Jump to content

Great Balls of Shire

Fans back into stadiums

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

How many smallpox passports are there in the world?

None now for obvious reasons, but they were certainly a thing at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/10/vaccination-passports-are-nothing-new-and-the-sooner-we-have-them-the-better

https://www.history.com/news/vaccine-passports-smallpox-scar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

I never argued the vaccine doesnt work.

Im asking what the vaccine passport adds.

Why is it necessary to prohibit non vaccinated people from large events? Surely any risk lies with them being not vaccinated, as is their choice. 

Non vaccinated are far more likely to catch the virus and pass it on. Non vaccinated are more likely to become seriously ill or die when they get the virus. I think everybody can agree on that.

But it is not purely about the non vaccinated attendee.  Non vaccinated are more likely to be hospitalised (Lots of stats published showing the dominance of non vaccinated admissions at present). When hospitals become overrun people die or at best operations/treatment for other conditions are cancelled. The bigger picture is the thing here, not sitting in your wee seat at Fir Park.

The scenes first time around when doctors in places such as Italy and the US had to decide which people to let die because hospitals could not cope or provide ventilators were harrowing. The UK almost got to that stage. I don't think any Government is wrong in trying to ensure a similar situation does not happen here as the virus continues to evolve.

Those that can be vaccinated and choose not to are not only endangering themselves, they are endangering the lives of vulnerable people, directly or indirectly. I think that is selfish. I'm not supporting that vaccination should be enforced, but if people opt not to be vaccinated as is their right, then I have no problem with them being excluded from specific events. That is the choice they must make.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

How many smallpox passports are there in the world?

None but there is a yellow fever vaccine passport that has been around for decades. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Non vaccinated are far more likely to catch the virus and pass it on. Non vaccinated are more likely to become seriously ill or die when they get the virus. I think everybody can agree on that.

But it is not purely about the non vaccinated attendee.  Non vaccinated are more likely to be hospitalised (Lots of stats published showing the dominance of non vaccinated admissions at present). When hospitals become overrun people die or at best operations/treatment for other conditions are cancelled. The bigger picture is the thing here, not sitting in your wee seat at Fir Park.

The scenes first time around when doctors in places such as Italy and the US had to decide which people to let die because hospitals could not cope or provide ventilators were harrowing. I don't think any Government is wrong in trying to ensure a similar situation does not happen here.

Those that can be vaccinated and choose not to are not only endangering themselves, they are endangering the lives of vulnerable people, directly or indirectly. I think that is selfish. I'm not supporting that vaccination should be enforced, but if people opt not to be vaccinated as is their right, then I have no problem with them being excluded from specific events. That is the choice they must make.

 

 

Im gonna have one more go at this, then Im done.

This is all very emotive.

We are no longer in the same position we were first time round. The vast majority of the population is now double vaccinated. Pretty much everyone who is vulnerable and elderly are double vaccinated. 

That being the case, the numbers of non vaccinated are low, and likely  to be young and less vulnerable. 

So, despite current high case numbers, we are not seeing the large numbers of deaths and hospitalisations we were previously.

So, looking at the bigger picture, anyone choosing not to get vaccinated is actually more of a risk to themselves than anyone else, because the majority are double vaccinated. 

Add to that, football stadia are outdoor venues. So if I go to a Scotland game at Hampden, I need a vaccine passport, but I will be able to go and sit in a restaurant with 20 friends sit indoors for 2 or 3 hours, laugh joke, get drunk and carry on and thats ok? I know which one is more likely to result in the sharing of any airborne virus.

I get that the government needs to be seen to do something to get on top of rising case numbers and encourage as many as possible to get vaccinated but this makes no sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im gonna have one more go at this, then Im done.

I get that the government needs to be seen to do something to get on top of rising case numbers and encourage as many as possible to get vaccinated .

Thank feck , because your giving me a sair heed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×