total fraud who's cheating the club by pretending he's injured and someone who's refused to play another game until we remove a top secret trigger from his deal. All based entirely on media nonsense, which has never been mentioned by the outlet since.

Now certain sections of our fanbase are revelling in him not being played for Scotland, totally ignoring the fact that he's not started a game of football since January and probably isn't fit enough anyway. 

Oh wait, I forgot. He is fit. He's just kidding on that he isn't.

hi ya    you big decs da ??????

10 hours ago, David said:

He was pretending to be injured while he held the club to ransom until they removed the trigger from his contract without telling anyone! Keep up! ;)

I think the faking an injury stuff is nonsense, however it seems highly likely that there was a clause and now there's not. You just need to look at Alexander's comments when he first came in "I’ve read about Declan’s situation and we’ll assess it." Then when asked about the extension clause in February "I’m not going to get into details of contracts". The club was vague in their response at the AGM and the player has been vague in his responses on social media.

They've all had ample opportunity to provide clarity and for some reason have preferred to let bizarre rumours do the rounds instead. Fans don't expect to see contract fineprint, but a simple statement saying a "mutually beneficial deal has been agreed" would put an end to the idea that our club captain has shafted the club during a relegation fight. 

Its a strange situation. 

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that he was injured. In that regard it has been very unfortunate timing.  I think we can say with some small amount of confidence however that a clause that did exist no longer does. 

Naive as it may be the problem for me is that the Club Captain appears to have renaiged on an agreement. It may be an old fashioned belief but being a man of your word should be an important attribute of a club captain. Leading by example, putting the interests of the team above personal interest etc.  By doing this the worst that would have happened for Gallagher is that he played another season for Motherwell. A sacrifice maybe but not of the highest order (appropriate topic for Easter weekend). 

At best, play well in the Euro's and he would probably get his big move anyway, contract extension or not. 

I read somebody argue earlier that any one of us would do the same in his position. I would like to think I would not. Not because I am any kind of shining light but because I was brought up to belief that if you agreed to something, you did it!

As a club captain and as a leader I don't think he will be a loss but for a team like Motherwell his qualities as a player will be. 

Regarding Scotland, I would love to see him play. How often to we get to see two Motherwell players in a Euro bound Scotland team?

• Like 1

It’s something that’s grown arms and legs on here and seems to grow further limbs on a weekly basis based on what appears to be zero evidence. At times I think people pick and choose what they want to believe in the media, at times they seem to be complete frauds and then the next the fountain of all knowledge. The club and player have absolutely no obligation to make any comment on a contract and I would be furious if my employers did so with mine. I don’t believe it’s as simple as denying or confirming anything, everyone has a right to confidentiality. My staff team are constantly making things up and when anyone asks about another individual I always say the same thing ( in a very polite and carefully worded way) that it’s none of their business and remind them they would not want me discussing their life to others. I’m in the position of being aware of details others are not aware of and that comes with a responsibility, that exactly the same with those running the club.

Think about the sequence of events here.

Declan Gallagher has not been injured since joining MFC. Paper releases info about a supposed clause in his contract that will mean he would have to sign an extension to his contract after 25 games. 24 games into his career at MFC, Declan Gallagher is injured for the first time in his MFC career, meaning he won't reach 25 games, and trigger supposed extension clause. How convenient, if the clause is there. Gives him or his agent time to renegotiate the removal of said contract extension, and once done, injury can be cleared up and he can start to play again.

I don't want to know the ins and outs of his contract, just come out and say the paper information is incorrect, then end of story. We all move on, happily ever after.

32 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s something that’s grown arms and legs on here and seems to grow further limbs on a weekly basis based on what appears to be zero evidence. At times I think people pick and choose what they want to believe in the media, at times they seem to be complete frauds and then the next the fountain of all knowledge. The club and player have absolutely no obligation to make any comment on a contract and I would be furious if my employers did so with mine. I don’t believe it’s as simple as denying or confirming anything, everyone has a right to confidentiality. My staff team are constantly making things up and when anyone asks about another individual I always say the same thing ( in a very polite and carefully worded way) that it’s none of their business and remind them they would not want me discussing their life to others. I’m in the position of being aware of details others are not aware of and that comes with a responsibility, that exactly the same with those running the club.

I get what your saying, but we're not talking about gossip among co-workers. The fans are the backbone of the club and we're talking about an initial allegation that the club captain wasn't happy with his contract situation, then the bizarre theories about him faking an injury right in the middle of a relegation fight. Taking aside the injury nonsense, the allegations about the contract and all the rumour surrounding it go right to the heart of the captains commitment and / or the clubs competence to make watertight contracts and / or competence in dealing with 'difficult' players. Either that or the clause has never existed or  it's been a simple renegotiation which has left both the club and player happy, which I'm sure most the fans would be content with. Personally, I've got confidence in those that run the club and I think it's likely the situation is nowhere near as complex as folk are making out, so I'm not sure why the club or player don't quash those rumours. 

