Season 2020’21: Game 7 St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Think MB is on the wind up on this one referring back to DDee U and McNamara. 

Losing Campbell would be a huge blow. His goals have contributed to 4 out of the lowly 5 points we have. 

How much would it take to sell him ? 

I Appreciate he has a year left but I would say somewhere between James Scott and Turnbull do between £1.5 and £3m. If we did get a bid around £2m that would be hard to turn down. But we would absolutely need to reinvest some of that cash in a couple or 3 decent replacements. You almost would be looking for proven players and not gambles as that would be too risky. 

Well sounds like we need to get his contract extended soon so that we are covered. Keeps the selling price up or keeps him playing for us. 
on the other matter if Robinson is on A few for each transfer I think that’s fine.  Nothing suspicious in our sales record to hint at any funny goings on. 

Our situation is nothing like Dundee Utds, and nothing this board has done over the last decade suggests the dodgy dealings they were up to. Where we are right now is night and day compared to the shit show we had under Boyle and Dempster.

Robinson doesn't have free reign over transfer dealings, but if part of his brief is to bring in players we can sell on, then I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of incentive/reward in his contract, likewise with Foyle.  However, I'd also be surprised if some random happens to know the ins and outside of someone's contract.

I'm more worried about the fact that we don't look anywhere near having another youth product coming through, which is the other part of his brief. 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Our situation is nothing like Dundee Utds, and nothing this board has done over the last decade suggests the dodgy dealings they were up to. Where we are right now is night and day compared to the shit show we had under Boyle and Dempster.

Robinson doesn't have free reign over transfer dealings, but if part of his brief is to bring in players we can sell on, then I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of incentive/reward in his contract, likewise with Foyle.  However, I'd also be surprised if some random happens to know the ins and outside of someone's contract.

I'm more worried about the fact that we don't look anywhere near having another youth product coming through, which is the other part of his brief. 

Totally agree about no youths coming through, I have been going on about this for a while.

Also if Robinson /Foyle on bonus for success stories there should be a clause where they get bonus cut when they sign dross as believe you me there have been plenty.  Anyway heres hoping we can beat coleraine as that would be massive boost...COYW

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

We didn't have a midfielder on the bench yesterday (unless you count maguire) and I don't trust Polworth and O'Hara with no competition, so whether we lose campbell or not, we really need backup there. God knows who that might be.

Jamie Semple is an attacking midfeidler but he's injured just now I think. Then there's another midfielder in young Dean Cornelius, who is long due his chance. Thats not to say we pitch them in at the deep end and rely on them week in week out.

43 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Jamie Semple is an attacking midfeidler but he's injured just now I think. Then there's another midfielder in young Dean Cornelius, who is long due his chance. Thats not to say we pitch them in at the deep end and rely on them week in week out.

I know I am a broken record but i feel Robbo has just cast youth set up aside.   People will say it's too risky to play the youths but can it be any worse than some of the current first team players?.  All about opinions and that is my view.  COYW

3 hours ago, fizoxy said:

We didn't have a midfielder on the bench yesterday (unless you count maguire) and I don't trust Polworth and O'Hara with no competition, so whether we lose campbell or not, we really need backup there. God knows who that might be.

I'm sure Robinson/Foyle will be well aware of the large amount of players who will be without a club north and south of the border come October 5.

Patience and trust are needed.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I know I am a broken record but i feel Robbo has just cast youth set up aside.   People will say it's too risky to play the youths but can it be any worse than some of the current first team players?.  All about opinions and that is my view.  COYW

This just isn't true. Turnbull, Scott, Hastie, Campbell etc have all come through under Robinson and flourished.

If they were good enough and ready for the first team, he'd be playing them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

A lot of suggestions to allow some money to buy a player or two but what players??

We are undoubtedly short in midfield. The problem is that taking a punt on two randomers coming from non-league English football isn’t what is required. We’re bereft of quality and experience. Of course, the later is easier to find than the former however someone that can play as a Traditional number 6 to screen the defence (with a bit of experience, to make sure we have the ability to secure a draw from time to time rather than a defeat when we’re under pressure) and a traditional number 10 that can link middle to front and score a few goals are essential.

17 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Before you want to jump all over my post accusing me of having a go at Robinson, maybe look at my follow up posts where I say it's not necessarily a bad thing and I was just pointing out that out as someone had said all the money was going directly to the club...

Fair dues but putting out unsubstantiated rumours is all some of the punters on here need , to beat him with

Even  to the extent you quoted a figure (8%) .If he’s on that fig of Turnbull deal, that sounds like 2 years salary , so I am dubious .

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

We are undoubtedly short in midfield. The problem is that taking a punt on two randomers coming from non-league English football isn’t what is required. We’re bereft of quality and experience. Of course, the later is easier to find than the former however someone that can play as a Traditional number 6 to screen the defence (with a bit of experience, to make sure we have the ability to secure a draw from time to time rather than a defeat when we’re under pressure) and a traditional number 10 that can link middle to front and score a few goals are essential.

You'd imagine that Donnelly would be our defensive midfielder; O'Hara the box to box type to take over from Allan Campbell when he leaves and Liam Polworth the creative one. As we know things have gone a bit awry with Donnelly's injury. We're still short of cover. Short term though, a loan signing for Donnelly might be a relatively cheap option (plenty of options from down south you'd think). It doesn't help that our wingers are failing to perform. 

