Jump to content

Great Balls of Shire

Fans back into stadiums

Recommended Posts

On 9/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, Spiderpig said:

Until we have a vaccine for covid or the virus transmission rates fall to zero or it goes away fans will get nowhere near a stadium this season.

I think I'd be more worried about any vaccine that is rushed through in a year than I would the actual virus itself, especially when you look at how long it's taken to safely develop vaccines in the past. 

That aside, the virus is going nowhere, so if we continue to approach it as we are we may as well forget getting back into football properly for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's neck and neck between a vaccine being approved and all of us catching the virus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many fans do you require in the stadium to make it viable (cost wise) with all the extra checks to make it work ??

York racecourse was going to be able to have 3K people in but turned it down because in normal circumstances they need 5K people through the gates before they make any money 

There is more to this than just letting people into the stadium. No refreshments No programme sellers Limited numbers in club shop to buy merchandise it all adds up to normal match day revenue that will be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think it's neck and neck between a vaccine being approved and all of us catching the virus.

Not for me it isn't. I'd rather catch a virus that there's a good chance I won't even know I have than take my chances with a vaccine that has been produced quickly and without the years of testing and research usually applied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC gossip:

 

Can see it now - Old Firm game as some sort of super spreader event for eejits; like a Trump rally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Not for me it isn't. I'd rather catch a virus that there's a good chance I won't even know I have than take my chances with a vaccine that has been produced quickly and without the years of testing and research usually applied.

Can you expand on that? What corners are being cut that would make it unsafe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Not for me it isn't. I'd rather catch a virus that there's a good chance I won't even know I have than take my chances with a vaccine that has been produced quickly and without the years of testing and research usually applied.

I meant that it's a coin toss whether a new vaccine is approved first or we all catch the virus first.

I'll follow the science and the scientists if we ever get a vaccine. If the scientists are happy enough to be vaccinated with it themselves, it's probably fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoF said:

Can you expand on that? What corners are being cut that would make it unsafe? 

Well, every other vaccine has taken years to create. Be it for flu, polio, whatever.

I'm no expert, but usually with something like a vaccine you're talking anything from four to six years of academic and in-lab research. Then there's three to five years of trials, including closely-monitored small-numbers human trials, then it usually takes a few years to gain regulatory approval after the process of independent scrutiny and investigation.

I know "technology" and all that, but if a vaccine hits shelves within a year or so of this virus becoming "a thing" I'd have to believe that some of the above-mentioned steps have been overlooked in favour of being first to provide the world with the answer.

This is like a pharmaceutical space-race of sorts. And it seems America is doing all it can to be first yet again, no matter what it takes.

So yeah, I'll be giving it a wide berth. I'd rather take my chances with a virus like Covid than run the risk of being part of a live testing phase for some quickly put-together answer to the pandemic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing fans in the grounds in Germany, Holland and France should have the SPFL demanding a better deal from the Scottish Government. 

Not having test events in August when we had very little virus was utter idiocy. The Scottish Government need start behaving like a real government and working on getting us back to normality rather than Sturgeon threatening to greet if everyone doesn't act like Covid is the plague. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steelboy said:

rather than Sturgeon threatening to greet if everyone doesn't act like Covid is the plague. 

:doh: Did you not bother watching the news when we were told day after day the number of people that have died due to covid, I guess not if you think its nothing to worry about.

The plague killed tens of millions, covid has killed over a million worldwide so as its a lower number does that not make it as serious, have a word with yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, David said:

Well, every other vaccine has taken years to create. Be it for flu, polio, whatever.

I'm no expert, but usually with something like a vaccine you're talking anything from four to six years of academic and in-lab research. Then there's three to five years of trials, including closely-monitored small-numbers human trials, then it usually takes a few years to gain regulatory approval after the process of independent scrutiny and investigation.

I know "technology" and all that, but if a vaccine hits shelves within a year or so of this virus becoming "a thing" I'd have to believe that some of the above-mentioned steps have been overlooked in favour of being first to provide the world with the answer.

This is like a pharmaceutical space-race of sorts. And it seems America is doing all it can to be first yet again, no matter what it takes.

So yeah, I'll be giving it a wide berth. I'd rather take my chances with a virus like Covid than run the risk of being part of a live testing phase for some quickly put-together answer to the pandemic.

Fair enough. I'll wait till the facts come out from credible sources before deciding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Seeing fans in the grounds in Germany, Holland and France should have the SPFL demanding a better deal from the Scottish Government. 

Not having test events in August when we had very little virus was utter idiocy. The Scottish Government need start behaving like a real government and working on getting us back to normality rather than Sturgeon threatening to greet if everyone doesn't act like Covid is the plague. 

