Fans back into stadiums

Great Balls of Shire

2 minutes ago, TvTotherwell said:

That's fair enough if the home fans are able to take up all the allocation allowed by the LA but if they don't then it's a but annoying. 

Not sure if our allocation was 6500 and we have gave 2k to Hibs or that was a stipulation with the LA. 

No problem with that. I think St Johnstone can easily afford to exclude away fans. Perhaps Perth & Kinross Council had a say. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Sturgeon refusing to say when we can unrestricted crowds back. 

Complete contempt for football fans. 

No wonder she hates football fans and doesn't trust us , Wembley was a prime example.

6 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

... Or (depending on your point of view) taking care to protect public health when football fans have consistently shown that they're unwilling to follow basic guidelines

Nightclubs are reopening at full capacity before football stadiums. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Nightclubs are reopening at full capacity before football stadiums. 

That is what I find unfair here.

I’ve been generally supportive of restrictions and the Scottish governments handling of the pandemic but I fail to see how it can be deemed safer, in a Covid-safe sense, to allow people to cram into nightclubs where they will already be or will become drunk and inevitably drop their guard on social distancing than into a football ground which is more or less outside, with no alcohol on sale, sanitisation and cleanliness measures in place and numerous police/stewards in attendance to monitor the situation. 

I am as desperate as any to see the country get back to normal but I do feel that football fans have been dealt a tough hand on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

That is what I find unfair here.

I’ve been generally supportive of restrictions and the Scottish governments handling of the pandemic but I fail to see how it can be deemed safer, in a Covid-safe sense, to allow people to cram into nightclubs where they will already be or will become drunk and inevitably drop their guard on social distancing than into a football ground which is more or less outside, with no alcohol on sale, sanitisation and cleanliness measures in place and numerous police/stewards in attendance to monitor the situation. 

I am as desperate as any to see the country get back to normal but I do feel that football fans have been dealt a tough hand on this one.

I assume you're totally right about indoor events with people packed together (nightclubs / gigs / theatre etc) being more risky than outdoor sports like football, especially where alcohol is involved… but perhaps part of the thinking for doing it the way that’s been announced is to give arts / culture / nightclubs a bit of a break. They’ve been almost entirely closed since the start of the pandemic, whereas sport has been able to continue, albeit partially and with restrictions in place. On the basis that you can’t / shouldn’t (yet) let everything go with no restrictions, it’s arguably fair to let arts / culture go next - this sector has probably been the worst affected. If it means I can’t get to away games for a wee while yet, I’m ok if it means gigs can re-start.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I see St Mirren v Hearts game has been switched from Saturday to Monday 9th August in order to get a bigger crowd (Hearts fans) 

Unfortunately cannot see St Johnstone doing this?

The clubs only need to apply to the relevant local authority to have attendances greater than 5k that's the regs just now and won't change come 9th August.

I can't see any reasonable requests being turned down,  but the onus is on the clubs to make the request.

Highland Council allowed Ross County to welcome up to 300 St Johnstone fans last Saturday. However I believe that Perth & Kinross Council has stipulated that no Well fans should be admitted this weekend. I'm sure McDiarmid Park is larger than Victoria Park. Wheres the logic in that?

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Highland Council allowed Ross County to welcome up to 300 St Johnstone fans last Saturday. However I believe that Perth & Kinross Council has stipulated that no Well fans should be admitted this weekend. I'm sure McDiarmid Park is larger than Victoria Park. Wheres the logic in that?

No logic in it at all mate, in every ground in the country the fans are effectively outdoors , well ventilated etc, so as of the 9th of August as an extreme example you could  quite legally have say 6k people in a Park or on a beach enjoying the sunshine or just walking about the shops, but not sitting down at a football match without special  permission,  the whole thing is a nonsense. 

46 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Any news on tickets for Dundee? Apologies if I've missed this.

The latest on Dundee's website says "The club have made an application to the local authority for an increase in capacity in both of these stands and also for an allocation for visiting supporters in the Main Stand." Also says they will have a minimum of 5000 with no social distancing.

So looks like they are waiting for the official nod from the council.

55 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Are we fully open yet? Celtic and Rangers have both been given the green light for a full house, surely North Lanarkshire will follow suit? 

Glasgow City Council were never going to refuse any request from the uglies, leaving the decisions up to individual local authorities is nonsense, the Scottish government has removed the social distancing rules so why can't clubs get back to normal operations, it's a feckin shambles.

The government should either decide full crowds or continued restrictions applied to all clubs instead of the shambles we have now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Are we fully open yet? Celtic and Rangers have both been given the green light for a full house, surely North Lanarkshire will follow suit? 

If we had permission for 4500 ‘Well fans last week they are unlikely to go back on that. That is enough for us.  So we are open for business.

The only outstanding point is can we sit where we want (and get a pie)?

On 8/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, ohwulliewullie said:

I assume you're totally right about indoor events with people packed together (nightclubs / gigs / theatre etc) being more risky than outdoor sports like football, especially where alcohol is involved… but perhaps part of the thinking for doing it the way that’s been announced is to give arts / culture / nightclubs a bit of a break. They’ve been almost entirely closed since the start of the pandemic, whereas sport has been able to continue, albeit partially and with restrictions in place. On the basis that you can’t / shouldn’t (yet) let everything go with no restrictions, it’s arguably fair to let arts / culture go next - this sector has probably been the worst affected. If it means I can’t get to away games for a wee while yet, I’m ok if it means gigs can re-start.

Too sensible for this place.