Season 2020’21: Game 7 St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

White should have been off the park with the initial injury. We had enough on the bench, so there was no need to risk him. I hope he doesn't have a concussion, wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

He was showing signs running around as well. Arms drooping down and turning like a guy who had played 120 minutes rather than 12.

1 hour ago, The wee man said:

That was absolutely dire.

Cant't think of a single instance of one of our attackers being clean through.

A back five at home to St Johnstone, how we have fallen.

Lammie, he has to be dropped.  He cost us the game against livingston, and did his best to cost us today.  How on earth can Robinson think he is better than Barry Maguire.

Thank christ for Alan Campbell.

Heard that Stoke are sniffing about Campbell again

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Question is, do we switch to a back four to get Lamie out of the way even though the 352 keeps our shite wingers out of the team?  Do we shift O'Donnell into the back three and play Grimshaw and McGinlay at wing back?

None of these options are fantastic.  We need to try and figure out the lesser of all the evils...

I don't believe it's a 3-5-2 .  Today was 5-3-2.  Mcginley is not a player who'll go up and down the line. if we keep 3-5-2 we need to play Hastie and hope he comes good. 

I'd be cool with a 4 - 3 - 3 and just play Long/Watt/Lang together up front.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't believe it's a 3-5-2 .  Today was 5-3-2.  Mcginley is not a player who'll go up and down the line. if we keep 3-5-2 we need to play Hastie and hope he comes good. 

Long watt Lang sounds like the b side to the Neil Diamond hit Song Sung Blue!! Ba boom

36 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Hope that Hastie comes good? So you're wanting to persevere with a loan player til he finds form but you've decided that McGinlay is not a player who'll go up and down? 

People need to accept that bringing Hastie back was a horrendous error...

10 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hope that Hastie comes good? So you're wanting to persevere with a loan player til he finds form but you've decided that McGinlay is not a player who'll go up and down? 

Well Mcginley has to be better than Lamie in the back 3.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I’ve seen a few comments from Rangers fans saying they hope to see Hastie back at Ibrox soon. It’s one of the few times I’ve agreed with them...

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I think it was probably worth a shot, we needed someone out wide and to be fair he was still rated by a lot of Motherwell supporters. Sadly I think even at this stage he’s looking like someone that got a big move on the back of a short, hot streak.  I still feel McGinlay  could end up being a very good signing.

• Like 1

An important win.  Not massively dissimilar to some of the games that have gone against us Fir Park this season and nor in fact that dissimilar to when we sneaked a 1-0 against St Johnstone around this time  last year. 

We couldn't have asked for a better start with Campbell's well taken goal.  I can't really think of too many opportunities carved out to extend the lead but then they didn't exactly overwork Trevor Carson either with  the biggest threat to Motherwell conceding today being Motherwell ourselves.

Saints certainly did have spells of pressure, particularly in the second half but for the most part I thought we looked pretty comfortable (again self-harm attempts aside).  Of course there remain concerns. There wasn't a great deal of evidence of the getting crosses into the box that Robinson spoke of pre-match and we are still not looking as dangerous as we might when we get a set piece but it's a win and something to build on, even if we still find ourselves a the foot of the table.

• Like 1

I would  probably be described by some on here as a happy clapper but I found today quite depressing. We got a perfect  start but did not kick on from there. Our performance was no better than v Livi  Accies or DU. No pace in our team going forward. The lack of quality wingers has forced us onto 3-5-2. Hastie was a mistake and Hylton and Seedorf are no more than impact subs. Scott on one side to get us up the park and the speed of Cole or Aaron's  or Gboly on the other is what we are missing. Unless there are changes I see a relegation battle ahead. 

One positive was that Robinson often maligned for his subs got them right today. The game was slipping away from us and he saw the problem and shored up the midfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still plenty of flaws, but positives too. I thought we looked more dangerous in spells than we have in recent games. Particularly once we made the subs. White looks like he’s much better suited to that role off the bench than asa starter, I hope he’s okay. Watt and Lang done okay without really taking on their man. Defence was pretty untroubled, I thought Dec was looking improved too and Bev was pretty solid again. 

While it wasn’t pretty, the main thing was that we won. The monkey is off our back now. You could see us dropping deeper and deeper in the second half, I’d say more so a confidence thing than a fitness/tactical thing. Hopefully the more we grind out these shite wins, the better football we’ll start to play.

9 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Cash windfall?

Maybe it’s over egging it a little but the reality (or close to), is that between the two European ties, we will net close to 400k. Given that stadium costs were absolutely minimal for the first game and travel costs are a bare minimum for the second, it should leave us with a profit not a kick in the arse away from 300k, if the UEFA numbers discussed elsewhere on the forum are to be believed. 

Having re-watched the highlights and in the cold light of day, yesterday was absolutely dross (more so that at the time). We were crap for the vast majority. We’ve actively managed to sign worse players than last Term. Nothing against the guys personally but neither White nor Lamie should be anywhere near a team challenging for the top 6 (or at least with the intention of). We’ve got 3 wingers in the squad, none of whom are playing due to crap performances and we are absolutely blunt middle to front. We’ve all seen some duds at Fir Park, but this squad takes a bit of beating with the sheer volume. 
We’ve come into a substantial amount of cash given the Turnbull move which will fill a gap due to lack of match day revenue and will hopefully go towards a big infrastructure project to get everyone behind.