Your right that club are under no obligation to make any comment, yet they regularly do. Contracts are made public when players are first signed, often with details of extension options. The club regularly release statements via the site or via the manager that a player has been offered a new contract, or is in talks about an extension, or that the manager is going to speak to them about an extension. Let's not pretend contracts are top secret. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

The club and player have absolutely no obligation to make any comment on a contract and I would be furious if my employers did so with mine.

Normally speaking I'd agree Yorky but why was a statement made to the press to begin with? That kicked things off.

6 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

Think about the sequence of events here.

Declan Gallagher has not been injured since joining MFC. Paper releases info about a supposed clause in his contract that will mean he would have to sign an extension to his contract after 25 games. 24 games into his career at MFC, Declan Gallagher is injured for the first time in his MFC career, meaning he won't reach 25 games, and trigger supposed extension clause. How convenient, if the clause is there. Gives him or his agent time to renegotiate the removal of said contract extension, and once done, injury can be cleared up and he can start to play again.

I don't want to know the ins and outs of his contract, just come out and say the paper information is incorrect, then end of story. We all move on, happily ever after.

And don't forget Declan sitting at home playing the PlayStation while the rest of the squad are at Fir Park either playing or sat in the stand. 

It's not rocket science.

23 minutes ago, David said:

How has he "wrecked his Euro chances?"

By refusing to play because he didn't want to trigger an extension in his contract and costing himself a place in the team for a few months meaning Steve Clarke has picked Hanley, McKenna and McTominay ahead of him and now he might not even make the squad for the Euros at all let alone have a starting berth.

But you knew that'd be the answer. You just want another chance to write big paragraphs about how you won't see the forest for the trees because "BUT NOBODY HAS CONFIRMED IT!!!!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

By refusing to play because he didn't want to trigger an extension in his contract and costing himself a place in the team for a few months meaning Steve Clarke has picked Hanley, McKenna and McTominay ahead of him and now he might not even make the squad for the Euros at all let alone have a starting berth.

But you knew that'd be the answer. You just want another chance to write big paragraphs about how you won't see the forest for the trees because "BUT NOBODY HAS CONFIRMED IT!!!!"

You seriously think he was kidding on with his injury? Holy fuck.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Can you show me where in my post I said I thought he was kidding on with an injury?

I would imagine him and the club came to the agreement to both say he was injured if asked why he wasn't playing.

Would that mean he was kidding on?

There's a massive gulf here, some fans are fully supportive of Dec, nothing to see here, move along...and then there's a - (in my opinion only) - larger faction where he's been a conniving two-faced b'stard who's totally tried to work his ticket.

Said before, I haven't warmed to him at all...in fact, I'd gladly drive him to the airport to fly to Aberdeen...or Edinburgh.

Kinda bored with the debacle now to he honest.

26 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

There's a massive gulf here, some fans are fully supportive of Dec, nothing to see here, move along...and then there's a - (in my opinion only) - larger faction where he's been a conniving two-faced b'stard who's totally tried to work his ticket.

Said before, I haven't warmed to him at all...in fact, I'd gladly drive him to the airport to fly to Aberdeen...or Edinburgh.

Kinda bored with the debacle now to he honest.

This, but its only 5 games to go and we can move the discussion to the former players thread. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

This, but its only 5 games to go and we can move the discussion to the former players thread. 

Exactly...I'll always look back fondly with any international player we've had...regardkess of nationality...we have had that few...but Mr Gallagher won't be top of my memories...by a long chalk.

Regardless of what the truth is, there is no denying that Gallagher has slipped down the pecking order in the squad. With both Hanley and Hendry playing regularly with their clubs and now in possession of the jerseys, he will have a fight on his hands to get his place back. The squad might also need trimmed for the finals. Its not unreasonable to think that one or two of the 7 players able to play centre half from this week might not make the final cut. 

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Regardless of what the truth is, there is no denying that Gallagher has slipped down the pecking order in the squad. With both Hanley and Hendry playing regularly with their clubs and now in possession of the jerseys, he will have a fight on his hands to get his place back. The squad might also need trimmed for the finals. Its not unreasonable to think that one or two of the 7 players able to play centre half from this week might not make the final cut. 

Maybe cut a tall defender to make room for a midfielder starlet.

• Like 1