The difference with these countries is that their  Test and Trace WORKS

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

The difference with these countries is that their  Test and Trace WORKS

Quarantine aside, is Track and Trace not working in Scotland? I think it’ll take time to prove but if you are suggesting France have a better system, they are approaching 10k cases a day and reported 46 deaths in the last 24 hours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, David said:

Well, every other vaccine has taken years to create. Be it for flu, polio, whatever.

I'm no expert, but usually with something like a vaccine you're talking anything from four to six years of academic and in-lab research. Then there's three to five years of trials, including closely-monitored small-numbers human trials, then it usually takes a few years to gain regulatory approval after the process of independent scrutiny and investigation.

I know "technology" and all that, but if a vaccine hits shelves within a year or so of this virus becoming "a thing" I'd have to believe that some of the above-mentioned steps have been overlooked in favour of being first to provide the world with the answer.

This is like a pharmaceutical space-race of sorts. And it seems America is doing all it can to be first yet again, no matter what it takes.

So yeah, I'll be giving it a wide berth. I'd rather take my chances with a virus like Covid than run the risk of being part of a live testing phase for some quickly put-together answer to the pandemic.

From what I have looked up a lot of the research has been carried over from the SARS and MERS vaccine programs which got pulled because of lack of funding.  So some of these vaccines have been built upon years of development of a similar virus. 

The Cambridge vaccine got put on hold due to a volunteer falling ill which highlights that companies aren't being reckless and cutting corners. 

If pharma companies were willing to put lives on the line on rushed vaccines there would have been one out already.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Quarantine aside, is Track and Trace not working in Scotland? I think it’ll take time to prove but if you are suggesting France have a better system, they are approaching 10k cases a day and reported 46 deaths in the last 24 hours.

 

Aye, but Sturgeon!!! :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Quarantine aside, is Track and Trace not working in Scotland?

One failing, and its a major one in all parts of the UK is that many individuals are not participating i.e. not giving contact details to pubs and restaurants; or perhaps giving false ones. Even if they can be traced they're not answering. Also, many folk don't have sufficiently modern/hi tech phones to use the system. The apps being promoted need to involve something like 70% of the population and we're nowhere near that level of sign up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CoF said:

Fair enough. I'll wait till the facts come out from credible sources before deciding. 

That's the best way to approach it.

16 minutes ago, DunnyMFC said:

From what I have looked up a lot of the research has been carried over from the SARS and MERS vaccine programs which got pulled because of lack of funding.  So some of these vaccines have been built upon years of development of a similar virus. 

The Cambridge vaccine got put on hold due to a volunteer falling ill which highlights that companies aren't being reckless and cutting corners. 

If pharma companies were willing to put lives on the line on rushed vaccines there would have been one out already.

Still, I think I'll wait a few years once it's available and see what the fallout is. It'll likely not be me or my age group (40 years old, healthy, no history of medical issues) that they try it out on first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

One failing, and its a major one in all parts of the UK is that many individuals are not participating i.e. not giving contact details to pubs and restaurants; or perhaps giving false ones. Even if they can be traced they're not answering. Also, many folk don't have sufficiently modern/hi tech phones to use the system. The apps being promoted need to involve something like 70% of the population and we're nowhere near that level of sign up. 

So the issue there is with compliance rather than the system. No doubt those individuals and businesses that disregard the rules will be the first to grumble if lockdown is tightened and/or the death rate shoots up. The only way we get out of this any time soon, and contemplate a return to sport stadiums,  is with widespread compliance.  

As for digital accessibility, the app is one piece of the jigsaw that will have 1,000,000 downloads by tomorrow. That’s not bad in a week. The bread and butter for now though remains the telephone calls, something Scotland appears to have worked better than England, with a localised in-house service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

So the issue there is with compliance rather than the system. No doubt those individuals and businesses that disregard the rules will be the first to grumble if lockdown is tightened and/or the death rate shoots up. The only way we get out of this any time soon, and contemplate a return to sport stadiums,  is with widespread compliance.  

As for digital accessibility, the app is one piece of the jigsaw that will have 1,000,000 downloads by tomorrow. That’s not bad in a week. The bread and butter for now though remains the telephone calls, something Scotland appears to have worked better than England, with a localised in-house service. 

There may also be issues with the system, I don't know. For the app to be successful in Scotland it will need about 3.8 million downloads. Thats a very ambitious but hopefully feasible target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF THE APP DOESN'T SEND EMAILS IN ALL-CAPS THEN NOBODY OVER THE AGE OF 60 WILL USE IT !!!!!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see our, non- football staff, Club directors and special fans? , are out there reinforcing the untrustworthy image of football in a pandemic.

I hope they get the message and get no where near the club transport home if it puts them in contact with the squad and football staff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×