The flip side is that As supporters, you pay money to watch a good team on the park. 
In immortal words which I’ve not uttered at Motherwell since the dark days of Admin, it is time for the board to get the Cheque book out. 
A blind man with a cork leg could tell you that this squad has got relegation strugglers written all over it. Creaming in cash from European ties and a big player sale will mean nothing in the championship and we need to be proactive in avoiding the doomsday scenario. We’re badly lacking a senior leader in the squad and a number 10. I’m not saying we break the bank but doing nothing isn’t an option. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Maybe it’s over egging it a little but the reality (or close to), is that between the two European ties, we will net close to 400k. Given that stadium costs were absolutely minimal for the first game and travel costs are a bare minimum for the second, it should leave us with a profit not a kick in the arse away from 300k, if the UEFA numbers discussed elsewhere on the forum are to be believed. 

Having re-watched the highlights and in the cold light of day, yesterday was absolutely dross (more so that at the time). We were crap for the vast majority. We’ve actively managed to sign worse players than last Term. Nothing against the guys personally but neither White nor Lamie should be anywhere near a team challenging for the top 6 (or at least with the intention of). We’ve got 3 wingers in the squad, none of whom are playing due to crap performances and we are absolutely blunt middle to front. We’ve all seen some duds at Fir Park, but this squad takes a bit of beating with the sheer volume. 
We’ve come into a substantial amount of cash given the Turnbull move which will fill a gap due to lack of match day revenue and will hopefully go towards a big infrastructure project to get everyone behind.

The flip side is that As supporters, you pay money to watch a good team on the park. 
In immortal words which I’ve not uttered at Motherwell since the dark days of Admin, it is time for the board to get the Cheque book out. 
A blind man with a cork leg could tell you that this squad has got relegation strugglers written all over it. Creaming in cash from European ties and a big player sale will mean nothing in the championship and we need to be proactive in avoiding the doomsday scenario. We’re badly lacking a senior leader in the squad and a number 10. I’m not saying we break the bank but doing nothing isn’t an option. 

I'm not saying you are incorrect but the same squad might very well be challenging for a top six, or even a European place - oddly enough at the same time as trying to stay away from the foot of the table (split notwithstanding).

It looks already like Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen are going to pull away and that there isn't very much between the rest. A striker who can regularly find the net really could make a significant difference whether that's someone already at the club or a new signing.  The goals for column across the division, barring one or two quirks (e.g. Killie v Dundee Utd) or those whom you would expect to be relatively high scoring is ridiculously low.  Less than half the league are averaging a goal a game. 

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Have you taken into consideration how much it will cost to fly to Israel or Albania?

5 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Have you taken into consideration how much it will cost to fly to Israel or Albania?

Sure. According to the UEFA numbers, it seems approx 250k euro for qualification for third round qualifying. If we can’t manage to plan a 2 day trip to Albania or Israel for 22 people for under 250,000 then someone should really inform the club about Skyscanner or Expedia :thankyou:

We will have taken in 500k Euro so far and will get a further 280k Euro should we get past Coleraine. A further 300k In the unlikely event (but not impossible) we win away in the next round. 

At which point barring a minor miracle we would be playing a top top team. But the prize on offer for getting to the group stage is eye watering for a club like Motherwell. £2.9m Euros and 500k for a win. 

Getting to Group Stage would earn the club 4m Euros as a minimum. But since we cannot score highly unlikely. 

All that said if we do manage to get past Coleraine then we would earn 800k Euros which when you take into account costs and win bonuses would probably leave around 500k Euros.  The problem is that probably only helps to replace match day income from the SPFL.

5 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

We will have taken in 500k Euro so far and will get a further 280k Euro should we get past Coleraine. A further 300k In the unlikely event (but not impossible) we win away in the next round. 

At which point barring a minor miracle we would be playing a top top team. But the prize on offer for getting to the group stage is eye watering for a club like Motherwell. £2.9m Euros and 500k for a win. 

Getting to Group Stage would earn the club 4m Euros as a minimum. But since we cannot score highly unlikely. 

All that said if we do manage to get past Coleraine then we would earn 800k Euros which when you take into account costs and win bonuses would probably leave around 500k Euros.  The problem is that probably only helps to replace match day income from the SPFL.

Your numbers are substantially higher than what I believed was the case however I would suggest it highlights my original point better (if correct). 
We have netted 3 million from Turnbull. Of course, if for arguments sake, we say all revenue from Europe goes to plugging the lost match day revenue (as May well be the case), were still 3 million up. I’m not suggesting we smash 3 million on a player - far from it. What I am suggesting, to get back to the St Johnston game, is that the squad is unquestionably short and we will almost certainly, for the first time in 20 years, be in a healthy enough financial position to bring in 1 or two players to address that, whilst still having 2.5 million to invest in infrastructure.

Ps. There’s still a small amount coming in from The kipre Wigan sale also, no?