Fans back into stadiums

Great Balls of Shire

It's back to the who's the bigger fan. Plenty fans who have not yet bought their season ticket who are ruled out. Also well known there are a fair number of 'Well fans who don't make league games very often but attend Cup games almost religiously.

That said there is no solution here. I think it should probably have been an open ballot to those on the supporters database.

However...we can get substantially more than 2k in a 13k seater stadium.

1 hour ago, StirlingDosser said:

It's back to the who's the bigger fan. Plenty fans who have not yet bought their season ticket who are ruled out. Also well known there are a fair number of 'Well fans who don't make league games very often but attend Cup games almost religiously.

That said there is no solution here. I think it should probably have been an open ballot to those on the supporters database.

Balloting those who have stuck their hand in their pocket by buying a season ticket is the only way fairway to do it

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Balloting those who have stuck their hand in their pocket by buying a season ticket is the only way fairway to do it

Bit of a shit comment, what about the guys who can’t afford the up front cost of a ST but pay their money every home game?

What about the guy who pays weekly and also pays into the Well society?

It’s not “the only fair way to do it” just the easiest way to do it. 

6 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

I agree it's not the only fair way, but (as a non-ST holder but probably on the more generous end of the Well Society donation scale) I find it hard to be overly-critical here. They've never had to do this before, the situation is still changing almost daily, and regardless, it seems like a fairly well-established principle now that being a season ticket holder is no longer *just* about which gate you go in on a Saturday, but occasionally offers other advantages too.

2 hours ago, StirlingDosser said:

I'm imagining the club will be treating these two games a test events and be looking to get more people inside when the season kicks off.  Think you can accommodate 2000 without any extra permission being sought. If we'd asked for 5000 and made an arse of it we'd probably all be waiting a bit longer to get in.

39 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Bit of a shit comment, what about the guys who can’t afford the up front cost of a ST but pay their money every home game?

Bollocks , fans who can afford  the cash up front for a ST should always have 1st shout at tickets, they are the ones committing , especially when the numbers are limited as they are now due to covid.

Under normal circumstances there will never be any need for  ticket ballots to see Motherwell  so everybody who wants one will get one,  but until restrictions are lifted, needs must.

As for the fans who can't afford the full ST cost but patg each game they are not taking the same risk as ST holders, as if they miss a game for whatever reason they  don't lose out financially. So if we are only allowed 2k fans into the game and we have 2K ST holders its a no brainer who gets the tickets.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

I don't see how it's a shit comment at all...I never bought a book last season but have done for this one. Had a ballot came about when I didnt have a season ticket I'd have took it on the chin. 

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Bollocks , fans who can afford  the cash up front for a ST should always have 1st shout at tickets, they are the ones committing , especially when the numbers are limited as they are now due to covid.

Under normal circumstances there will never be any need for  ticket ballots to see Motherwell  so everybody who wants one will get one,  but until restrictions are lifted, needs must.

As for the fans who can't afford the full ST cost but patg each game they are not taking the same risk as ST holders, as if they miss a game for whatever reason they  don't lose out financially. So if we are only allowed 2k fans into the game and we have 2K ST holders its a no brainer who gets the tickets.

Only flaw in your argument there is we have close on 4k season ticket holders (or at least we did have in 2019/20) so no matter what the club does there will be winners and losers

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/08/08/season-ticket-sales-up-year-on-year/

I think fans with season tickets getting entered into the ballot is the easiest way of doing things,we do it for european games and cup finals where season ticket holders get first chance,I've never had a problem with that even when they games have came about when I didn't have a season ticket.im back to having a season ticket for this season and of course.i would love to be picked in the ballot but if not I'll be chuffed for the 2000 that do get the chance to get back to watching the football in person,the worst case scenario is hopefully were not that far away from all being back at fir park and that is something definitely worth looking forward to.

• Like 1

Can you apply for the ballot if you took up the standing order option for the season ticket?  fwiw, season ticket holders should always get first dibs at tickets IMO, once in a blue moon is there a ticket scramble for a Motherwell fixture. St mirren in the scottish a few seasons ago, Fortmartine last season would probably have been the same. 

Not sure why this wasn't split into Ballot for each game.

Everyone I have spoken to so far (small number no less) has plans to attend only one of the games due to prior engagements. Myself included.

I now have to enter a ballot hoping I get tickets for the correct day or I understand there is some mad swap shop happening. 

28 minutes ago, santheman said:

Only flaw in your argument there is we have close on 4k season ticket holders (or at least we did have in 2019/20) so no matter what the club does there will be winners and losers

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/08/08/season-ticket-sales-up-year-on-year/

Fair enough if there are more ST holders but the basic point is still valid,  the ballot should only be for them

23 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not sure why this wasn't split into Ballot for each game.

Everyone I have spoken to so far (small number no less) has plans to attend only one of the games due to prior engagements. Myself included.

I now have to enter a ballot hoping I get tickets for the correct day or I understand there is some mad swap shop happening. 

Taking a guess, but maybe the way they are doing it is to try guarantee every season ticket holder at least the offer of a game? There's effectively 4000 seats split over two games, and less than 4000 ticket holders. The easiest way is to allocate everyone at least one game - which is how I hope they are doing it (rather than 2000 fans getting both games and the remaining fans getting none). To try work preferences into that system becomes really complicated..... I think? 

• Like 1

If you don't get a ticket but want to be part of the game it's being broadcast in The Cooper and The Centenary.

Our Cooper and Centenary bars will also be open for home supporters from 12pm to 6pm and will be showing the match live. Entry will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Bar food and drinks will be available to purchase.

And if missing out on a ticket for a game against Queens Park or Annan is the worst thing to happen during the pandemic, then life's not too bad.

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

Taking a guess, but maybe the way they are doing it is to try guarantee every season ticket holder at least the offer of a game? There's effectively 4000 seats split over two games, and less than 4000 ticket holders. The easiest way is to allocate everyone at least one game - which is how I hope they are doing it (rather than 2000 fans getting both games and the remaining fans getting none). To try work preferences into that system becomes really complicated..... I think? 

That is how they are trying to do it.

You don't think it is really complicated giving people no choice in what dates they are able to attend but once you give them the date trying to shuffle around people who need shuffled?

I understand the club's issue with the ticketmaster system but why not shuffle folk around before giving them a ticket.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Has the prospect of away fans for all fixtures been discounted for now? I noticed there was only 200-odd at the Airdrie game yesterday. 

It certainly seems like it. There is basically no mention from anyone of away fans (that I have noticed).

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It certainly seems like it. There is basically no mention from anyone of away fans (that I have noticed).

I'm guessing it's partly just simpler to figure it out for our own fans, and partly because allowing away fans might mean having to reduce our own fan numbers by even more.

(On the Airdrie website, they still had tickets for sale on Friday, so looks like they were able to accommodate every home fan that wanted one and still have room for away fans)

• Like 1