18 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

A lot of suggestions to allow some money to buy a player or two but what players??

If campbell gets his move then Id go for young hamilton midfielder Scott Martin he impressed v us and I also liked how he did not back down from scott brown in a game v them. Similar in style to campbell . He would fit our wage structure im sure and also dont think a high fee would be required. 

31 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

If campbell gets his move then Id go for young hamilton midfielder Scott Martin he impressed v us and I also liked how he did not back down from scott brown in a game v them. Similar in style to campbell . He would fit our wage structure im sure and also dont think a high fee would be required

If our closest rival came to us shortly after making £3-5million in transfer fees and tried to buy one of our starters to fill the gap, reckon we’d be willing to sell for anything other than a high fee?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

You'd imagine that Donnelly would be our defensive midfielder; O'Hara the box to box type to take over from Allan Campbell when he leaves and Liam Polworth the creative one. As we know things have gone a bit awry with Donnelly's injury. We're still short of cover. Short term though, a loan signing for Donnelly might be a relatively cheap option (plenty of options from down south you'd think). It doesn't help that our wingers are failing to perform. 

I  agree completely about the problem right now is defensive midfield and a loan deal for an experienced defensive midfielder is what is required. Someone in the Makalele, Keane, Viera mould would be good (but a wee bit younger).

1 hour ago, Winning by Name said:

I  agree completely about the problem right now is defensive midfield and a loan deal for an experienced defensive midfielder is what is required. Someone in the Makalele, Keane, Viera mould would be good (but a wee bit younger).

The three you have mentioned would get in our team right now 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 9:10 AM, Andy_P said:

I'm not saying you are incorrect but the same squad might very well be challenging for a top six, or even a European place - oddly enough at the same time as trying to stay away from the foot of the table (split notwithstanding).

It looks already like Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Aberdeen are going to pull away and that there isn't very much between the rest. A striker who can regularly find the net really could make a significant difference whether that's someone already at the club or a new signing.  The goals for column across the division, barring one or two quirks (e.g. Killie v Dundee Utd) or those whom you would expect to be relatively high scoring is ridiculously low.  Less than half the league are averaging a goal a game. 

I'd agree there isn't much between most of the teams and even while Hibs and Aberdeen might be a bit better I don't even think on a game by game basis they're is anything to fear from either.

Our issue though is we can't score, which unfortunately pretty much negates any other qualities as it's impossible to win without a goal.

The number of goals scored this term just goes to highlight that the standard of the league is very poor but you'd imagine teams like Dundee Utd, Hamilton and Aberdeen will get more goals when their main strikers are back and fit and others have brought new guys in and are getting them up to speed - Livingston, St Mirren etc.

We, on the other hand, look like we'll be relying on the guys we have currently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu92 said:

If our closest rival came to us shortly after making £3-5million in transfer fees and tried to buy one of our starters to fill the gap, reckon we’d be willing to sell for anything other than a high fee?

I suppose you could be right but then so would all other teams. If we have the cash then we need to do it as if we dont then a relegation battle would unfortunately be reality without a decent midfield.

• Like 1

Even with the players we have we should be able to turn in much better performances and start to make more chances and score more goals. We have a good goalie and a good back four in O’Donnell, Gallagher, Mugabi and McGinley. Midfield we have Campbell and Polworth is a decent player. So I’d say we have 7 good players out of 11. O’Hara also decent if played in correct position. So maybe 8 out of 11. I think if we used our forwards better suited to their abilities we would get much better results. Long, Seedorf, Hastie and Hylton all have pace but we play to their feet making them have to beat defenders. We need to play balls behind the defenders for them to run onto. Through the gaps or over the top or give and go’s. Laing or Watt they have some control so we can play to their feet and have them bring others into play or hold the ball up. Whatever way, we have a squad capable of  Achieving top 6 finish. I think the manager just has to get us playing the correct formation and in a manner to play to our players strengths. 

14 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Even with the players we have we should be able to turn in much better performances and start to make more chances and score more goals. We have a good goalie and a good back four in O’Donnell, Gallagher, Mugabi and McGinley. Midfield we have Campbell and Polworth is a decent player. So I’d say we have 7 good players out of 11. O’Hara also decent if played in correct position. So maybe 8 out of 11. I think if we used our forwards better suited to their abilities we would get much better results. Long, Seedorf, Hastie and Hylton all have pace but we play to their feet making them have to beat defenders. We need to play balls behind the defenders for them to run onto. Through the gaps or over the top or give and go’s. Laing or Watt they have some control so we can play to their feet and have them bring others into play or hold the ball up. Whatever way, we have a squad capable of  Achieving top 6 finish. I think the manager just has to get us playing the correct formation and in a manner to play to our players strengths. 

For me, what I think we are missing is a pacey, tricky winger.

For all the faults of Ainsworth, Globy, Aarons - none of them were perfect, but each of them offered an outball who could not only relieve pressure on the defence but also make things happen in more dangerous areas, bringing our strikers more into it.

Hylton seems to be injured, Sherwin despite his showing early in the season is still pish and Hastie........ well if he was any good he would be playing.