On 9/9/2020 at 7:15 AM, Kmac said:

——————————-Carson

O’Donnell———Gallagher———Mugabi——-McGinley

—————————-Maguire

————O’Hara—-——————-Campbell——

————————-Polworth

——-——-Lang————————-Long

Could work.

Maguire should be playing that DM role, or at least getting a chance, but I just don't see Robinson picking him.

He's not had a single second of game time this term.

Big, big game for us.  Only Rangers have pumped St Johnstone this season so you can see it being a pretty grim struggle with one goal settling it.  Between them the teams have played 540 minutes of football and scored 1 goal.  And Motherwell and St Johnstone have conceded 36% of the penalties so far awarded in the league so perhaps, if there is a goal, it will come from the spot.

I think it'll be tight but St Johnstone have wins under their belt, scored more goals and conceded less so you have to have the old claret and amber lenses on to not have them as favourites.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Maguire is a centre half, the experiment to turn him into a premiership level defensive midfielder was doomed to failure from the outset. If he can’t get a game in his best position (and he couldn’t in the end at queens either) then it doesn’t hold out much hope of him being here much longer

So no centre half can play defensive midfield?  

He had 5 starts last season and played most of one match.

Out of those 6 we beat St Mirren  twice (remember when we could beat St Mirren?) lost away to Hibs and Celtic (where he got praise for his performance), and at home to Aberdeen and then came on in the 18th minute against Hearts where we drew 1-1.

So that's P6 W2 D1 L3 with most of the matches against city clubs, and mostly away from home.  

Overall Maguire has played 12 league matches for the club over 3 seasons. 

3 of those appearances amount to, literally, a few minutes of football, so in the 9 matches where he has started or got any amount of game time  how exactly have you come to such a firm conclusion that he is 'doomed to failure'?

Look at our form recent form and I'd be looking to maybe give other players a chance, just a chance, to show they can do better.  

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Maguire should be playing that DM role, or at least getting a chance, but I just don't see Robinson picking him.

He's not had a single second of game time this term.

Big, big game for us.  Only Rangers have pumped St Johnstone this season so you can see it being a pretty grim struggle with one goal settling it.  Between them the teams have played 540 minutes of football and scored 1 goal.  And Motherwell and St Johnstone have conceded 36% of the penalties so far awarded in the league so perhaps, if there is a goal, it will come from the spot.

I think it'll be tight but St Johnstone have wins under their belt, scored more goals and conceded less so you have to have the old claret and amber lenses on to not have them as favourites.

Agree Maguire should had had a chance this season.

With the injuries we’ve had  in central defence and holding midfield, it’s a surprise Maguire hasn’t featured at all. 

I wonder if we might look at Andy Halliday as an option for covering a few positions we’ve been short in? 

Hopeful we’ll get our first League win tomorrow, expect McGinley to start in a back four and maybe even Hastie to come back in. 

43 minutes ago, gee said:

I wonder if we might look at Andy Halliday as an option for covering a few positions we’ve been short in? 

Hopeful we’ll get our first League win tomorrow, expect McGinley to start in a back four and maybe even Hastie to come back in. 

The number of goals we've conceded hasn't been huge. Conceding 1 goal to Hamilton, Dundee United and Ross County isn't terrible at all.  For me, the issue is goalscoring. Not sure Halliday would help with that. 

Having said that, on the basis of this season, I'm not sure that Hastie would help with that either... 

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I would be going with

Carson

Gallagher Mugabi Lamie

O'Donnell Campbell Maguire Polworth McGinlay

Lang Watt

I know that this won't be the lineup though I don't know if it's a million miles away. We all know that Long and O'Hara will start, irrespective of form or suitability for the game...

I wouldn't be averse to giving Maguire an opportunity.  O'Hara has shown on occasion he can offer something, but more often than not, that has come with the relative protection offered by Donnelly and the gentle cajoling of Hartley behind him.

I'd explore the Long and Lang combination up front further though. 

I'm interested to see what McGinlay can bring and his inclusion should give us as balanced a backline as we've had all season. I thought he did reasonably well going forward at Dingwall as part of a back-four.  Let's see what he can offer with what in theory should be a little more licence to get up and down the wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoF said:

From what I've seen, McGinley's return is a real boost. Early days, but he looks confident and composed going forward. Looking forward to seeing him again. 

I thought we'd signed a dud with his performance vs Rangers, but he was very good against Ross County. Having him back will give us a lot more balance with him on the left and O'Donnell on the right.